Coronavirus

Old Aug 19th 2021, 10:11 pm
  #946  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: permanently locked down
Posts: 733
chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

On the subject further lockdowns, good to see Morrison across the ditch confirming lockdowns will become history once 70-80% vaccine rate reached
Covid 19 coronavirus: Australian PM Scott Morrison slams Western Australia's virus plans - NZ Herald

Indications here last week before recent outbreak and even this with several labour ministers have been the opposite, which isn't feasible. Lockdowns with single case
chocolate cake is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:25 am
  #947  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,853
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
On the subject further lockdowns, good to see Morrison across the ditch confirming lockdowns will become history once 70-80% vaccine rate reached
Covid 19 coronavirus: Australian PM Scott Morrison slams Western Australia's virus plans - NZ Herald

Indications here last week before recent outbreak and even this with several labour ministers have been the opposite, which isn't feasible. Lockdowns with single case
Just a shame State Premiers don't agree. QLd for instance is still being told that we will be locked down for single cases, even at the (impossible) 100% vaccination level.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:35 am
  #948  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 293
jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Yeah, little doubt the NZ govt vaccine strollout is to blame for the strict level 4 lockdown we have now.

There can be no pretence otherwise, it’s just lucky we’ve got so far since the last one.

Strange decision to go for Pfizer only & then happy to remain at the back of queue for receiving them, on the premise we don’t have any CV19.

Only last week it was being promoted here that there will still be lockdowns with a single case when we’re fully double jabbed! Madness, it’s proven that people still pick up CV19 when double jabbed, just largely protected from the symptoms.
So that’s so likely more of these lockdowns.

Hopefully this isn’t going to fly after this latest lockdown.

With better management everyone should have been jabbed by July.
instead only 40% Police have had a single jab, Port workers in Tauranga the other week unjabbed, my parents in their 70’s had their first jab on Tuesday, mine was supposed to be Wednesday but instead with lack of preparation we had vaccines suspended for 24 hours.

So how long this lockdown??
I think Auckland will be level 4 for 3 or 4 weeks then level 3 for another 2 or 3 weeks.
Maybe they will open other cities up and just have regional lockdowns after next week. but its managing the regional lockdown. you always have some dicks breaking the rules.
Iv not seen anything about the south Island cases. seems a bit crazy locking down the south Island if there is no cases.

Most people in the UK hospitals now have been doubled jabbed. But it's bound to happen when 80% of the adult population is vaccinated if the vaccine isn't 100% then most of the cases will have been vaccinated. Still getting 25-30k cases a day with 80% vaccinated. just now there is 6k in hospital and 900 on icu beds with 80% population vaccinated.
When NZ is 70 or 80% vaccinated and opens up its still going to over run what ICU beds they have.

this virus isn't going anywere.

Trying to maintain a zero policy is impossible. It was the right thing todo at the start what Oz and NZ did but you need to look at how to manage it in the future.

Last edited by jarv5116; Aug 20th 2021 at 2:40 am.
jarv5116 is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:52 am
  #949  
Truth is the safest lie.
 
Charismatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: @ the beach.
Posts: 7,246
Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just a shame State Premiers don't agree. QLd for instance is still being told that we will be locked down for single cases, even at the (impossible) 100% vaccination level.
​​​​​​I doubt that, in reality, they would lock down without federal financial aid. Most literature I've seen suggests that this will likely become endemic within the human population much like other viruses have (Bird flu, Swine flu etc.) However we really do need to vaccinate the most vulnerable at least to prevent hospitals overflowing before we can start to remove measures.
Charismatic is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2021, 9:35 am
  #950  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,537
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

To add another twist to the shit show that is Arderns vaccination program. we now have 12 to 15 year olds being vaccinated ahead of more vulnerable people in older age groups.

Justcol is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2021, 10:16 pm
  #951  
Truth is the safest lie.
 
Charismatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: @ the beach.
Posts: 7,246
Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Well the forecast by MoH was for 50 to 120 cases and we've already found 51 as of the update today. Realistically it will take at least 14 days of lockdown in the infected geographic regions (Auckland and Wellington) before we can make a call on the lockdown effectiveness. I hope this works because at the speed of vaccination, as it currently stands, we're facing a long lockdown before we get anywhere near fully vaccinated.

