Coronavirus

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:27 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Still getting 25-30k cases a day with 80% vaccinated.
That's 80% single doses though, only 60% of the UK population are fully vaccinated with both jabs. Not enough lift all restrictions and go back to normal. But as I said good luck with that strategy, I've got a feeling you're going to need it

BEVS - I totally agree
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
That's 80% single doses though, only 60% of the UK population are fully vaccinated with both jabs. Not enough lift all restrictions and go back to normal. But as I said good luck with that strategy, I've got a feeling you're going to need it

BEVS - I totally agree
60% of the whole pop.
80% the adult pop
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I am getting the impression that there's a false sense of security in the UK. Not enough people are double vaccinated yet to stave off the delta variant (plus other variants). With other variants taking hold in other countries, it's only a matter of time before they end up on UK's doorstep. It's only a matter of time before that catches up with the population and you end up in the same position as last year. Good ol' Bo Jo can lift restrictions and return to normal all he likes but the freedom you have currently might not be the freedom you have moving forwards.

You are right though, NZ can't lockdown forever. And it won't. We will have to lockdown until enough of the population is vaccinated. Which isn't yet but give it 3 months and we will be well on our way to opening up the borders safety.
UK VACCINATION FIGURES
Over 89 million doses givenOver 41.6 million with a second doseOver 62% of the population fully vaccinatedAround a million doses given every 2 weeksThat pretty good going
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

UK is slowly getting back to something like normal, but it isn't like it was.
A lot of places in the UK still require masks.
A lot of other places ask but don't enforce.

There is a lot of profiteering by testing companies, because you have to have loads of tests if you go abroad for a summer holiday.
Tests going and coming back.
Massive profiteering by companies offering to provide PPE, much of which isn't fit for use or not even delivered.
So not a bed of roses, bluebirds singing, sunlight uplands etc.

Given the choice I would be in NZ but we didn't get the choice.
Hopefully one day.
Meanwhile sensible people make sure that they are vaccinated and also take care around crowds.

The emerging trend is people who were proud of not being vaccinated now dying of Covid and saying they had made a big mistake.
There is also the increasing emergence of Long Covid which is a crippling disease which could be life long.
Caught it and recovered is not the whole story.
The more people who catch it, the more long term effects.

I think NZ had it right but now they are lagging badly in the vaccination stakes.
The "No Covid here, no worry, no hurry, she'll be right." approach hasn't done NZ any favours.
I think that once everyone who wants one has been vaccinated then NZ should open up.
It has to happen eventually.
The vaccinations reduce deaths and serious illness but they don't prevent infection and transmission.
Most of the patient in ICU haven't been vaccinated, but a lot of the new cases are double vaxxed.
So there will always be transmission in a vaccinated population.
The aim is to keep the symptoms mild or absent.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat

I think NZ had it right but now they are lagging badly in the vaccination stakes.
The "No Covid here, no worry, no hurry, she'll be right." approach hasn't done NZ any favours.
I think that once everyone who wants one has been vaccinated then NZ should open up.
I agree and that is the plan here.
MrBEVS txt this a.m. to say the centres are busy.

Hope you do manage to arrive one day. It must be tough .
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Bev
I lived in both countries in through this.
First year in Auckland and since the beginning of May in the UK .
No. You have not lived through it in the UK. You have only been there the last 12 to 16 weeks.
Our pals and family have lived it in the uk. I trust their truths and know the impacts.
GreyCat post is similar.
NZ has not had that misery yet still some of those fortunates still moan.
GreyCat is quite right though and as I have already posted , now NZ must change up the gears to achieve its goal of opening up at year end or so.

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I tend to agree with this overview. Jarv5116's description of the UK the past 18 months doesn't gel at all with what we heard from our very extensive rellies and pals back there. They've had a really rotten time and some still are. I take note that Col's sons have been OK and perhaps that is their age demographic . The lads I know in their 30's have not had a wonderful time in several ways.

The UK took a russian roulette approach and it still is. It's a dangerous experiment still & its govt's careless "mistakes" has cost many lives and that could have been avoided.. I am glad that NZ has chosen its own road which has and is showing a far greater success in terms of keeping its population as safe and well as is possible. It seems also that the UK isn't exactly 'back to normal' at all. Maybe that is because a good slice of the population have a sensible caution about their own personal health and mortality. Of course there will always be blind fools.

Being glib & throwaway with someone's else's health , welfare and family isn't such a great attribute to have ; after all it could be one of your own at any time .

I would agree that when NZ decided to open to Oz , due to pressure from the over-inflated winter tourism sector & the like, that vax should have been stepped up big-time. However that would have been restricted by what was available and in the country at the time , shipments being staggered. IMVHO NZ should not have opened borders to other than its citizens and residents until this population was vaxxed in the majority best it could. There but for just a few months NZ now plays chase its tail as many NH countries have been doing since outset.

Yesterday MrBEVS helped set up a mass vax centre down in Nelson. This area has vax centres which have been working steadily but this one is larger. The past few days and onward he is helping man test centres. Perhaps all the moaning minnies might also like to offer to do something to help rather than be whinging poms -- and I do not mean the utterly stupid clapping of hands which does bugger all.

