Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help for a 14 yr old

Help for a 14 yr old

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Help for a 14 yr old

Originally Posted by kato33
I should try that one now then. My boys hate being clean.......what kids do!
Edited in: I typed the following thinking you were responding to the horse one not the foam one! What a biff, sorry.
It started because no 1 son is hearing impaired and doesn't have great balance. He got on great with the horses and it really improved his confidence. Since he runs like Mr Bean/Forest Gump, it did him the power of good to be good at some kind of sport.

No 2 son is nicknamed 'The Grub' and has been known to take bites out of apples rolled along the floor to one of the ponies, and went though a phase of washing his hands in the water buckets and pinching the occasional pony nut (food not body part) When no 1 was riding, no 2 would be running and jumping into puddles of anything. The number of times he was stripped to a nappy and driven home covered in a car blanket or old coat .

On a positive note, No 2 son has the immune system of a rhino and is hard as nails. No 1 son has now sussed this is a good way to meet nice looking girls. He's even using hair gel and deodorant.

Last edited by Happy Wanderer; Jul 2nd 2007 at 8:41 am. Reason: Had a blond moment and didn't read the quote properly.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
Edited in: I typed the following thinking you were responding to the horse one not the foam one! What a biff, sorry.
It started because no 1 son is hearing impaired and doesn't have great balance. He got on great with the horses and it really improved his confidence. Since he runs like Mr Bean/Forest Gump, it did him the power of good to be good at some kind of sport.

No 2 son is nicknamed 'The Grub' and has been known to take bites out of apples rolled along the floor to one of the ponies, and went though a phase of washing his hands in the water buckets and pinching the occasional pony nut (food not body part) When no 1 was riding, no 2 would be running and jumping into puddles of anything. The number of times he was stripped to a nappy and driven home covered in a car blanket or old coat .

On a positive note, No 2 son has the immune system of a rhino and is hard as nails. No 1 son has now sussed this is a good way to meet nice looking girls. He's even using hair gel and deodorant.
No.1 son is a keen footie player so he is always dirty but does like to clean up now and again.

As for son no.2, he has armpits that smell like burgers and thinks having a wash means wetting a fingertip and wiping it down his cheeks.

Kids.........they are so funny
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

he has armpits that smell like burgers and thinks having a wash means wetting a fingertip and wiping it down his cheeks.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

hear hear.

But I wish them luck and finding a little work for the wee young lad will benefit him in huge ways.
Thanks & you're right Kato, a 14yr old is a young man, at an age where he needs social skills & experience. It is a vital part of growing up to network with others. Jacqui did ok with her other 2 boys (no bother came to her door), I'm sure she'll do ok with the youngest.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Thanks & you're right Kato, a 14yr old is a young man, at an age where he needs social skills & experience. It is a vital part of growing up to network with others. Jacqui did ok with her other 2 boys (no bother came to her door), I'm sure she'll do ok with the youngest.
did anyone questions your friends other boys and if bother came to her door? No!!!
I suppose I will have to repeat myself, I said I did not think a 14 year old should be left unsupervised for the duration of school holidays. For one thing he would be bored but for another, I think we should know where our children are. I didn't say that Jacqui was a bad mother, I didn't say she could not leave her son for a few hours here and there, I did not say that her other two sons had turned bad, I just said that for the duration of the school holidays it was, in my view best that he was supervised.

I also did not say that mothers should not leave their 11 or 13 year olds at home while the popped to the shops or finished work etc....there is nothing wrong with that for now and again. I personally don't think that any young teen should be left for the duration of the school holidays (and no I am not implying that they left him in the evening and weekends too before someone jumps on me).

oh you know what, I cannot be bothered. Another great NZ thread where anyone that dares to say anything other than the pack is hounded. Maybe that is the reason this board is dead???? Maybe it should say on the forum heading
New Zealand - posters welcome as long as you agree with the masses and don't dare say anything negative.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Boopy..............just ignore it mate.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Boopy..............just ignore it mate.
so you have taken your rosemary sprig back then?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lexylou

so you have taken your rosemary sprig back then?
Not at all, just think this is getting out of hand and best if the thread is finished rather than people getting all angry about things.

The question was for help regarding a teenager wanting to do some work, not about parenting itself so I think its best left now IMO.

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not at all, just think this is getting out of hand and best if the thread is finished rather than people getting all angry about things.

The question was for help regarding a teenager wanting to do some work, not about parenting itself so I think its best left now IMO.

I quite agree. :-)

Last edited by Lexylou; Jul 2nd 2007 at 3:13 pm. Reason: forgot smilie
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
did anyone questions your friends other boys and if bother came to her door? No!!!
I suppose I will have to repeat myself, I said I did not think a 14 year old should be left unsupervised for the duration of school holidays. For one thing he would be bored but for another, I think we should know where our children are. I didn't say that Jacqui was a bad mother, I didn't say she could not leave her son for a few hours here and there, I did not say that her other two sons had turned bad, I just said that for the duration of the school holidays it was, in my view best that he was supervised.

I also did not say that mothers should not leave their 11 or 13 year olds at home while the popped to the shops or finished work etc....there is nothing wrong with that for now and again. I personally don't think that any young teen should be left for the duration of the school holidays (and no I am not implying that they left him in the evening and weekends too before someone jumps on me).

oh you know what, I cannot be bothered. Another great NZ thread where anyone that dares to say anything other than the pack is hounded. Maybe that is the reason this board is dead???? Maybe it should say on the forum heading
New Zealand - posters welcome as long as you agree with the masses and don't dare say anything negative.

You seem to have a serious problem dear! The above post was a reply to Kato. Or do you feel left out when don't get a mention.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

You seem to have a serious problem dear! The above post was a reply to Kato. Or do you feel left out when don't get a mention.
yes I felt really left out, I feel I need your validation and approval.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:51 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

So has anyone got any bright ideas to help ????

I was thinking back to when I was that age............................. somewhere in the recess of my mind!!! I was either working ( paper rounds, cutting lawns, babysitting etc) or out with my mates! ( up to no good!! )
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
So has anyone got any bright ideas to help ????

I was thinking back to when I was that age............................. somewhere in the recess of my mind!!! I was either working ( paper rounds, cutting lawns, babysitting etc) or out with my mates! ( up to no good!! )
I used to wash up at one of the local restaurants for £2 per hour! And then get up to no good on my way home
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Come on please this seems to have turned into a finger pointing episode. Can we have less of that as it's not helpful to the OP.

Thanks

Sue
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help.
My friend has 14 yr old hard working young man that she wants to be kept busy for the next 3 weeks, while they're off school.
They live in Lower Hutt - he likes cars. Maybe cleaning them? She'd be grateful for anything to keep him out of bother while she's at work.
Any ideas?
What about volunteering at a local organisation. I don't know about NZ but here in the US many teens do volunteer work especially in the holidays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.