Me and My Family

Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

Gazza,

Seems that the ball park figure for pawning gold here is 75% of the item. This is the scrap value. This is 6.5 grams (from memory) and 21 carat. I did an on-line valuation from a British dealer and was quoted 9500 peso (£ equiv). And this is when the £ value is very low against the peso.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:25 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry re: Me and My Family

Most Filipino jewellery is overpriced crap. Better off buying used jewellery, whereby someone has already paid the total VAT, and the manfacturing cost.If your g/f is looking for investment purposes just buy gold bullion,you get what you pay for PHP per gram. No arguments when you sell it. It's easy as you,well know to look up the daily rate on the commodities market.

Incidentally, what happened to the shoe business, seems to have gone quiet!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikek1
Most Filipino jewellery is overpriced crap. Better off buying used jewellery, whereby someone has already paid the total VAT, and the manfacturing cost.If your g/f is looking for investment purposes just buy gold bullion,you get what you pay for PHP per gram. No arguments when you sell it. It's easy as you,well know to look up the daily rate on the commodities market.

Incidentally, what happened to the shoe business, seems to have gone quiet!
To our eye most filipino jewellery does look crap but that is because we buy jewellery as a fashion statement, my wife wouldn't even look at 9k. Filipino jewellery is just mobile weath and nothing more.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

mikek1,

You have completely misunderstood her purpose for selling gold jewelry on line. She is not investing in gold per-se. She has a market for gold jewelry and is supplying that demand. Yes, the profit she makes partly goes into gold jewelry which she wears and looks upon as an investment. I do not agree that it is an investment as I explained some time ago. The gold jewelry is not crap but Saudi gold and the valuations she gets confirms that.

The shoe business....she is trying to get a business loan to rent a shop and stock a small number of shoes as an example of what she can supply. She wants to also stock other items and the total investment would be about 300k from the last I heard. To obtain a business loan it appears that a requirement is that she needs to own a credit card. We have been trying for the credit card for the past couple months and jumping through the usual hurdles and red tape. It is a slow progress. Once she has a credit card, she can apply for a loan.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:26 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Stokkev,

As I previously mentioned, I am sure the damage went down to a silver metal so no matter what burnishing or polishing will do, it will leave the silver metal exposed. Which leaves me with suspicions on what this jewelry is made from. I could be mistaken though and will have to have a another look.
With a burnishing tool you press the raised sides of the scratch to fold them back into the void and the polish the area. Assuming the scratch did not remove any gold then the final result will be extremely hard to see there has been any damage. Only one problem with this is that you may have to polish the rest of the item to make it look as bright as the repaired area.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:06 am.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the bank the other day and was told it takes 3 months to obtain a credit card. There are 2 methods,the first is fill in the usual forms which require a lot of information ,salary,employment etc. The second method is a form that requires basically just a signature.This is a form of recommendation from the bank. If you have a good track record with the bank,the manager has only to countersign the form.

A couple of things I did find unusual that there are age limits for aquiring a cc and a minimum income of PHP 10k month. We use BDO bank, other banks may have a different lending criteria.

Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Greetings
How do you guys out there get on with this scenario? Your lovely lady and her family wish to go to a relatives get together (blessing, christening or whatever) which is a 10 hour return journey. This will involve the inevitable visit to Jollibees (how I hate that place) and following the family around various malls. And getting up at silly o'clock in the morning?

Now, I will normally support my lovely lady at these events if only her and I are invited. However, if a long journey is involved and/or she has a family member to accompany her, then I reserve my right to get involved. This has happened on two occasions and on both occasions (but involving over night stops) there was no big deal except that I think the family cancelled the trip. However, we and the family have been invited to a gathering tomorrow along the lines of the question I have already posed. It does not involve an overnight stop but I have declined to go. Although no pout has been involved (yet) there are dark murmerings and she has just embarked on cleaning the whole house. From previous experience this means that manure might be about to hit the fan. Now, she wants me to go to these gatherings because she is afraid to leave me alone. Perhaps she thinks I will go whenching and getting drunk when I am left alone. But as I have already described on these exalted pages, I hate these gatherings but go out of loyalty. I also have problems with my back which was exacerbated by a freak accident about a month ago when I tore a hamstring. I need to get up after sitting for an hour or so and stretch my legs.

Anyway, we shall see what materializes. ......

Regards

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 24th 2017 at 2:46 am.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

I also hate family gatherings, and do not go.The best thing I ever did was to buy a car here.......I have complete independence and can go off on my own.
I have just met a single man from Saudi who rents a house in our sub division. He was absolutely thrilled because he thought he was the only foreigner on the estate. The other half does not mind me going to house, although I am always coming back intoxicated.
Want mention the gathering of giggling young girls that gather at his house.

As you say it's more fun in the Philippines!

