British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   ISIS/NAZI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/isis-nazi-867979/)

BEVS Nov 20th 2015 10:39 pm

Re: ISIS/NAZI

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11799466)
Nope! Forum protocols won't allow it apparantly?

Actually it would appear that Facebook has taken whatever it was down or it was removed by whoever put it up on Facebook.

Red Eric Nov 20th 2015 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11799420)
Not really,
but it may be more accurate to say that the vast majority of terrorists in the present day world are Muslims.

In terms of terrorist acts in the EU, the vast majority are carried out by separatist organisations rather than religious groups.

GeniB Nov 21st 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11799480)
Actually it would appear that Facebook has taken whatever it was down or it was removed by whoever put it up on Facebook.

No Bevs. Sent and received three times by email since I tried to post it on here
could there be a policy of not showing pictures of children on the forum? Otherwise a bit of mystery

BlackBeardie Nov 21st 2015 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Ukkram (Post 11794221)
I don't think that ISIL is interested in PT as we do not have Halaal foods here and we mostly eat pork. They would die from hunger here.

I must add that what ISIL did remind me of Pearl Harbour. The Japs enticed war and got it. No diffs here at all. I think ISIL made a very grave mistake here and are even bragging about it.

Now they have the whole world to fight against. They cannot possibly survive the outcome of this atrocity. This will surely be the biggest mistake of their lives.

Actually I have seen Hallal meat for sale in Pão e Sucre here in the Algarve. And Tavira camara seems to be actively promoting Estacão permenente Islamico and the interior minister, a student of the Fullbright Programe and no doubt a fan of Madeleine Albright says we can have more people of the above mentioned ideology settled in Portugal.

Red Eric Nov 23rd 2015 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Munsterfan (Post 11794183)
....but what can we do RIGHT NOW? Not in 3-6-18-months from now, but now-now to stop these ruthless, well financed, clever terrorists?

As we're in Portugal, here are a couple of suggestions from one of Portugal's Euro MPs, Marisa Matias of the Bloco Esquerda, which she has pushed for "innumerable times" previously in Brussels without success.

An embargo on arms deals in the territories and to the groups at war.
A halt to the purchasing of oil from sources controlled by IS.

One would have thought those would have been pushovers to organise even before the Paris attacks, wouldn't one?

Fredbargate Nov 23rd 2015 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11800818)
As we're in Portugal, here are a couple of suggestions from one of Portugal's Euro MPs, Marisa Matias of the Bloco Esquerda, which she has pushed for "innumerable times" previously in Brussels without success.

One would have thought those would have been pushovers to organise even before the Paris attacks, wouldn't one?

Plus investigate the money trails

amideislas Nov 23rd 2015 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11800818)

Been there, done that.

The US, the UK, the EU, and a few others have had an arms embargo against Syria for years as part of the sanctions imposed 10 May 2011. Of course, Russia doesn't sign up to that. Perhaps Portugal also hasn't yet, but it is an EU member state, so....

As far as oil, it seems it's rather difficult to identify one source from another once it gets to market. IS is selling it to brokers who generally transport it through Iraq or Turkey. Once it's in transport, pretty difficult to tell where it came from.

But there are Sanctions on Syria’s oil and gas and electricity generating industries

Apparently, according to same links above, there is an asset freeze against, and prohibitions on making funds or economic resources available (including the supply of goods) to a specified list of people held responsible for the violent repression against civilians

Red Eric Nov 23rd 2015 5:20 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11800854)
The US, the UK, the EU, and a few others have had an arms embargo against Syria for years as part of the sanctions imposed 10 May 2011.

It doesn't appear to stop any of them arming various rebel groups, which is adding to the problems.

What Matias is calling for is a moratorium on the supply of weapons to anywhere IS are in control. She has so far failed to receive a response to direct questions on the matter of whether arms are still being supplied.

amideislas Nov 23rd 2015 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11800961)
It doesn't appear to stop any of them arming various rebel groups, which is adding to the problems.

What Matias is calling for is a moratorium on the supply of weapons to anywhere IS are in control. She has so far failed to receive a response to direct questions on the matter of whether arms are still being supplied.

ERM, I don't think anyone is supplying arms to ISIS. They generally steal most of it.

