Coronavirus

Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

[QUOTE=cyndi2;13067320]
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Looks like Canterbury must have had a good turnout for vaccinations this past few days (amazing what a few cases out in the wild does) but is still the highest number in absolute terms with 81,252 still to go to reach 90%

Canterbury had to have the slowest rollout in the country so it seemed. At least our town was terrible. We live in Ashburton and it's not the smallest place or even remote. We got the phone message on the 2nd of July with reference numbers that we could book, and we were supposed to be in vulnerable group. OH got put on hold so I went onto the website we were given, the first available appts were the 6th Sept and 2nd jabs for the 27th. The book my vacc thing that was being talked about wasn't working for here because you had to have those ref numbers. At that time there was only one pharmacy and one medical practice doing the vaccs. It wasn't a case of the people around here hesitating you just couldn't get a bloomin' appt. The best thing that happened was the super Saturday event where every medical practice and pharmacy were included at last and really it's never slowed down since. We're also surrounded by Dairy farms, daughter and son in law are share milkers and they've just finished calving season, busiest time of the year requiring all hands on deck. Trying to get everyone on the farm into town to be jabbed has been a job because again very few walk in places till just lately, their farm just yesterday are now fully vaccinated. I'm sure the 2 cases that happened here did spur the stragglers on but honestly don't think the majority of people were hesitating. Anyway you guys up there stay safe and most of us are thinking about you and thanking you, and when things get back to anywhere near normal you're always welcome to come and visit. Not that Ashburton is the greatest place to visit hahaha.
Placemakers over the weekend did a sausage sizzle for everyone who got a vaccine and that's bound to get many down there. Kiwis love a sausage sizzle

Canterburys roll out was a real bang your head against a brick wall. When my wife had her vaccinations back in June and July, we had no choice but to travel down to a place near the airport that I used to work at. The vaccination clinics that opened up weren't available when she had hers, and only started opening up I believe when the 40+ were able to book (I could be wrong on that). No wonder we had such a low uptake of the vaccine during this time.
There is more to Canterbury than Christchurch. There are people out in Springfield, Ashburton, Amberley etc where its a long drive at their age just to go and have a vaccine. Some probably don't even drive anymore or have cars so getting down to Orchard Road was nigh on impossible for them.

But that's in the past now, more centres have been opened up and from what is being reported down here, the vaccination vans will be driving to these remote areas to vaccinate people that can't get to a clinic. If only this was done earlier.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
[
There is more to Canterbury than Christchurch. There are people out in Springfield, Ashburton, Amberley etc where its a long drive at their age just to go and have a vaccine. Some probably don't even drive anymore or have cars so getting down to Orchard Road was nigh on impossible for them.

But that's in the past now, more centres have been opened up and from what is being reported down here, the vaccination vans will be driving to these remote areas to vaccinate people that can't get to a clinic. If only this was done earlier.
It's the same challenge in all DHBs most have massive rural areas, even in 'Auckland' - there's way more to Auckland than the CBD and stuff all public transport. The other two DHBs; Waitemate serve some quite rural communites as far north as Wellsford / Mangawhai and Kaipara and Counties down South to Miranda (on the way to Coromandel) and Port Waikato, almost as far as Huntly.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland now at π
level 3.14159263. . . . In principal
In principle
phrase of principle
used to indicate that although something is theoretically possible, in reality it may not actually happen.

Has anyone honestly got any idea about what is actually going on. 🤔

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 2nd 2021 at 4:59 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Auckland now at π
level 3.14159263. . . . In principal
In principle
phrase of principle
used to indicate that although something is theoretically possible, in reality it may not actually happen.

Has anyone honestly got any idea about what is actually going on. 🤔
Hopefully something like Pi 3.14159 - a whole lot of anxiety and waste of brain power over numbers and graphs that we learned at school but never been needed since.

Old Nov 3rd 2021, 5:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hopefully something like Pi 3.14159 - a whole lot of anxiety and waste of brain power over numbers and graphs that we learned at school but never been needed since.
Plumbers get squizzed and are tested on using this stuff. It's the roundy/ cylindery /tank stuff and all that.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 3:23 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Overall the number of first doses is still falling, it's been around 8k per day on average. Also there is a strange category in government data of "overseas/unknown" which is only recorded as 10% vaccinated but is 17k people, however as it does seem that many people not residing in NZ are getting reminders I suggest that people currently overseas should also be removed from the dataset as it is now a requirement to re-enter New Zealand anyway.