As I have suggested before you really need to have some non Filipino friends.My wife understands that so it's no problem for me to 'wander off'

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:26 pm. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Dec 10th 2016, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Mikek1,

I doubt if I would buy a car here. Apart from the fact that we do not really need one, I know what it will be......*God has given you a gift, so you must share*. But then of course it will be....."Can I borrow 500 peso to put fuel in the car so I can borrow tomorrow". We can get around here quite easily with the numerous tricycles etc. Long distances by bus which may be once every month or so. It will be creating more problems than it solves.

I have a number of ex-pats here with which we socialize. I think her big problem is insecurity. She thinks maybe I will be up to no good or perhaps I need looking after. None of which is true of course. Yes....I do enjoy a few beers which attracts that disapproving pinay stare. But. She must get used to the fact that I am here in retirement to enjoy myself. I do not need to be in her pocket all the time. Hopefully in time she will recognize that. We will see what tomorrow brings.

From another story which I will share next time, I found out from her father that the family (inc me) will be spending Xmas away for 5 days with their relatives about a million miles away. She has not mentioned this yet. I will go as a matter of courtesy on this very special occasion. But just for one night. That should bring an interesting response ......

Regards

Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Greetings...

My lovely lady left this morning at 3.00 am and arrived 5 hrs later for a Jollibees stop. How I hate that place. Now trooping around the malls with family in tow and will soon be making onward journey for the birthday celebrations. Only had one text message and 3 phone calls to make sure I was ok. Or up to no good. She must have asked me another half a dozen times if I wanted to go. Including 2.00 am when she got up. She accepted my excuses but acted like a broken down angel. I did feel sorry for her, bless her. And I do miss her....soppy sod that I am. But I am glad she went with my blessings and I would have hated it if she stayed here feeling sorry for herself.

Now I was pre-armed about this visit....because something similar happened last week. Then she just mentioned that we have been invited to lunch at a relatives house and of course I said yes without asking questions. But it wasn't just a lunch. She was clever not to add detail otherwise I would not have gone. Now I ask questions. On that occasion we left the house and I was surprised/horrified her waddly sister came with us. I knew she would not pay for anything. But I was more taken back when we went to her parents house and the whole tribe was going also. The father had rented a car for the occasion. I learnt he got his Xmas bonus and he was now a one day millionaire. Two day millionaire actually including todays trip.

That trip was to a large family gathering celebrating all manner of things. So much for....invited to lunch. We took in the inevitable Jollibees...Have I mentioned how I hate that place? They love it....a special treat for them. Dad was paying though. A trip to the local mall with wads of cash dished out by him and then to the mass gathering. Did not enjoy it....and I could not find a watering hole. However her father hates malls and Jollybees and we both sought sanctuary in waterholes and toasted everything under the sun. Family wasn't best pleased though. I got the renowned pinay stare.

It was then he told me about Xmas for 5 days a million miles away. I hope he didn't notice my jaw drop in horror. Still yet to be informed officially about that yet. Should be interesting.

I was invited to another field trip next week. Already wrote about the last one. Never again. Cue one sad looking Pinay.

I mentioned that she gave away our Xmas decorations and tree a while back. No mention of replacements fortunately. I think we are the only house not festooned with lights etc.

She still has not got that gold necklass fixed. Lame excuses I feel, but I may be wrong. Need to recoup some of that 15,750 peso. But it has saved a bit of money for me already. She saw a gold necklass for Xmas present....about 12k I think. Yes....she has expensive tastes. But I reminded her that I had forked out already and didn't quite have the readies for anything that expensive. So she had to make do with something a bit cheaper. Saved me 4k so far. Will save a bundle on an engagement ring if she doesn't get that necklass fixed soon.

Right....off to the beach for a few quiet beers. And enjoy the scenary.

Had a further 2 calls since I have been tapping away at this. The usual 50,000 questions. Bless her.

Regards

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 24th 2017 at 2:47 am.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

We took in the inevitable Jollibees...Have I mentioned how I hate that place?
With you on that one, I have no idea why people like it. My missus cooks far better food than they do, heck even I do.
I mentioned that she gave away our Xmas decorations and tree a while back. No mention of replacements fortunately. I think we are the only house not festooned with lights etc.
Mine did that the first year we moved here ( except the tree ), when the next Xmas came round she expected it all to be replaced - it wasn't. She now understands that if she gives things away I considered it not required any more.
Right....off to the beach for a few quiet beers. And enjoy the scenary.
Wish I was round your place this evening, raining like mad here and about 90 deg horizontal lightening.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 24th 2017 at 2:47 am.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Greetings!

Just a quick moan...as you do.

