British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 4:26 am

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12170549)
I'd sooner have some Welsh lamb, Cumberland sausage or a Dickens & Morris pork pie thanks.

By the way the UK isnt "toatally" dependant on imports ... only about half is imported.

Which half starves. Bet the pork for the sausage and pie is imported :)

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12170558)
Which half starves. Bet the pork for the sausage and pie is imported :)

Which half starves? ... those that live on imported lettuce of course!

As for where the pork comes from for the pork pies and sausages ... who cares cos they taste far better than those shite NZ suasages.

Grayling Feb 4th 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12170564)
Which half starves? ... those that live on imported lettuce of course!

As for where the pork comes from for the pork pies and sausages ... who cares cos they taste far better than those shite NZ suasages.

Well over half the pork eaten in NZ is also imported so what is the difference?:confused:

New Zealand farmed pork loses ground to imports | Stuff.co.nz

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 12170573)
Well over half the pork eaten in NZ is also imported so what is the difference?:confused:

New Zealand farmed pork loses ground to imports | Stuff.co.nz

To quote Robbie 50% of UK food is imported whereas NZ has a surplus, if I have to switch from pork joints to leg of lamb well so be it :-)

Telegraph reporting a UK black market in veg, courgettes £6kg, broccoli £5kg. Time to migrate Barnsleymat :-)

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12170591)
To quote Robbie 50% of UK food is imported whereas NZ has a surplus, if I have to switch from pork joints to leg of lamb well so be it :-)

Telegraph reporting a UK black market in veg, courgettes £6kg, broccoli £5kg. Time to migrate Barnsleymat :-)

Wow! Black market courgettes at £6/kg.

Countdown price $8.99/kg or £5.30 at todays exchange rate .. aren't they supposed to be in season and at their cheapest in NZ?

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12170595)
Wow! Black market courgettes at £6/kg.

Countdown price $8.99/kg or £5.30 at todays exchange rate .. aren't they supposed to be in season and at their cheapest in NZ?

No idea - I consider courgettes stock food, along with pumpkins/swedes/turnip/kale..... My five a day consists of lettuce, tomatoes and runner beans from the garden and nectarines, plums and soft fruit from our trees/bushes, but suffering from that apple shortage :-)

barnsleymat Feb 4th 2017 7:29 am

So extortionate black market shortage winter prices in the UK are about the same price as NZ in season cheap summer prices.

That's the New Zealand I remember � ����

I'm going to the market today before I have a pre match gallon of beer this afternoon. I will investigate this matter further.

Here's a question for everyone:

How posh have you got to be for it to be acceptable to peel a Cucumber?

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 7:41 am

BBC - Lettuce Rationing

'A spokesman for the Prime Minister, Theresa May, said the government knew there was a "situation", and that the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) was "monitoring" it.'

Brings tears of mirth to my eyes :)

Bo-Jangles Feb 6th 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12170617)

How posh have you got to be for it to be acceptable to peel a Cucumber?

Oooh dead posh, like what I is: I quite like peeled cucumber in a Greek salad as sometimes the skins can be a bit tough and overpowering. :ohmy:

barnsleymat Feb 16th 2017 2:46 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I went to visit my brothers allotment yesterday.

He was feeding his chickens salad, in the middle of winter during a salad crisis. Bloody salad.

How the other half live!!!!

Pom_Chch Feb 16th 2017 6:30 pm

Yeah, how the other half live - they have to rent an allotment instead of having it in their own back garden ;)

barnsleymat Feb 16th 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12181804)
Yeah, how the other half live - they have to rent an allotment instead of having it in their own back garden ;)

To rub salt into the wounds the chickens have their own NZ$15,000 caravan to use, it cost £50.

Caravan and Salad.

UK chickens today don't know they're born.

Kotare Feb 16th 2017 8:02 pm

Peculiar chicken too - mine won't look at 'salad' - brassicas are heaven though.

BEVS Feb 17th 2017 12:07 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12181561)
I went to visit my brothers allotment yesterday.

He was feeding his chickens salad, in the middle of winter during a salad crisis. Bloody salad.

How the other half live!!!!

Nice looking hens. I miss having a couple of hens around.

In today's Cucumber news: A notice in Countdown yesterday :
Lettuces are currently in short supply ' due to weather conditions ' .

I kid you not.

My first lot of salad got trashed in the storms. Made the sweetcorn look like a corn circle .

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 17th 2017 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12181858)
Peculiar chicken too - mine won't look at 'salad' - brassicas are heaven though.

My friend has chickens (as well as sheep, ducks and a couple of wee cows), they eat everything that they are given. Yours must be very fussy Kotare.

My brother has an allotment, they also have quite a large back garden in the north-east of England. I think it's more to do with getting away from home and meeting with like-minded individuals in his case.