I've not been tracking individual DHB progress but there are a few now falling further and further behind the peleton. As it's economically, societally and politically important to expedite this it might be time to reallocate talent from high performing DHBs (over the 90% first doses mark) to take over management of low performing DHBs.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I've not been tracking individual DHB progress but there are a few now falling further and further behind the peleton. As it's economically, societally and politically important to expedite this it might be time to reallocate talent from high performing DHBs (over the 90% first doses mark) to take over management of low performing DHBs.
I agree, there are still some dragging their feet and there needs to be some kind of intervention to help those DHBs that are not getting there by themselves.

This weekend is three weeks since 'Super Saturday' so hopefully we'll see a big jump if all those get their second doses in the coming week.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 10:05 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

This weekend is three weeks since 'Super Saturday' so hopefully we'll see a big jump if all those get their second doses in the coming week.
If you count back you can see that most people who get the first shot get the second so I'm not nearly as worried by the second as the first.

I was listening to the Singaporean Prime Minister (similar population size to NZ) and he indicated he expected Covid-19 to become endemic with circa 2k deaths per year. Predominantly among the elderly and immunocompromised of course. However that's against a background rate of 28k deaths per year in that country. At the end of the day we'll all die of something eventually.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Glad to read it. If you had to go down with covid & so a move from isolation to quarantine , better surroundings & nursing care was very much needed. Recover soon . Your fellow is waiting for you.
Many thanks BEVS. No release today as I was expecting sadly but I hope to be home on Saturday by the latest . I should find out this afternoon. I'm missing human contact and hugs so much now. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I last had a hug. Just sitting down face to face with another human over a drink would be great. The care from staff and nursing staff at the Commodore Hotel has been fabulous. I've been very well looked after, however it is beginning to feel like the Hotel California!!!

Other than the first couple of days when I felt sore and tired, this has been a very mild covid infection. Tongue felt like a piece of cardboard for 36 hours, I lost my sense of smell on day 5 but it had returned fully by day 10. The worst thing has been the cough which is very intermittent. I still feel a bit fatigued and have a post-viral cough which can last for 12 weeks.
I'm still able to drink wine, so that's a result in my book.

Like Mr BEVS, I too have had a very bad dose of pneumonia and recurrent chest infections that has left my lungs scarred. So I was half expecting this to go straight to my lungs as happens with most colds and flu that I get. Other than the tightness from coughing, they've been fine. My O2 saturations have never been below 96% and have hovered around 99% most of the time. So I hope that allays your fears somewhat. Even when I felt most rough I was able to dance and sing .

Being double vaccinated is the key to this I'm sure. So let's hope we can open up fully very soon.

Old Nov 4th 2021, 6:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Many thanks BEVS. No release today as I was expecting sadly but I hope to be home on Saturday by the latest . I should find out this afternoon. I'm missing human contact and hugs so much now. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I last had a hug..
Well that's a bit of a poo. Yes for the w/end then. I know that you and Mr Bigsticks are as one with each other . With me , when ole MrBEVS went to the UK for 2/4 weeks to give respite care for my smother-in-law I'd wave him off and be glad for the orderly peace , calm and a chat with the cat.

Glad the covid thing hasn't been too awful either. Such a wild card & lottery with this. One cannot know. I was recently quite shocked to realise that a couple of 40 something folks we know were not vaxxed . Bluddy fools. Not just for themselves but for what they could shed on unsuspecting others . Not cool. Not cool at all.

Yes. Hurry up the new year 2022. Hopefully all will be far better by then. I shall wish for all people on this planet to be allowed & given the same protections and care as we have for ourselves.

edit...

Were you able to do zooms and fancy stuff like that? A pal went back to Germany for circumstances very similar to yours. Her Mum very ill /Hospital and so care needed to go home. She was in MIQ but I think a week before you. I haven't spoken with them so don't know how she got on or where she was.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 4th 2021 at 6:08 am.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Many thanks BEVS. No release today as I was expecting sadly but I hope to be home on Saturday by the latest . I should find out this afternoon. I'm missing human contact and hugs so much now. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I last had a hug. Just sitting down face to face with another human over a drink would be great. The care from staff and nursing staff at the Commodore Hotel has been fabulous. I've been very well looked after, however it is beginning to feel like the Hotel California!!!

