British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

Bo-Jangles Aug 2nd 2017 9:54 am

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12307393)
Back on topic

I've just made a cucumber sandwich (pic attached). I always leave the wrapper on, apparently shandy loving southerners not only take the wrapper off but they also peel the cucumber and slice it up. Hardly surprising from a place where it's completely normal to have a splash of lemonade in the top of a pint!

Show us your cucumber sandwiches pictures.

No way, us 'shandy loving southerners' preferred a shot of Pimms with our lemonade along with several slices of cucumber; being total rock stars who live life to excess we would extravagantly throw away the 'used' cucumber afterwards. :rofl:

Juxtapose this to NZ where cucumbers are like gold, it wouldn't surprise me to find used slices of cucumber up for sale on Trademe. :rofl:

Clappy Sep 29th 2017 6:04 am

Fill your boots! Cucumbers are now $2!

This message appeared in my email today.

Salad and summer go hand in hand. Right now the taste of summer costs a whole lot less because it's $2 Week at Countdown! Don't miss huge savings all week, including deals on salad must-haves like NZ Wrapped Iceberg Lettuce and NZ Telegraph Cucumbers, now $2 each.

For a salad-friendly light dinner or lunch idea, this Chia, Beetroot & Broccoli Tart will keep friends and family happy, followed by our sweet Tarte Tatin, both made with Edmonds Block Pastry now only $2 each.

For stacks more $2 specials, check out our latest mailer!

See you soon,

Charismatic Sep 29th 2017 8:14 am

Don't fill your boots with cucumbers, put them in the fridge.

Bo-Jangles Sep 29th 2017 8:56 am

Just for a change they're $2 each in Pak n Save - provided of course that you require two of them at the same time. :rofl: Otherwise $2.99 for one.

Robbie2010 Sep 29th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12349660)
Just for a change they're $2 each in Pak n Save - provided of course that you require two of them at the same time. :rofl: Otherwise $2.99 for one.

45p at Tesco. ;)

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 29th 2017 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12350073)
45p at Tesco. ;)

Yeah but they aren't made for New Zealand conditions mate :p

uk_grenada Sep 29th 2017 8:43 pm

Do you know about cats and cucumbers - look at youtube...

uk_grenada Sep 29th 2017 8:45 pm

Bo-Jangles Sep 29th 2017 9:27 pm

LOL that's the exact same reaction we have when we approach the cucumber counter at the supermarket - freak out and :scarper:

barnsleymat Oct 17th 2017 7:23 pm

I've just been looking at my Facebook after a lovely long windy day exploring Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on a bit of business. I have a friend on Facebook who's constantly posting pictures of craft beer he's either just drunk, is just drinking or is just about to drink. I think there's something in the terms and conditions of Facebook that makes it compulsory to have one of these friends much like how it's compulsory as a Brit living abroad to own a cushion, mug or rug with a union Jack on it. The boring sod should go get a new and much less boring past time...... like talking about cucumbers.

Anyway, he's just posted his latest beer treat. It's only a cucumber beer and it's cheaper than an out of season (11 months of the year) Dunedin cucumber.

https://honestbrew.co.uk/shop/thornbridge-wye-cucumber-pale-ale/

BEVS Oct 17th 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12363274)
I've just been looking at my Facebook after a lovely long windy day exploring Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on a bit of business. I have a friend on Facebook who's constantly posting pictures of craft beer he's either just drunk, is just drinking or is just about to drink. I think there's something in the terms and conditions of Facebook that makes it compulsory to have one of these friends much like how it's compulsory as a Brit living abroad to own a cushion, mug or rug with a union Jack on it. The boring sod should go get a new and much less boring past time...... like talking about cucumbers.

Anyway, he's just posted his latest beer treat. It's only a cucumber beer and it's cheaper than an out of season (11 months of the year) Dunedin cucumber.

https://honestbrew.co.uk/shop/thornb...mber-pale-ale/

You crack me up you do. :lol:

caretaker Oct 17th 2017 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12350165)

I hid a cucumber behind Nancy Boy while he was eating and when he turned and saw it, he didn't care, gave it a glance like "Where did that crap come from?", and walked away. I was proud of him, for all his other short-comings at least he isn't scared of cucumbers.

Charismatic Feb 12th 2018 7:40 am

http://i67.tinypic.com/2hzixqx.jpg

BEVS Feb 12th 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12363354)
I hid a cucumber behind Nancy Boy while he was eating and when he turned and saw it, he didn't care, gave it a glance like "Where did that crap come from?", and walked away. I was proud of him, for all his other short-comings at least he isn't scared of cucumbers.

Brave.

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12440024)

This may explain why our home grown cucumbers flag easily.

Bo-Jangles Feb 12th 2018 9:44 am

Roses are red, cucumbers are green ...

.. if I get a bunch of cucumbers for Valentines there's going to be a scene. :p