British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

MrsFychan Mar 30th 2017 6:40 pm

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12217485)
Now back in the UK cucumber prices have become an obsession along with watching Airbus A380's fly over Yorkshire and inspecting tiles in pub toilets. It's always good to have hobbies you enjoy.

Today I have indulged in all three of my new found hobbies, we had a drive through to Leeds and after spotting a few A380's fly over before calling in for a few pints and having a good scout round the lavvys we had a walk through the beautiful Victorian Market. After dropping my phone in for a quick repair a voice came bouncing off the cast iron girders, it was like God was speaking directly to me. The voice said 'Cucumbers, 3 for 50p ,get your cucumbers' said the voice again. I had the find the voice, we searched the lanes of stalls, we marched past tools stalls, fish stalls, gadget sellers, working class cafes, bread shops, stalls selling cakes, bike parts, records and one even selling something called 'falafel' which I assume is some sort of Indian head scarf.

Then I heard the voice again, '2 boxes of strawberries for a pound'. It was the same voice but this time closer, we were close to discovering our treasure. As we rounded the next corner there it was, a 45 degree wall of majestically displayed fresh fruit and vegetables and sat right in the middle, cucumbers, 3 for ten bob (50p) as we say in Yorkshire.

What a day to be walking the earth.

How wonderful, from your description I was walking it myself.
:goodpost:

Bo-Jangles Mar 30th 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12217534)
How wonderful, from your description I was walking it myself.
:goodpost:

Me too, I was thinking of our old local market and all the hollers that go up and down the stalls. 'Only a 'parnd', who'll give me a 'parnd' for this ...'' :thumbsup:

Clappy Apr 8th 2017 8:50 pm

I noticed yesterday that the price of telegraph cucumbers in my usual supermarket had crept back up to $4.

I suspect that is connected with the weather turning decidedly autumnal now and if it is then the prices will surely begin to climb and the people that have invested in cucumber production are on the cusp of cashing-in big-time.

Keep your powder dry for now folks - $4 is good but hang on just a bit longer and $6 per cucumber is realistically achievable. This time next year we will be living in paradise!

barnsleymat Jun 10th 2017 6:20 am

Having spotted a Kumara Stuff story on my Facebook feed and reading the comments it seems the Kumara (Sweet Potato) might be the new cucumber.

9 dollars per KG in season which is 6 times the price we pay for sweet potatoes here.

Has the cucumber been knocked off top spot in the expensive veg league?

Bo-Jangles Jun 11th 2017 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12269874)
Has the cucumber been knocked off top spot in the expensive veg league?

At the moment I think the tomatoes are leading the way; as much as $24.99 per kg

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...oes-red-melody

Pom_Chch Jun 11th 2017 11:51 pm

Good god how do we manage? Oh yes that's right, we eat salads with different veggies :blink: Heaps to choose from!

Warm roasted vegetable salad

Feta Pasta Salad with Spinach recipe – All recipes Australia NZ

Ripe’s raw energy salad – Recipes – Bite

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...beetroot-salad

Kotare Jun 12th 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12270817)
At the moment I think the tomatoes are leading the way; as much as $24.99 per kg

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...oes-red-melody

Yeah - expensive imported tomatoes especially for brit expats. The mob eat nz tomatoes at $9.99 kg Countdown.

A Rush And A Push Jun 12th 2017 4:57 am

I think the kumara crop was quite bad this year due to weather conditions.

As always...we buy what's in season and cheaper. Big pot of pumpkin ($1.50) and carrot ($1.50 a bag) soup made the other day...yummy stuff.

Our kumara may be pricey but we do at least have a functioning government :lol:

barnsleymat Jun 12th 2017 6:48 am

I see peppers are making a push for a Champions League place at 5 times the price, peppers are the vegetable equivalent of Arsenal.

Anyway back to the king of rip off vege, I spotted this funny cucumber story the other day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37014050

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 12th 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12270976)
I see peppers are making a push for a Champions League place at 5 times the price, peppers are the vegetable equivalent of Arsenal.

Anyway back to the king of rip off vege, I spotted this funny cucumber story the other day.

Tesco customer finds a worm in his cucumber and his complaint goes viral - BBC News

A sad tale (tail) with a happy ending :lol:

Just picked the last of my homegrown peppers today :cry_smile:, they are one of my favourite vegetables and we have a couple in stir-fries at least twice per week. Back to paying silly prices for a few months :thumbdown:.

Bo-Jangles Jun 13th 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12270976)

Tesco customer finds a worm in his cucumber and his complaint goes viral - BBC News

Loved that; at least people in the UK mostly do have a sense of humour and respond accordingly. :lol:

LoCarb Jun 19th 2017 2:49 am

Documentary that shows why Europe has lower fruit & veg prices.

Bo-Jangles Jun 19th 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12275839)
Documentary that shows why Europe has lower fruit & veg prices.

Of course we have none of that dodgy stuff going on here, eh? :lol:

Facebook used to recruit illegal migrant workers | Radio New Zealand News

LoCarb Jun 19th 2017 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12275999)
Of course we have none of that dodgy stuff going on here, eh? :lol:

All run by the mafia I suppose :yawn:

Charismatic Jun 26th 2017 11:07 am

Is there still a place for the noble farmer, living the good life and making a living from the land?

"Let the wealthy and great roll in splendour and and state,
I envy them not I declare it,
I eat my own lamb, my own chicken and ham,
I shear my own fleece and I wear it,
I have gardens, I have bow'rs, I have fruit and I have flowers,
The lark is my morning alarmer,
So come on boys now,
Let God speed the plough!
A long life and success for the farmer."

:nod: