Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help for a 14 yr old

Help for a 14 yr old

Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:43 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for a 14 yr old

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993497]you people are pretty nuts.,..... what goes around comes around???? Are you serious?????? What because I said I would not leave my child unsupervised???? anyone would think I was a child abuser or somthing the way you wrote that..... QUOTE]

Lexy - this wasn't aimed at you. Calm down please. Sorry if you took offence. I can see how you read that from your post.

(It was meant for Nici - ie your efforts will go rewarded for all your necessary hard work.)
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:45 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kato33;4993510]
Originally Posted by kato33
If its so dull boring as you put it.............dont post on here.
Now why does it look like you are replying to me and not Lexy which you are??

How did you even do that?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:51 pm

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993497]
Oh and the reason people do not post on here anymore is because it is so dull boring. QUOTE]

Really? I know many have left because of posts of a personal 'attacking' nature. Although personally I like the breadth of BE.

I like different viewpoints, but I also think that if one posts something so forcefully, then surely we can then have a sensible grown up 'conversation' about it without it getting out of hand?

Witch hunts?? Can we all just take a step back and keep it less personal? It's a good debate and one which many mothers will feel a connection with.

Lexy, if you haven't been subjected to motherhood guilt yet then you're lucky and what out for it. Every mother feels guilty about something. Or there's something seriously wrong!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4993539]
Originally Posted by Lexylou

You're right, perhaps we (myself included) misunderstood this part from the tone of the message. Sorry. I am not trying to pick an argument with you Lexy, I honestly find it interesting the way you are so dogmatic in your views about years and years into the future that it raises my naturally curiousity in me, and in some it infuriates them.

I agree you, like everyone else are entitled to their opinions. But I would also hope you are open to then discussing them after posting them so strongly on a public forum. I'm sure you're game.

Can you not see how it is a bit blinkered and naive to be so assertive about what your situation will be like in 13 years time. (Do you actually live by a plan?) Although tbh, now that I'm typing this it's because I have made an error in assuming you are 'normal' and not uber rich. My potential mistake. So I suppose if you know you will always have money (through guaranteed investment returns or protected inheritance etc), no matter what infortune is thrown at you and your extended family over the next 13 years until your daughter is 14 herself, then you are absolutely right that you can be so definitive.

But then if this is the case some compassion for 'normal' people, who need to work to cover their costs of living, would be nice.

Otherwise, you really are putting unnecessary parental pressure on yourself IMO, don't you think? I know high standards are good by the way.

what are 'normal' people? why would you assume that I was rich? if I were rich and life full of money, I would not be posting on here on a Sunday afternoon while my daughter sleeps.

I was brought up by a single mother, father long gone after my sister was born, we had everything we needed and the thing I am most grateful for is that my mother was an excellent mother. She worked but we were never alone, In fact the age limit to be left used to be 16. She shared minding friends children when they were working and they looked after us when she was working. Every situation has a way out, everything else is in my book an excuse.

I will not apologize for wanting to be the best parent I can be. Oh and if I am not around my husband has the same high standards, we are not rich, nor do we have large trust funds, in fact there is no money in either family for us in the future but lets not make this a money issue. Its not about that.

I do have certain standards and its not blinkered to have them. I have strong beliefs that if my mother can do it with her limited budget and help then I can. I don't think she is super woman but she was a damn good mother and I will do my best to follow in her footsteps. She was organised, planned ahead, as she had to and she made sure that we were never left alone.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4993571]
Oh and the reason people do not post on here anymore is because it is so dull boring. QUOTE]

Really? I know many have left because of posts of a personal 'attacking' nature. Although personally I like the breadth of BE.

I like different viewpoints, but I also think that if one posts something so forcefully, then surely we can then have a sensible grown up 'conversation' about it without it getting out of hand?

Witch hunts?? Can we all just take a step back and keep it less personal? It's a good debate and one which many mothers will feel a connection with.

Lexy, if you haven't been subjected to motherhood guilt yet then you're lucky and what out for it. Every mother feels guilty about something. Or there's something seriously wrong!

I do feel guilty when I have to take her to nursery, but it is a good place, she loves it and I have to work. This post was not about that, its about what to do with a 14 year old in the holidays, and that is a completely different thing than leaving your child for an hour here and there. I think we both know that. The whole of the school holidays are a different thing and i suspect that you agree.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:01 pm

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993573]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

why would you assume that I was rich?
Normal meaning work for a living.

I didn't assume that you were rich. I was just saying that if you weren't, you couldn't possibly plan for all the things that might happen over the next 13 years that shatter your plans for your daughter. That's all.

No-one plans for devastation in their lives that changes everything. Fatal illness, accidents, divorce etc etc happen and change lives enormously. Beyond anything we can really imagine. That's all I was saying - you just never know what is around the corner and so why not try to avoid eating humble pie.

It's also not meant in a really personal way Lexy. We all do the best that we can. And I agree that high standards are a good thing.

Your mum was a strong lady. Good luck to you & hubbie with your parenting journey.

Edit to say - yes, we have taken a side track (sorry Boopy) ... but they're often the best threads!!

Second edit - I have a friend who three years ago was happily married with 2 primary school aged sons. A brief affair and a divorce later, followed by a fatal car accident at 40mph involving a huge lorry, has left her without a husband and children during this time. It does happen, but fingers crossed not to anyone else I know.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jul 1st 2007 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4993613]

I didn't assume that you were rich. I was just saying that if you weren't, you couldn't possibly plan for all the things that might happen over the next 13 years that shatter your plans for your daughter. That's all.

