Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks Bristol but Idon't like to watch programs on sites where they require you to download their software... full of adware or worse.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not all British (some European), and mostly not mysteries, but good British/European cinema, nevertheless.

The State Within - political, mystery drama
Tell No-one (French) - murder mystery
Dear Frankie - feelgood movie
This is England - Gritty drama
I've Loved You so Long (French, but with Kristin Scott Thomas) - mystery drama
Anonymous - historical "mystery"
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (the newer version)
War Horse
The Secret in Their Eyes (Spanish) - mystery
In The Loop - hilarious political comedy
Brick Lane
North and South - historical TV romantic drama series set in the mills
Dirty Pretty Things
Sarah's Key (French, but with Kristin Scott Thomas) - mystery drama
State of Play (the British TV drama, not the US remake)
The Decoy Bride (Scottish comedy)
The Girl in the Cafe
Thanks DR. That should keep me going for a while!

Yesterday I started going through the pages on this thread and creating another list too. This is what I have so far:

The Fall
Forbrydelsen
Top of the Lake
A Mother's Son
Britain's Greatest Codebreaker
The Village
The Syndicate
Beaten
Wire in the Blood
Case Histories
A Life of Crime
Ice Cream Girls
The Politician's Husband

and I would add The Bridge.

It's not that I am always sitting watching TV but when I am working on my laptop, I plug in an external monitor and drag a page over to watch something as I'm working .
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
I too enjoyed Endeavour and eventually warmed up to the actor playing the character of Morse. Just heard on the radio, via Laurence Fox, that Lewis will be returning. That was a bit of a surprise as I thought they ended the series.
I think he's a very good actor and I too have definitely warmed to him.

I read that John Thaw's daughter Melanie played an editor in the first Endeavour episode. Morse (Shaun Evans) asked "Don't I know you from somewhere?". She replies "Perhaps in another life." Apparently you could have heard a pin drop on set after this scene.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thanks Bristol but Idon't like to watch programs on sites where they require you to download their software... full of adware or worse.
You don't need to. I haven't.

There is an option to do so sometimes (HD?)but it's not essential. Occasionally the only links available might require it but I've seen all Spooks on watchseries, all Spiral on Darewall and countless other series and tons of movies on those three (mainly vodly.to) without ever downloading anything to do so.

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 14th 2013 at 6:44 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You don't need to. I haven't.

There is an option to do so sometimes (HD?)but it's not essential. Occasionally the only links available might require it but I've seen all Spooks on watchseries, all Spiral on Darewall and countless other series and tons of movies on those three (mainly vodly.to) without ever downloading anything to do so.
Ok. That's good to know. I'll take a look.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 9:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Any opinions on the Christmas Downton? I quite enjoyed it, though the critics seem to be saying they thought it was bland and uneventful (no murders and no breakout of World War III).

It was definitely stilted towards a US audience. Money talks ...

I enjoyed it so much I rewatched Gosford Park last night. I must be getting doddery because this is probably the third or fourth time I've watched it and I couldn't remember whodunit until the very end!!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no need to download software on Darewall. I watch tons of stuff on there and haven't downloaded a thing. Had a lovely few hours watching 'Love Actually' on Christmas Eve and it was so nice to not have to search torrent sites looking for it this year.

I thought Downton was very dull this Christmas. I may stop watching next season as it just seems to have lost its way.

Loved the Christmas special of 'Last Tango in Halifax.' Oh Gillian .... whatever will you do now?!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I thought Downton was very dull this Christmas. I may stop watching next season as it just seems to have lost its way.
Loved the Christmas special of 'Last Tango in Halifax.' Oh Gillian .... whatever will you do now?!
Yes, I thought Downton was a tad dull this year... didn't hold my attention, I was half watching it and reading at the same time. No spoiler, but I couldn't work out why Lady Rose's mother wasn't presenting her at court - did they say why that was? And would Cora have been presented? I thought the convention was that only a woman who had herself been presented could do that for a girl... I guess it's a reflection on the plot that I got a bit fixated on such details!

I was a bit disappointed with Last Tango this season - every week it seemed the synopsis on the tv guide promised 'dark secrets' or 'revelations' but it seemed to me to be the same one secret re-hashed and told to someone else

Last edited by rebs; Dec 27th 2013 at 12:05 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I too was not captivated by Downton this time but I think I may have set my expectations too high. I was so excited! I also watched Call the Midwife, which I enjoyed. I have never really taken to the characters in Last Tango in Halifax but thought a couple of scenes towards the end of this episode were brilliant. All in all, I love my British TV!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I too was not captivated by Downton this time but I think I may have set my expectations too high. I was so excited! I also watched Call the Midwife, which I enjoyed. I have never really taken to the characters in Last Tango in Halifax but thought a couple of scenes towards the end of this episode were brilliant. All in all, I love my British TV!
I usually enjoy Downton but found the Christmas episode so boring I fell asleep. Haven't watched the other programs yet.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Theres no need to download software on Darewall. I watch tons of stuff on there and haven't downloaded a thing.

It's really amazing what can be found without downloading additional stuff.

There's more than I can deal with.

Vodly.to remains my favourite but there are too many people uploading too much rubbish these days.

A year ago one just needed to open the latest page to see what had been added and it was mainly recognisable and recent movies. Very often there would be something appealing, the release of which had passed me by.

Do the same now and it's almost as if people are uploading their entire video collections, regardless of whether it's any good. Now one needs to search for something specific, but if the release has passed me by how the hell can I search for it if I don't know it exists?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is supposed to be about UK TV programs, but for those who like a bit of Scandi drama, the Bridge is back on BBC4 tonight.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Sherlock is back! I just watched the New Year's Day episode and absolutely loved it. Such a bummer that they only make 3 episodes every few years, but I will savour this one by watching it again in a few weeks.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Love Sherlock and of course Silent Witness is back. New cast and not quite the same but still enjoyable.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Bridge on Netflix. Bloody good show..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.