Other than the first couple of days when I felt sore and tired, this has been a very mild covid infection. Tongue felt like a piece of cardboard for 36 hours, I lost my sense of smell on day 5 but it had returned fully by day 10. The worst thing has been the cough which is very intermittent. I still feel a bit fatigued and have a post-viral cough which can last for 12 weeks.
I'm still able to drink wine, so that's a result in my book.

Like Mr BEVS, I too have had a very bad dose of pneumonia and recurrent chest infections that has left my lungs scarred. So I was half expecting this to go straight to my lungs as happens with most colds and flu that I get. Other than the tightness from coughing, they've been fine. My O2 saturations have never been below 96% and have hovered around 99% most of the time. So I hope that allays your fears somewhat. Even when I felt most rough I was able to dance and sing .

Being double vaccinated is the key to this I'm sure. So let's hope we can open up fully very soon.
Hope they release you soon, thats no fun.
Sending you loads of cuber-hugs I've forgotten what real ones feel like as my last one was in July 2018
Old Nov 4th 2021, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Please ignore if you’re likely to be bored, and yawn, yawn.

Well, I must admit to extreme surprise from Monday’s podium, that the PM offers Auckland an ‘in principle’ move to Level 3 Stage 2 Wednesday next week.

Unclear why Hamilton/West Waikato needed only 1 1/2 days to prepare for that, moving yesterday and Auckland a further week, as we will begin a 13th week in the current lockdown.
Those businesses don’t need that long for sure (they’ve had plenty of time to prepare!) and it’s not about the lattes.

Still, even that will have gone down like a lead balloon to those lockdown lovies hanging out for more lockdown or status quo. Expert Shaun Hendy for instance even on Monday still keen on a Level 4 circuit breaker!
That would achieve nothing of the sort, instead of 5,000 at anti vax / lockdown/ mandatory vaccine demonstration at the weekend just gone, we’d be getting 50,000+!

Yesterday Minister Hipkins suggesting that the Aucklanders when 90% double jabbed across the 3DHBs will need to be booking slots to exit Auckland border over Xmas/New Year, madness, ridiculous it even being considered, and rightly shutdown by Minister Robertson this morning.
Though PM still suggesting the border likely to be in place then, and that ‘unvaccinated people won’t be able to leave Auckland over summer’ I’d suggest that’s a tad overreaching!!

Definitely the Wellington crowd not reading the room.

Auckland already >80% double jabbed now, and will have world leading (!) rates shortly, but will still on the PMs next main decision day, 29th November, be shy of 90% double jabbed in the Manukau DHB.
And several DHBs unlikely to get there in January, so some tough calls, but the unvaccinated will have had their chances.
It shouldn’t need an odd case cropping up, to have people rushing out and rolling their sleeves up with ‘I didn’t think it was coming here’

Last edited by chocolate cake; Nov 4th 2021 at 10:40 am.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 1:58 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Expert Shaun Hendy for instance even on Monday still keen on a Level 4 circuit breaker!
I think what experts miss is that the government is trying to balance competing priorities presently. The spread of Covid-19 is only one factor.

Crudely put if you value people's time, which you should because it's a very finite resource, one day lost to lockdown in Auckland is the equivalent of about 59 deaths. The idea that we might do a "circuit breaker" two week lockdown to reduce deaths by 120 would represent a net loss to society. Not to mention that a 14 day Auckland lockdown is estimated to costs $1.4bn.

This train will only be moving in one direction, Covid-19 is here and sooner or later it will spread across New Zealand. We've known that since last February when Nature published data showing that vaccination alone would not stop Covid-19 transmission.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, there are still some dragging their feet and there needs to be some kind of intervention to help those DHBs that are not getting there by themselves.

Let’s hope we see big jump, but most of those people that got their jabs on Super Saturday where picking up a 2nd jab, so won’t be coming back just yet!
Old Nov 5th 2021, 4:41 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I think what experts miss is that the government is trying to balance competing priorities presently. .
Yes. Not sure that the epidemiologists and the specific modellers miss that as such . Perhaps more their priorities focus towards overall national public health in terms of this pandemic . No pockets in shrouds . Over burdened health services and all that.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 5th 2021 at 4:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.