No-one plans for devastation in their lives that changes everything. Fatal illness, accidents, divorce etc etc happen and change lives enormously. Beyond anything we can really imagine. That's all I was saying - you just never know what is around the corner and so why not try to avoid eating humble pie.

It's also not meant in a really personal way Lexy. We all do the best that we can. And I agree that high standards are a good thing.

Your mum was a strong lady. Good luck to you & hubbie with your parenting journey.
you are right, no one knows what is going to happen but I have seen illness and divorce with my mother and she still managed so I think I have a good role model.

Each person deals with things in different ways. I think that there are ALWAYS options in things like childcare. If my mum could do it then I think anyone could have.

We can only do the best we can, but for me the best must mean that a child is always protected and supervised. I would go as far as saying that the decline in this attitude towards children is actually one of the main problems in the UK these days. I see it all the time and not everyone is lucky to have a 'good boy' or 'good girl', I am just not going to take that risk.

I am sure life will throw up lots of things that will challenge my foundations but no one said it was going to be easy so I am expecting that. I need to have them in place.

thanks
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4993613]

Edit to say - yes, we have taken a side track (sorry Boopy) ... but they're often the best threads!!

Second edit - I have a friend who three years ago was happily married with 2 primary school aged sons. A brief affair and a divorce later, followed by a fatal car accident at 40mph involving a huge lorry, has left her without a husband and children during this time. It does happen, but fingers crossed not to anyone else I know.

That is areal shame for that lady. What a nightmare losing her children. I know bad things happen all the time. I lost my best friend to a tumour recently and he had only just started his new life, getting engaged. He was a lovely man and his loss was awful. BUT that makes me even more determined to look after mine the best i can.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:12 pm

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993637]

but no one said it was going to be easy so I am expecting that. I need to have them in place.

thanks

Good attitude. You're welcome. I really need to go and spend some quality time with my kids now ..... although hubby is doing a fine job!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:19 pm

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993656]

That is areal shame for that lady. What a nightmare losing her children.
Yes it was awful. Although instant. One died from the shock of seeing the other being thrown from the car. Dad was driving and survived unscathed. Absolutely heartbreaking and haunting for a very very long time.

Sorry for the sad ending. I'm signing off now. Let's all go and appreciate our loved ones.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4993553]

Now why does it look like you are replying to me and not Lexy which you are??

How did you even do that?
sorry about that uk+kiwi.

Well I attempted to take the kids to the park but after 30 mins of soaking in our wonderful weather I decided to come home and watch the Diana concert which is on soon.

I am not here to argue with anyone, all new friends are needed when the big move comes.

So with olive branch aloft, Lexylou lets agree to disagree on this matter.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=kato33;4993747]
sorry about that uk+kiwi.

Well I attempted to take the kids to the park but after 30 mins of soaking in our wonderful weather I decided to come home and watch the Diana concert which is on soon.

I am not here to argue with anyone, all new friends are needed when the big move comes.

So with olive branch aloft, Lexylou lets agree to disagree on this matter.
Am not keen on olives but if you have sprig of rosemary you have a deal!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lexylou;4993797]

Am not keen on olives but if you have sprig of rosemary you have a deal!
Olives yuk!!

Rosemary it is then.

Just ignore me when I rant, didn't take the prozac this morning so like a bear with a sore head
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Help for a 14 yr old

The original - quite excellent question - has the potential to become a brainstorming session that could benefit a lot of parents in a similar position.

The tone of the very first post suggests that this mother is a good one, whether she leaves him or not. The testament to that is the description of him and the fact that someone un-related was willing to come on here and vouch for him publicly.

Since olive branches have been given, and good will is over flowing - perhaps we could come up with some answers to the original post and move forward with something constructive.

I don't know what facilities are in Wellington - if there are 'disabled riding stables' or other charity type places that could do with some physical help, animal welfare or national trust type places. I know my oldest helped at one of these a while ago, he just filled hay nets and mucked out etc, but it was a fab time for him doing something physical and worthwhile. He was quite the little man when I dropped him off with his packed lunch at 8.00am and swaggered back to the car at 1.pm

What about the Te Papa place, does that have a work experience type scheme? There must be places crying out for hard working, responsible teenagers to lend a hand and gain some experience. So long as he's safe and happy, and mum is happy with the place there's nothing to lose.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
The original - quite excellent question - has the potential to become a brainstorming session that could benefit a lot of parents in a similar position.

The tone of the very first post suggests that this mother is a good one, whether she leaves him or not. The testament to that is the description of him and the fact that someone un-related was willing to come on here and vouch for him publicly.

Since olive branches have been given, and good will is over flowing - perhaps we could come up with some answers to the original post and move forward with something constructive.

I don't know what facilities are in Wellington - if there are 'disabled riding stables' or other charity type places that could do with some physical help, animal welfare or national trust type places. I know my oldest helped at one of these a while ago, he just filled hay nets and mucked out etc, but it was a fab time for him doing something physical and worthwhile. He was quite the little man when I dropped him off with his packed lunch at 8.00am and swaggered back to the car at 1.pm

What about the Te Papa place, does that have a work experience type scheme? There must be places crying out for hard working, responsible teenagers to lend a hand and gain some experience. So long as he's safe and happy, and mum is happy with the place there's nothing to lose.
hear hear.

I cant really help though as I am in the UK. But I wish them luck and finding a little work for the wee young lad will benefit him in huge ways.

Apologies for going of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.