Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA Police International Transition recruitment

WA Police International Transition recruitment

Old Nov 9th 2022, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Jacjos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA Police International Transition recruitment

I have 18 years, however I am only 38, so they will have enough out of me. surely the 3-5 years was a mistake because I would presume I would have dipped the initial stage
Old Nov 9th 2022, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Stanley79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig dag
Can completely corroborate this. Came over in 2007 also. Couldn't stand the job and thought I had committed career suicide. Quickly had enough of the anti DEAT attitude and pulled the pin. Luckily, I found a new career here that I love and the lifestyle is so much better than the UK. Don't come here for career progression (although it may happen) come for the lifestyle. TJF everywhere!
what is a DEAT if you don't mind me asking?
Old Nov 10th 2022, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Supposedwhale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mossy1986
That’s the first time I’ve heard they’re looking for people with between 3-5 years experience. I’m assuming this is because they want young in service so they can get a decent stretch out of us? I have 5 years in at the moment.

I’ve heard it will be a quick turnaround from application to start.
I've heard quite a bit about it being a quick turnaround as well but the only reason I thought it would be later was I saw on the let's join forces website in the faq section for international applicants

"Initial intakes are planned to commence late 2023, however the program will take place over the next five years. Specific commencement dates will be discussed with successful applicants."
Old Nov 10th 2022, 10:36 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

I'll do my best to answer some questions that have not been answered yet.

'DEAT' I think it stands for something like 'Direct Entry Applicant Transitional' Which is what the first wave back in 2007 were referred as.
When there was the first wave of international recruitment, there were aspects that could have been handled better, within WAPol and at the academy. There was some resentment amongst existing Aussie coppers who had the 'they're stealing our jobs' BS attitude. But not helped by some DEATs coming over and slagging off the way WAPol did things and constantly going on about how UK cops do it better. TBH, WAPol don't give a toss about what could be done better. In my experience it's WaPol's way or the highway. You're not going to change the way WAPol do things by harping on about how much better they did things in the UK.
There's no animosity at all between Aussie and UK cops now. They're more than happy to have you over, helping out and filling in all the gaps.

Psyc testing. Basically loads of questions answered on a computer. It's best to take you're time and answer honestly as more often then not the same kind of questions will be asked in slightly different ways to catch you out. There was also an interview with a psychologist as well where some of you responses were discussed. That made for an interesting interview!

3-5 years. Not sure on where this may have come from. When the last international recruitment happened, they were looking for officers with minimum of 3 and a maximum of 10 years service.
There's always talk of WAPol only wanting to get 5 years service out of you (if you're a new recruit) and after that they don't care if you leave and make no effort to keep you. I think this comes down to the fact that after 5 years you qualify for 1st Class Connie, which involves a reasonable pay increase and as such you cost the job a certain amount, so they're happy to see you go.

I also want to reiterate what has also been said. The GD job here is hard and getting harder. But it is in no way anywhere near as bad as it is in the UK. Despite the pay dispute going on at the moment, the State Government, along with the general public and the press are hugely supportive of the police here in WA and the pay and conditions are way better.
I have sh*t days and I have good days, just like anyone else. What makes the difference is the quality of life that you will have here when you're off duty. That's what I love about life here in WA. The Sun shines for the most part and you can afford to make plans and see them through.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Any update from anyone, all seems to have gone quiet.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

G345 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've put and application in with 5 years service in the UK and have been waiting for a great opportunity like this to come up! I was wondering if anyone knows the answer on here at all to a question I have?

Do you have to pay for the full visa cost for yourself and spouse? Or does WAPOL cover the fee for you? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

I believe this is not mate FYI. The costs for the visa are:
  • $4,240 AUD for the main applicant
  • $2,120 AUD for an additional applicant 18 years old and over
  • $1,060 AUD for an additional applicant under 18 years olD
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

G345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacjos
I believe this is not mate FYI. The costs for the visa are:
  • $4,240 AUD for the main applicant
  • $2,120 AUD for an additional applicant 18 years old and over
  • $1,060 AUD for an additional applicant under 18 years olD
Cheers mate, was thinking this would be the case, just can't seem to nail it down anywhere on their website or forums, just assume you'd have to cover it, I can't imagine they'd want to pay out for it. I best get saving lol.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Mate, One day I’m working out costs, then I gotta stop myself and say, you have passed the first phase hahahah I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t either.

