Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:27 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Just watched the first episode of this season's Borgen and I really enjoyed it. Only downside, knitting and sub-titles don't always mix.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't watch TV at all but I do occasionally watch a movie on Hulu.com. Today I discovered they have a British page

http://www.hulu.com/british
Old Nov 28th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I am watching a 3-part drama/thriller on ITV/Iplayer called Unforgiven and it is really good. Lots of familiar faces. All 3 parts are available to watch at the moment.

It was written by Sally Wainwright, the same person who wrote Last Tango in Halifax.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I am watching a 3-part drama/thriller on ITV/Iplayer called Unforgiven and it is really good. Lots of familiar faces. All 3 parts are available to watch at the moment.

It was written by Sally Wainwright, the same person who wrote Last Tango in Halifax.
Well I never - didn't realise it was the same person. The two programs couldn't be more different (other than the setting).

Unforgiven was first aired about 2 years ago. Loved it - gripping drama, excellent character development, definitely not "formulaic". A bit brutal at times but not gratuitously so.

I didn't realise it was being aired again until I came across it while channel-surfing. It was halfway through the second episode so I recorded it and the third episode. The plan to catch up with parts 1 and half of Part 2 on iPlayer and then will catch up on the rest at my leisure.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well I never - didn't realise it was the same person. The two programs couldn't be more different (other than the setting).

Unforgiven was first aired about 2 years ago. Loved it - gripping drama, excellent character development, definitely not "formulaic". A bit brutal at times but not gratuitously so.

I didn't realise it was being aired again until I came across it while channel-surfing. It was halfway through the second episode so I recorded it and the third episode. The plan to catch up with parts 1 and half of Part 2 on iPlayer and then will catch up on the rest at my leisure.
I agree with your review. So 'gripping' in fact that I watched all 3 parts in a row last night and ended up going to bed at 2am (not that that is anything new ).
Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your review. So 'gripping' in fact that I watched all 3 parts in a row last night and ended up going to bed at 2am (not that that is anything new ).
That's a coincidence, I did exactly the same yesterday evening but at a slightly more civilised hour (between about 8:00 and 10:30).

I was surprised at how well my little tablet streamed the ITVPlayer, but after watching 90 minutes on a tiny 7-inch screen, I was happy to watch the rest on my 42" Samsung, courtesy of my digital recorder!

We need more dramas of that quality.

Interesting to see characters from Downton and the Paradise (and of course Scott and Bailey - Suranne Jones, the main character). The first time I watched it I don't think it even registered who they were, I just knew I sort of recognised them from somewhere!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:04 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I did exactly the same thing last night! I shall be sorry later when I want to take a nap and can't! I thought it was really good - obviously I couldn't stop watching it!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's a coincidence, I did exactly the same yesterday evening but at a slightly more civilised hour (between about 8:00 and 10:30).

I was surprised at how well my little tablet streamed the ITVPlayer, but after watching 90 minutes on a tiny 7-inch screen, I was happy to watch the rest on my 42" Samsung, courtesy of my digital recorder!

We need more dramas of that quality.

Interesting to see characters from Downton and the Paradise (and of course Scott and Bailey - Suranne Jones, the main character). The first time I watched it I don't think it even registered who they were, I just knew I sort of recognised them from somewhere!
I watched all the episodes together when it was first shown. I prefer to do that instead if waiting until the next night or week. I enjoyed it...as I do with most programs staring SJ...although....

Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty obvious right from the start whodunit.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:35 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I watched all the episodes together when it was first shown. I prefer to do that instead if waiting until the next night or week. I enjoyed it...as I do with most programs staring SJ...although....

Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty obvious right from the start whodunit.
Spoiler:
I was very slow to catch on and when I realised who dunnit, I thought to myself that I was probably one of the last people to figure it out. Usually I get it pretty quickly and then I spend the whole show waiting for the reveal, but I quite liked not having it figured out and then being surprised
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:53 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Spoiler:
I was very slow to catch on and when I realised who dunnit, I thought to myself that I was probably one of the last people to figure it out. Usually I get it pretty quickly and then I spend the whole show waiting for the reveal, but I quite liked not having it figured out and then being surprised
Spoiler:
I must be really stupid because I didn't figure it out until they actually showed it! [The first time I watched it, I mean; the second time I was quicker to catch on. ]
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Given this thread has diversified to non Brit TV - and good stuff too - I'm going to ask for recommendations of TV shows similar to the following and, of course, keep the other stuff flowing.

Themes running through Spooks, The State Within and Homeland are MI5/MI6 and US equivalents, computer wizardry aided surveillance/decoding, Political shenanigans (Party and with a small p), undercover work often of a scary nature, the portrayal of real or close to real events (albeit with a bit of embellishing) conspiracy, cover ups, innocents caught up in things, ruthless baddies, etc etc

The Hour also contains many of these aspects just not the technical wizardry unavailable at that time.

Other possibilities The Last Enemy. The Grid. Alias.
I originally posted this elsewhere (it's a couple of posts merged which is why it reads a bit 'funny') Unfortunately people simply used it to post completely unrelated stuff that they liked - which is their right, of course.

But from the series mentioned here people are much more likely to suggest what I'm really looking for.

Utopia certainly fits the bill.

And I just discovered Rubicon which was, unfortunately, scrapped - not enough car chases or explosions for the American market - but was brilliant for the 13 episodes it lasted.

So....anything else?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:19 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Derek Jacobi is being interviewed on the Graham Norton radio show and has just mentioned that a third series of Last Tango in Halifax is being made.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Derek Jacobi is being interviewed on the Graham Norton radio show and has just mentioned that a third series of Last Tango in Halifax is being made.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
+1
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Given this thread has diversified to non Brit TV - and good stuff too - I'm going to ask for recommendations of TV shows similar to the following and, of course, keep the other stuff flowing.

I originally posted this elsewhere (it's a couple of posts merged which is why it reads a bit 'funny') Unfortunately people simply used it to post completely unrelated stuff that they liked - which is their right, of course.

But from the series mentioned here people are much more likely to suggest what I'm really looking for.

Utopia certainly fits the bill.

And I just discovered Rubicon which was, unfortunately, scrapped - not enough car chases or explosions for the American market - but was brilliant for the 13 episodes it lasted.

So....anything else?
I watched this episode of Panorama on "Britain's Secret Death Squads' the other day. It focuses on the MRF in Northern Ireland and was quite fascinating, if a little disconcerting .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhI_vs1gAX0

Obviously real life vs fiction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.