I wrote at the outset of all of this that the world as we knew it pre-pandemic had changed almost overnight. It has and no amount of railing against that will help at all. At least NZ to date has been a success , allowing its people the ability to go about their lives safely and freely. I shall hope NZ can regain that and then continue the forward momentum with its steady balanced approach to keeping its people safe and health v living with this silent invisible virus. It is the virus that is the enemy here ,
I tried to give you karma for this post Bevs, but it says I've given you too much karma 😁

Old Aug 24th 2021, 3:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Well, we blew through the top of that estimate very rapidly indeed.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
No. You have not lived through it in the UK. You have only been there the last 12 to 16 weeks.
Our pals and family have lived it in the uk. I trust their truths and know the impacts.
GreyCat post is similar.
NZ has not had that misery yet still some of those fortunates still moan.
GreyCat is quite right though and as I have already posted , now NZ must change up the gears to achieve its goal of opening up at year end or so.
Here is an example for you.
I give it 4 weeks in NZ on Furlough on 500 bucks a week 350 after tax and public opion will change if you can't get the cases back to zero.
Sooner or later it will go into a UK method. Level 2/3 lockdown for long periods to try and minimize the cases.
If you couldn't work in the UK and were on furlough you were getting 80% of your previous years earnings.
Level 4 lockdown isn't sustainable. The economy needs to keep ticking like the UK has done for 18months.
I worked with the biggest steel fab companies in NZ with no debt and owned all the assets. They only had a few more weeks in the tank worth of money before they were in the shit last year.
Even now there is 30k cases a day and 6k in hospital.
When 80% of NZ pop is vaccinated the still won't be able to cope with the cases as the haven't invested in Health care and evolved with the virus like the euro countries have.
NZ has done absoulte nothing about the virus and they have had 18 months to prepare for it when it eventually rips through Auckland.
Euro countries had no time to prepare it was bang and had to deal with it.
Look at the death rates and the initial cases numbers at the start last April and compare it to Xmas time.
I had the exact same opion as you when I lived in NZ. I thought my wife was crazy wanting go back to UK in this.
All my family has had covid. Mum dad grandad grans aunties and uncles and cousins so yeah it has been my own and got through it.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...33OJ5V3NSF2BI/

Last edited by jarv5116; Aug 24th 2021 at 7:49 am.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Too true

Well, just had my 1st jab cancelled for the second time in a week, after last wednesday, just found tomorrow's re-arranged booking at the vaccination centre is now also canceled and moved to a 'drive in' at the airport.
Whether that means the same long test queues at the drive ins, god knows, as given the text also says you must have someone else in the car, so I'll not be able to find given I'm currently in a bubble of one.

This vaccine stroll out is proving an absolute farce. Proper planning and less of the sneering, and 80% of us could have been double jabbed by July. Certainly no go hard and early with vaccine.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Too true

Well, just had my 1st jab cancelled for the second time in a week, after last wednesday, just found tomorrow's re-arranged booking at the vaccination centre is now also canceled and moved to a 'drive in' at the airport.
Whether that means the same long test queues at the drive ins, god knows, as given the text also says you must have someone else in the car, so I'll not be able to find given I'm currently in a bubble of one.

This vaccine stroll out is proving an absolute farce. Proper planning and less of the sneering, and 80% of us could have been double jabbed by July. Certainly no go hard and early with vaccine.
WE get told how many vaccines are available, or how many are booked, but we don't hear about the rafts of cancellations every day. It took my wife 3 attempts to get one, it's ridiculous. In the prisons. Corrections staff had to wait for the govt vaccinators to come and inject the custodial staff, yet the prison population was done by the team of nurses who work at the prison everyday, who are qualified vaccinators. Why waste the govt teams time and resources when those who made the arrangements knew there were others available to do the job because they had already planned on utilizing them further down the line.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we blew through the top of that estimate very rapidly indeed.
Never mind, new estimate is 300 cases according to RNZ.

Time to book that European holiday?

​​​​​​

Last edited by Charismatic; Aug 25th 2021 at 7:50 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Never mind, new estimate is 300 cases according to RNZ.

​​​​​​
You best be quick. if it keeps going NZ will end up on Britians red list
Old Aug 26th 2021, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
68 more cases today but I still prefer my chances living here in our cave with those kinds of numbers coming into spring and warmer weather, rather than being the UK which has case numbers on the rise again and heading into Autumn / Winter.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
68 more cases today but I still prefer my chances living here in our cave with those kinds of numbers coming into spring and warmer weather, rather than being the UK which has case numbers on the rise again and heading into Autumn / Winter.
Unvaccinated in extended Level 3 or 4 lockdown sounds like fun, not.

A new ‘good news’ stat at today’s 1pm podium was percentage of people with a CV19 vaccine booking! apparently 70%

That good news stat could have been achieved in May.

Finally though today some acceptance that permanent lockdowns won’t fly when we’re fully vax’d, unfortunately though no targets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.