A few piccies of UK...

Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few piccies of UK...

Woah, interesting thread. I've attached my contribution below - it was taken a couple of years back in Cornwall - north coast, on a seal-spotting foray. I love the UK and I'll be sad to leave it, but It is funny though, the differences between reality and expectations. I found Tangram's comments especially interesting, because I lived in Bath for 15 years - my wife was born and bred there. We were both heartily relieved to leave the place, with its utterly insane grid-locking, lung-choking traffic problems, 365 days a year tourists, millionaire-grade property prices and casual violence. I mean, take that photo of Pulteney Bridge, it looks great, but I know full well that not 15 yards from there is the kebab shop that the pissed up clubbers visit to bottle each other after a hard night in Cadillacs and then chuck up their meal in the nearest doorway. Reality and perception - it's especially only skin-deep somewhere as vain as Bath. However I'd heartily recommend this corner of the Cotswolds for anyone looking to return.
Attached Thumbnails A few piccies of UK...-cornish_cove.jpg  
Old Oct 15th 2005, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Blue Ridge Mountains not up to scratch then?
Yes they are lovely , the hiking however is not quite as straightforward as in the UK, we have kids and finding shorter /circular trails and even decent maps is a bit of a challenge. The Appalacian Trail is the biggie and we have walked bits of it near the Skyline Drive, but it's not generally v rewarding walking on short hikes. You also have the climate which means half the year it's too disgustingly hot to go walking in the first place. In fact in alot of instances here in the US we have found hiking rather unrewarding, Cades Cove in Tennessee being the biggest letdown of them all.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:40 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very fair and very perceptive comment, Hutch. Especially when you apply it in reverse - you just know that 99.9% of the photos that are generated about utopia (OK, so particularly Aus) could be levied with the same charge against them. Reality and perception ...

Originally Posted by Hutch
Woah, interesting thread. I've attached my contribution below - it was taken a couple of years back in Cornwall - north coast, on a seal-spotting foray. I love the UK and I'll be sad to leave it, but It is funny though, the differences between reality and expectations. I found Tangram's comments especially interesting, because I lived in Bath for 15 years - my wife was born and bred there. We were both heartily relieved to leave the place, with its utterly insane grid-locking, lung-choking traffic problems, 365 days a year tourists, millionaire-grade property prices and casual violence. I mean, take that photo of Pulteney Bridge, it looks great, but I know full well that not 15 yards from there is the kebab shop that the pissed up clubbers visit to bottle each other after a hard night in Cadillacs and then chuck up their meal in the nearest doorway. Reality and perception - it's especially only skin-deep somewhere as vain as Bath. However I'd heartily recommend this corner of the Cotswolds for anyone looking to return.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
It's a very fair and very perceptive comment, Hutch. Especially when you apply it in reverse - you just know that 99.9% of the photos that are generated about utopia (OK, so particularly Aus) could be levied with the same charge against them. Reality and perception ...
Quite right GG

You don't see many pictures of the Wino's or homeless around Sydney harbour do you?

G
Old Oct 15th 2005, 6:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Yep - just as true anywhere. It's like that classic shot of the Sydney Harbour bridge taken just to the left of the ticket boothes for the ferrys on Circular Quay. Looks great, but look over your shoulder and there's that naffing great fly-over the Cahill Expressway.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishhighereducation.co...ddersfield.asp
Attached Thumbnails A few piccies of UK...-hudds-rail-station.jpg   A few piccies of UK...-galpharm-stadium.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by adele; Oct 15th 2005 at 11:32 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

bloody hell the Town ground, I do believe they're top of the league as well..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: A few piccies of UK...

Originally Posted by woodsey
bloody hell the Town ground, I do believe they're top of the league as well..
Indeed they are m'dear, top of Division 1! I must confess that my family are Blades fans though - and we're top of the Championship, wooooooo!!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:36 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Some Autumn colours for you...and just ones taken at weekend..!Nothing exciting I am afraid..just countryside..!
Attached Thumbnails A few piccies of UK...-img_7434.jpg   A few piccies of UK...-img_7438.jpg   A few piccies of UK...-img_7441.jpg   A few piccies of UK...-img_7440.jpg  
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:00 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Some Autumn colours for you...and just ones taken at weekend..!Nothing exciting I am afraid..just countryside..!
You are lucky being able to walk your dog loose off the lead in such lovely scenery!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:28 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
You are lucky being able to walk your dog loose off the lead in such lovely scenery!

Yes I know....except we live near alot of farms etc and so we hear alot of shooting which Molly is terrified of. She will literally crawl her way back to the car if she can..!!bless her..!!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:02 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants

Absolutely beautiful ! Thanks for sharing them.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:08 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

God now I can't wait to go home at Christmas, never thought Town stadium would look so good. Great Hudderfield pics!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: A few piccies of UK...

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
God now I can't wait to go home at Christmas, never thought Town stadium would look so good. Great Hudderfield pics!
Aww...hope you have a great trip back! I wonder if I'll say that when I've emigrated and come back to visit?! We do have some nice landmarks and buildings and countryside, I'm trying to appreciate it all whilst I'm still here. I work in Leeds so spend lots of hours on the train gazing out of the window, it looks lovely in summer but when it's all windy and rainy it's far less easy on the eye

Take care!

Adele x
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:29 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
Aww...hope you have a great trip back! I wonder if I'll say that when I've emigrated and come back to visit?! We do have some nice landmarks and buildings and countryside, I'm trying to appreciate it all whilst I'm still here. I work in Leeds so spend lots of hours on the train gazing out of the window, it looks lovely in summer but when it's all windy and rainy it's far less easy on the eye

Take care!

Adele x

I did the commute to Leeds everyday as well. I appreciate Hudds way more now then I did back then. Never got homesick in my twenties, having too much fun, but now I crave for everything back home. Didn't think I could miss Yorkshire as much I do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.