I mentioned that I thought I saved about 4k on my lovely ladies Xmas present this year. She still hasn't got that necklace fixed btw....waiting for the repairer. Apparently. Anyway, the Xmas present was to cost 8k but just been informed that because its bespoke, it will be an extra 1465 peso. Nothing was mentioned about that when we ordered it. Ok, its only 1465 peso but its the principle that counts. I wonder if she knew this....she says its the first bespoke item she has bought. Lesson learnt for next time. Oh, and instead of having two nights in a hotel over Xmas, it shall only be one now. I am sure she will understand... :-)

Her father paid me 1k for the e-juice the other day which surprised me actually. The cost was 1.4k actually and he said he would pay the balance next day. Think he meets next year. So, my cunning plan to save 300 peso for bottles of e-juice has gone astray. Will just add that to the bill for next time he wants some. As I have said before....money is not the issue. Its the principle.

Reminds me when her waddly sister was desperate for a 2k loan before the Presidential elections here. I took pity on her plight as you do and she promised it will be repaid after the election. Silly me....I forgot to ask which election. The one a few months ago or the next one in a few years time. Don't like being mislead or lied to.

Lovely lady went out the other night with her two sisters. Waddly and Sloth. To do some shopping. I took the advantage of putting on a DVD to watch which is a bit of a rare treat. She does not like my dvds. Plus a beer....or two. She comes back and sees me enjoying my DVD plus cold beer and I could see disapproval in her face. I asked if she wanted to watch her favourite soap but legged it into the bedroom to watch it there. I knew then she was not enamored with me, my dvd and beer. So, I had another one....as you do. She came out an hour or so later and sarcastically made a comment about *still drinking*.....and not happy. So she went to bed. No problem....I had another couple of cold ones and watched another DVD. She was ok in the morning....I was expecting the dreaded Pinay Pout. Guess she has learnt now that I am not under her thumb. I rarely put on my DVD's (music concerts) because she likes her soaps.....or because she does not like my music dvds. Think its a bit of both.

All for now

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:27 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Reminds me when her waddly sister was desperate for a 2k loan before the Presidential elections here. I took pity on her plight as you do and she promised it will be repaid after the election.
Think yourself lucky, I got caught for P10,000 from the missus last election to take some women to Boracay.
Lovely lady went out the other night with her two sisters. Waddly and Sloth. To do some shopping. I took the advantage of putting on a DVD to watch which is a bit of a rare treat. She does not like my dvds. Plus a beer....or two. She comes back and sees me enjoying my DVD plus cold beer and I could see disapproval in her face. I asked if she wanted to watch her favourite soap but legged it into the bedroom to watch it there. I knew then she was not enamored with me, my dvd and beer. So, I had another one....as you do. She came out an hour or so later and sarcastically made a comment about *still drinking*.....and not happy. So she went to bed. No problem....I had another couple of cold ones and watched another DVD. She was ok in the morning....I was expecting the dreaded Pinay Pout. Guess she has learnt now that I am not under her thumb. I rarely put on my DVD's (music concerts) because she likes her soaps.....or because she does not like my music dvds. Think its a bit of both.
I can only assume that her soaps look and sound the same on both TVs and as such she should avail her viewing to the TV that is not in use. Having said that I do agree with her about your nasty drinking habit, SM Pilsen is far better than red horse and should be drunk in great quantities..

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:07 am.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Stokkevn,

Pilson is actually quite good....but I prefer Red Horse. Guess I will have to admit to her that she is driving me to drink. Joking actually, but as I might have mentioned before, I drink a fair amount of water during the day and a couple of bottles of Red Horse is a great thirst quencher. That's my excuse....and I am sticking by it. No doubt your lovely lady wouldn't mind you spending 10k to take some females to Boracay either....

It is the start of Xmas festivities here and no doubt she will want to go to a few of them. I am not particularly interested so she will go with her sisters. Which leaves her in a quandary. She hates leaving me alone because she thinks I will get up to no good. Like having a couple of beers for instance on the beach. Now, she used to have duplicate keys for the gate and house but mysteriously "lost" them a few days ago
which means she takes the originals and I am effectively stuck here. But now I retain the keys after letting her out of the gate. She doesn't like that and has questioned that but she knows I can escape. Which I am now doing. Personally, I think its good that we are not in each others pockets all the time. She hates me going out alone. Sadly.

We have two bikes. She insisted they were locked up in our compound under lock and key which is no problem. They might get stolen she says. Even though our gate is always looked. But because waddly sister now wants to borrow hers and sloth sister wants to borrow mine at random times.....they are now left unlocked. Seems that security is no longer an issue. And the old maxim applies....if God gave you a gift, then you must share. But it gets up my nose when they borrow my bike....without even asking.

Right....off to the beach for a few swift halfs. She and her two sisters have gone to watch basketball.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:27 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem with the bikes, apart from them being stolen, is that waddly and sloth will have no concept of looking after them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.