British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

Kotare Feb 17th 2017 1:18 am

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12182020)
My friend has chickens (as well as sheep, ducks and a couple of wee cows), they eat everything that they are given. Yours must be very fussy Kotare.

My brother has an allotment, they also have quite a large back garden in the north-east of England. I think it's more to do with getting away from home and meeting with like-minded individuals in his case.

Having looked at the plot the chicken are on, I would eat anything green too - mine are primarily on grass.

I thought allotments were for northerners to get away from the dark satanic mills and/or the wife :-)

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 17th 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12182024)
Having looked at the plot the chicken are on, I would eat anything green too - mine are primarily on grass.

I thought allotments were for northerners to get away from the dark satanic mills and/or the wife :-)

My friends are on grass too. They have a lovely lifestyle block in Wellsford.

Ay 'appen they are an' all. Brother is from the north-west, his wife is from a posh part of Bristol. :lol:

BEVS Feb 17th 2017 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12182020)
My brother has an allotment, they also have quite a large back garden in the north-east of England. I think it's more to do with getting away from home and meeting with like-minded individuals in his case.

Allotments are certainly about being a meet up & community place for like minded people. MrBEVS family members have assorted allotments as well as their garden veg patches etc.

There are community gardens and rented allotments here too. I think they are a lovely idea.

My hens wouldn't touch silverbeet at all. Mind you neither would I . Ugh!
Friend up the road gave hers chopped pumpkin which they noshed into when they felt like it.

Know several folk back in the UK keeping a couple of hens in their back gardens as it is allowed per bylaws. I rather like the couple of pals whose hens house in an eglu. I rather like the look and materials used but think wouldn't be OK for the sun conditions here.

Not sure if they are fed skinned cucumbers though :lol:

Bo-Jangles Feb 17th 2017 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12181804)
Yeah, how the other half live - they have to rent an allotment instead of having it in their own back garden ;)

Yeah right, cos everyone's livin' the dream and got a quarter acre to spare. :rofl:

Kotare Feb 17th 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12182134)
Yeah right, cos everyone's livin' the dream and got a quarter acre to spare. :rofl:

Only 1/4 acre makes it suburbia by NZ standards ;)

barnsleymat Feb 17th 2017 1:38 pm

Some rather juicy cucumber news has just landed on my desk at Cucumber HQ.

People keep finding cucumbers at '50 Shades Darker' screenings

I bet no one is leaving cucumbers behind in NZ.

LoCarb Feb 20th 2017 3:01 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12182037)

My hens wouldn't touch silverbeet at all. Mind you neither would I .

My chooks absolutely love silverbeet.
If I hold it up away from them, they jump up and down until it's all gone :thumbup:

Kotare Feb 20th 2017 4:03 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12184346)
My chooks absolutely love silverbeet.
If I hold it up away from them, they jump up and down until it's all gone :thumbup:

Yep - proper NZ chooks ;)

Lisa Maree Feb 21st 2017 6:53 am

I literally laughed out loud today, our local organic health food shop had beautiful cucumbery specimens... I mean they were truly a work of art, fat, perfectly round, a foot long......... but $7.80 each!!!!!!

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 21st 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12185432)
I literally laughed out loud today, our local organic health food shop had beautiful cucumbery specimens... I mean they were truly a work of art, fat, perfectly round, a foot long......... but $7.80 each!!!!!!

That's truly eye-watering for a few reasons :sneaky::rofl:

barnsleymat Feb 21st 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12185432)

You might have discovered the world's most expensive cucumber, I'll try and get hold of Norris McWherter to confirm.

Next time we'd love to see a photo of one of these record breaking beauties

jmh Feb 21st 2017 7:06 pm

Prices may be higher at the moment due to bad weather in NZ and Australia.

BEVS Feb 21st 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 12185976)
Prices may be higher at the moment due to bad weather in NZ and Australia.

:nod:

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12185933)
You might have discovered the world's most expensive cucumber, I'll try and get hold of Norris McWherter to confirm.

MrBEVS and I have met him. My late FIL was posthumously awarded the McWhirter Citizens Award for courage & bravery. It was a rather amazing evening and dinner at the wonderful historical Middle Temple Hall, London. Such a privilege to have been there.

I cannot remember if cucumbers were served at all.

Bo-Jangles Feb 25th 2017 9:14 pm

Latest from the Cucumber news desk; despite the high prices, cucumbers still feature in the top ten selling items at Countdown. :blink:

Cucumbers top the list of trolley items - NZ Herald News

Pom_Chch Feb 26th 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12190373)
Latest from the Cucumber news desk; despite the high prices, cucumbers still feature in the top ten selling items at Countdown. :blink:

Cucumbers top the list of trolley items - NZ Herald News

Good god who would have thought that the people of NZ don't get quite as het up about the price of cucumbers?!