Old Nov 13th 2022, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Leyfed is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the take home pay after all deductions ( Inc pension ) for a Level 5 Constable?

Old Nov 14th 2022, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacjos
Thanks for that post mate. Very informative and some good points to take in. I have read a few negative things, however the negative with the job seems the same as here. I do think that is policing these days, society has changed and the respect I was taught to give just seems to be fading away. I’m only 38 lol.

Would you say the better work life balance is worth the points you raised? I am trying to be realistic, I know I’m not gonna move and have a massive house with pool and everything that we dream of. I just want a nice house, nice area and be able to enjoy family time and see my boys grow, the move is more for them than me. It’s something I have always wanted, however since have my 2 boys it’s pushed me to want it more.
Yes, Perth is cheaper than East Coast - but 'nice house, nice area' is always going to cost. You can check out REIWA, but I would think you are looking at 700k+.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Rachwales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notbrazil
I'm also a Sergeant and weighing up whether or not to go for this. Regarding pensions, according to the WAPOL site and the HMRC site, you CAN 'transfer' a UK pension into the WA superannuation fund but from what I gather, you're essentially just going to get your contributions back to put into the super fund. Pensions seem to be quite different over there than here. Our pensions in the UK are made up towards the end, meaning you get rewarded for staying in the scheme until retirement.

If your husband has 25 years in, he will have a significant chunk in the 1987 and 2006 pensions. To be frank, leaving the pension after 25 years is a HUGE call to make. He will definitely lose out on a very significant amount of money. Whether that's worth it or not is another matter of course.
Hi, thanks for replying it really means a lot. I can’t get my head around the pension part and commutation. a rough guide surrounding what he could possibly lose (not looking for figures but just an understanding). He joined at 19 and got spammed with missing out at retiring at 49.. He’s 45yrs old i think he is still young enough to transfer and embark on a new chapter, he has doubts and think he may be too old and of course how much of a financial hit we would take by moving. Just need more information to weigh up the pros and cons. Work life balance are our main reasons. Ideally it would also eventually give our daughter more options for her chosen career once she finishes uni.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Rachwales is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saw the news clip with WA ideally wanting 3-5yrs service??? This isnt mentioned on the recruitment info. Hubby has passed initial sift, with a long service record, does anyone know if this has been changed for any new applications or now for the whole recruitment campaign?
I know the clip said ideally 3-5yrs but this happened on WA’s last recruitment drive with a sudden change of level of service they wanted officers to have.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

mossy1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachwales
Just saw the news clip with WA ideally wanting 3-5yrs service??? This isnt mentioned on the recruitment info. Hubby has passed initial sift, with a long service record, does anyone know if this has been changed for any new applications or now for the whole recruitment campaign?
I know the clip said ideally 3-5yrs but this happened on WA’s last recruitment drive with a sudden change of level of service they wanted officers to have.
I have a friend in WAPol who transferred over 9 years ago. He seems to think that when he applied 3-5 years was preferential and they gradually opened it up to up to 10 years then not sure after that.

It could be totally different this time however. I’m wondering if after the initial sift they may start to prioritise the length of service? It’s all speculation of course.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if the person in the news clip meant to say that ideally they're looking for at least 3-5 years service? That would seem to make more sense. The WA Police Commissioner had this to say on 15 October 2022.

"Policing styles in the UK, Ireland and New Zealand are quite compatible with ours, and transition programs have previously worked in our favour.

"My message to officers working in those countries is simple. We want skilled, experienced constables to work on the frontline to help us cover the biggest policing jurisdiction in the world.

"If you have at least three years' experience in your Police Force and you are under 55 years of age, we want to hear from you."
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...campaign-.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.