Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old May 6th 2021, 8:05 am
Just Joined

ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

My husband's notification was 4 days, mine is almost 3 weeks. It seems that different areas deal with it very differently. The process is not centralised, so it depends on which region is dealing with you. In addition, they also asked for different documentation...as far as we know all the pictures and digital signatures are done in Faro. My husband had to be there for 9am. And by 9:07am, he was finished. I've got my appointment next week.

Old May 6th 2021, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
After we have paid our €30 and then submitted our UK licence, is the next thing we get the new PT licence in the post? Or is there a request to attend to have a photo taken, for example?. If not, I guess they use the DVLA's photo?
Also, the temporary bridging PT licence valid till the end of the year can't be used abroad I understand.
If you previously registered your U.K. licence with IMT, you may not need to attend an appointment. My new licence was issued using the photo and signature taken when they registered my licence a few years ago.
Old May 6th 2021, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShazD
My husband's notification was 4 days, mine is almost 3 weeks. It seems that different areas deal with it very differently. The process is not centralised, so it depends on which region is dealing with you. In addition, they also asked for different documentation...as far as we know all the pictures and digital signatures are done in Faro. My husband had to be there for 9am. And by 9:07am, he was finished. I've got my appointment next week.
Thank you. Quite some variation there! When did you send off your licences, after paying the €30? This year?
Old May 6th 2021, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
If you previously registered your U.K. licence with IMT, you may not need to attend an appointment. My new licence was issued using the photo and signature taken when they registered my licence a few years ago.
Unfortunately not. Residency in November, sent licence early March.
Old May 6th 2021, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately not. Residency in November, sent licence early March.
Sort of change of subject but on my phone or Mac this says this message was sent at 4:30pm today when it’s only 9:30 ish here in sunny Lagos. Is my phone set wrong or is the system somehow wrong? Very confused
Old May 6th 2021, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you. Quite some variation there! When did you send off your licences, after paying the €30? This year?
We sent them yesterday!
Old May 6th 2021, 1:04 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Sort of change of subject but on my phone or Mac this says this message was sent at 4:30pm today when it’s only 9:30 ish here in sunny Lagos. Is my phone set wrong or is the system somehow wrong? Very confused
Wouldn't that have been the time in HK at that moment, and if so is it just coincidence? (cue Twilight Zone music).
Old May 6th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Wouldn't that have been the time in HK at that moment, and if so is it just coincidence? (cue Twilight Zone music).
You might be on to something there but my phone and my Mac are on pt time. Something in the gubbings might need changing. Maybe l should as Rosemary...
Old May 6th 2021, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShazD
We sent them yesterday!
I think we're at cross purposes here.
What I meant was, when did you submit/send your physical UK licence to IMT (after having paid the €30 fee)?
If you sent them yesterday (5 May) they would receive them today at the very earliest. I can't see how they would contact you for a photo appointment on the same day as receiving the UK licence.
Old May 6th 2021, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

The process has been quite muddled. As soon as we paid IMT the €30, they contacted us to name the place and time for the photograph. In addition, they also email a paper temporary licence. This was before we posted our UK licences. Hope this makes sense now.
Old May 6th 2021, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, got it!
Old May 7th 2021, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Lands21 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to Faro on the 17th July last year with all our paperwork and have finally received our Portugese driving licences yesterday, so they are working through the backlog!
Old May 7th 2021, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Sent prelim info on 20th March, still not even had an acknowledgement of application.
Checked with DVLA, UK licence still valid.
Old May 7th 2021, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lands21
We went to Faro on the 17th July last year with all our paperwork and have finally received our Portugese driving licences yesterday, so they are working through the backlog!
We went to Faro on 1 September last year. I received my plastic licence 2 weeks ago but my wife is still waiting for hers. I doubt they are getting through the backlog in any logical order.
Old May 7th 2021, 1:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
You might be on to something there but my phone and my Mac are on pt time. Something in the gubbings might need changing. Maybe l should as Rosemary...
I suspect it might be your user profile, which has a country of residence field.

If you click on "My Profile" and then on "Edit your details", it's there in the 2nd field down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.