British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

Pom_Chch Jan 18th 2017 2:57 am

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12154186)
Could we be about to start paying £3.50 for cucumbers in the UK?

European vegetables: 'Perfect storm' raises prices - BBC News

I made myself a Kiwi millionaire meal yesterday, I think this is what you get when you fly Air New Zealand Business Class. I hope the picture uploads.

Looks a bit small...

:scarper:

wez130 Jan 19th 2017 6:45 am

$2.49 i paid for one in Countdown the other day, new potatoes are expensive here too!

On the flip though, Sirloin steak at $13.99 a kilo is mega cheap compared to UK!

To be fair, i've found what i expected to find here, i always go for what's on offer at home, and i've done the same here and got some good deals, some things are dearer here (cucumbers lol), but others are cheaper (sirloin, toliet rolls). Swings and roundabouts.

Bo-Jangles Jan 19th 2017 8:03 am

The Cucumber remains sought after due to strong seasonal demand for salad and lack of desire to cook meat and two veg over the holiday period. It seems that despite there being no obvious shortage of cucumbers the product continues to be traded at a premium. The price at Pak n Save remains stable at 2 for $3 or $1.99 each.

The Avocado however does seem to have taken a tumble and recorded a relatively large fall in price, currently as low as 5 for $5

BEVS Jan 20th 2017 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12155709)
The Cucumber remains sought after due to strong seasonal demand for salad and lack of desire to cook meat and two veg over the holiday period. It seems that despite there being no obvious shortage of cucumbers the product continues to be traded at a premium. The price at Pak n Save remains stable at 2 for $3 or $1.99 each.

Which is sad news as my "worth its weight in gold" cucumber vine has karked it over the past few days due to the weather :cry_smile:

Kotare Jan 23rd 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12156445)
Which is sad news as my "worth its weight in gold" cucumber vine has karked it over the past few days due to the weather :cry_smile:

If you use the expression 'kark it' perhaps you have become a kiwi.

BEVS Jan 24th 2017 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12159682)
If you use the expression 'kark it' perhaps you have become a kiwi.

Over my dead body mate.

I know how to drive properly . Coffee stinks. My British sense of humour remains intact. I will not countenance frills & crooked hems & I do not believe the All Blacks are living gods.

Karked it / Carked it.
British saying from the Raj period.

Kotare Jan 24th 2017 5:16 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12159791)
Over my dead body mate.

I know how to drive properly ..... My British sense of humour remains intact. .....

Second opinion please.

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 6:46 am

Vegetable rationing in UK Supermarkets - shock, horror. Courgettes, lettuce and broccoli in very short supply. Rioting by by UK vegetarians (OK I made the last bit up). :-)

Is this being censored by Barnsleymat?

Grayling Feb 3rd 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169699)
Vegetable rationing in UK Supermarkets - shock, horror. Courgettes, lettuce and broccoli in very short supply. Rioting by by UK vegetarians (OK I made the last bit up). :-)

Is this being censored by Barnsleymat?

Why do you have to exaggerate?

There are a few vegetables in short supply due to bad weather in Murcia......most are for sale as usual.

Does that never happen in NZ?....are no foodstuffs imported?

Don't you think your constant attempts at point scoring are a little childish and pathetic?

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 12169728)
Why do you have to exaggerate?

There are a few vegetables in short supply due to bad weather in Murcia......most are for sale as usual.

Does that never happen in NZ?....are no foodstuffs imported?

Don't you think your constant attempts at point scoring are a little childish and pathetic?

I merely repeat the UK headlines, blame the UK tabloids :-) Isn't it even funnier that a humorous thread suddenly becomes childish and pathetic when it doesn't reflect your narrow opinions.

Actually apples are nowhere to be found in NZ at the moment, not because of limited imports apparently but because the crop was exported overseas.

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 2:53 pm

Mustn't just blame the tabloids (or me) even the BBC is reporting 'Vegetable rationing by Supermarkets'. Price of an iceberg lettuce in Lidl £1.19 (up 200%).

Must be hell living in a country that is totally dependant on food imports (that is point scoring if you hadn't noticed Grayling) :-).

barnsleymat Feb 3rd 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169995)
Mustn't just blame the tabloids (or me) even the BBC is reporting 'Vegetable rationing by Supermarkets'. Price of an iceberg lettuce in Lidl £1.19 (up 200%).

Must be hell living in a country that is totally dependant on food imports (that is point scoring if you hadn't noticed Grayling) :-).

Still cheaper than Countdown!!!!!!

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169995)

Would that be any worse than living in a country that imports everything else?

P.S.
Iceberg lettuce is 60p at asda .... $2.49 at countdown.

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12170539)
Would that be any worse than living in a country that imports everything else?

P.S.
Iceberg lettuce is 60p at asda .... $2.49 at countdown.

Try eating your Honda :-)

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12170545)
Try eating your Honda :-)

I'd sooner have some Welsh lamb, Cumberland sausage or a Dickens & Morris pork pie thanks.

By the way the UK isnt "toatally" dependant on imports ... only about half is imported.