As for the other rebel groups, I seriously doubt that the US is the only supplier. After all, Saudi Arabia and the gulf states (e.g. Shi'a) aren't at all keen on any more powerful Sunni states in the region, and pretty much side with the west regarding Syria and IS.

Besides, the US is now becoming more wary of the "moderate opposition".

BEVS Nov 23rd 2015 7:14 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11799819)
No Bevs. Sent and received three times by email since I tried to post it on here
could there be a policy of not showing pictures of children on the forum? Otherwise a bit of mystery

There is no mystery. If a link is deemed unsuitable it is taken down manually. It would be snipped out and a note to say why.

The link you gave is not available via Facebook.

Here is the proof of that. This is what I get which I click on your link.

Attachment 123206

Perhaps try and find whatever it is via You Tube or similar.

mfesharne Nov 23rd 2015 7:31 am

There's a number of claims that the US are or were arming IS but of course we'll never know the truth about it any more than we'll ever know the truth about the deaths of Diana, David Kelly or Kennedy etc......... or even perhaps the truth about 9/11.

Personally, I've no idea what's true about any of 'em.

Red Eric Nov 23rd 2015 8:28 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11801028)
ERM, I don't think anyone is supplying arms to ISIS. They generally steal most of it.

I'm guessing that's Matias' point.

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11801028)
As for the other rebel groups, I seriously doubt that the US ...

Besides, the US...

Who mentioned the US? I mean, they're probably worth mentioning in this context, so thanks - but you appear to be responding to a post of mine.

And if the arms are coming from other Gulf States, I believe there's quite a trade between various EU countries (including the UK) and the Middle East.

amideislas Nov 23rd 2015 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 11801051)
There's a number of claims that the US are or were arming IS but of course we'll never know the truth about it any more than we'll ever know the truth about the deaths of Diana, David Kelly or Kennedy etc......... or even perhaps the truth about 9/11.

Well, there is a certain pre disposition to theorise about wholly evil US intent.

Nonetheless, I think most of ISIS weaponry is US-made, so naturally, it's a foregone conclusion...

As far as intent.... I seriously, highly doubt any conspiracy theory suggesting the US is intentionally arming ISIS. There is simply nothing that the US can gain from that. Yes, I know, there is this theory that all world leaders are engaged in a secret conspiracy to .. not sure what. But that's so incredibly unworkable... And if you believe that, you're giving them much too much credit.

mfesharne Nov 23rd 2015 8:53 am

Amideistas

I didn't say I believe the theory and in fact said "Personally, I've no idea what's true about any of 'em" - However a quick Google search will show you plenty of such theories that the yanks are arming them.

Munsterfan Nov 23rd 2015 6:50 pm

there is a certain pre disposition to theorise about wholly evil US intent.

Jesus Mother of God! This thread now seems to have morphed into a kind of Fox News type of 'reverse-viewpoint' blathering. Yes it’s the opposite perspective of conservative Fox News but still simplistic, myopic and sensational just a buncha ineffective arm-chair rhetoric. Since when did a Google search of anything other than methods to clean tiles become a valued resource of ‘truth’? Using this social media platform to validate a theory is like watching Coronation Street for relationship building tips. I dunno.

When I started this Post I was asking what WE (that's you and I) can actually DO (getting up out of the chair kinda ‘DO’) to identify and change some of the fundamental issues that create a fertile ground that encourages some disenfranchised young people in major metropolitan cities to join ISIL/ ISIS (whatever the name) and then carry out these appalling attacks! Is there anything creative and practical we can actually DO to try and “stop these ruthless, well financed, clever terrorists”?

What powerful indoctrination is it that can convert an everyday human being from enjoying being alive, respecting themselves and their own community into a person who can kill strangers and even themselves with aplomb? And more disturbing and thought provoking, for me personally, is the knowledge that this Western society that I (an immigrate myself), so love (foibles and all) and continue to participate in developing and protecting, is failing to inspire and embrace these young immigrates. What can we DO? Where have WE (I) failed as a society and community member?

F--k ALL the politicians, ‘Heads of State’ and all those sick terrorist organisations! They all play the same fighting/killing 'I want what you have' or 'I want to destroy what you have' games that they’ve done since the ‘Dawn of Man’ and so it is.

BUUUUUT what about us? What are we ourselves doing to address this problem? U.S. President Harry S. Truman had a sign on his desk that said: “The Buck Stops Here.” ......and so it should, yes?