One good thing is that compliance starts our relatively high and only starts to be eroded when people see a strategy isn't working. This is probably as gooder chance as we will get if this strategy works against a more transmissible strain of the coronavirus.
Charismatic is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2021, 4:12 pm
  #952  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 5,249
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

At least we're making the most of a good crisis and record numbers of folks have been vaxxed this past couple of days with more capacity added for essential workers; which of course is how it should have been in the first place. I have no objection to youngsters getting vaxxed, it probably is more efficient use of time and resources to vax a whole family in one go. All the older / sicker folks have had lots of opportunity to get booked in before now and if they're not already in the system with appointments booked then it is really is on them and nobody's fault but their own, if they or a family member hasn't stepped up to get them booked in.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2021, 9:58 pm
  #953  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: permanently locked down
Posts: 733
chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
At least we're making the most of a good crisis and record numbers of folks have been vaxxed this past couple of days with more capacity added for essential workers; which of course is how it should have been in the first place. I have no objection to youngsters getting vaxxed, it probably is more efficient use of time and resources to vax a whole family in one go. All the older / sicker folks have had lots of opportunity to get booked in before now and if they're not already in the system with appointments booked then it is really is on them and nobody's fault but their own, if they or a family member hasn't stepped up to get them booked in.
Not totally true as regards ‘older/sicker’ folks having plenty of opportunity to be jabbed so far.
Some regions maybe 🤔 but in many the stoll out hasn’t extended that far. It’s only now the govts got any kind of decent supply, and some of this because gap between is being extended, the very same decision that’s been criticised beforehand.

Certainly go hard n earlier has not applied to the vaccine rollout. We’re sitting ducks without a lockdown because of that decision.
chocolate cake is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 7:07 am
  #954  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,537
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
At least we're making the most of a good crisis and record numbers of folks have been vaxxed this past couple of days with more capacity added for essential workers; which of course is how it should have been in the first place. I have no objection to youngsters getting vaxxed, it probably is more efficient use of time and resources to vax a whole family in one go. All the older / sicker folks have had lots of opportunity to get booked in before now and if they're not already in the system with appointments booked then it is really is on them and nobody's fault but their own, if they or a family member hasn't stepped up to get them booked in.
Appointments get cancelled for no reason, took my Mrs nearly 3 weeks and three attempts to finally get her jab, and she's a bloody nurse !!

All they have to do is increase the number of vaxxes by one to say there are record numbers being given. There's only 5 million of us, this should have been a task even a child could have organized. it really is that simple.

The process has been manipulated for political gain. It's a farce and a failure
Justcol is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 8:56 am
  #955  
She'll be right
 
Pom_Chch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Near the beach, NZ
Posts: 1,498
Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

I am getting the impression that there's a false sense of security in the UK. Not enough people are double vaccinated yet to stave off the delta variant (plus other variants). With other variants taking hold in other countries, it's only a matter of time before they end up on UK's doorstep. It's only a matter of time before that catches up with the population and you end up in the same position as last year. Good ol' Bo Jo can lift restrictions and return to normal all he likes but the freedom you have currently might not be the freedom you have moving forwards.

You are right though, NZ can't lockdown forever. And it won't. We will have to lockdown until enough of the population is vaccinated. Which isn't yet but give it 3 months and we will be well on our way to opening up the borders safety.
Pom_Chch is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:26 am
  #956  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 293
jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I am getting the impression that there's a false sense of security in the UK. Not enough people are double vaccinated yet to stave off the delta variant (plus other variants). With other variants taking hold in other countries, it's only a matter of time before they end up on UK's doorstep. It's only a matter of time before that catches up with the population and you end up in the same position as last year. Good ol' Bo Jo can lift restrictions and return to normal all he likes but the freedom you have currently might not be the freedom you have moving forwards.

You are right though, NZ can't lockdown forever. And it won't. We will have to lockdown until enough of the population is vaccinated. Which isn't yet but give it 3 months and we will be well on our way to opening up the borders safety.
Mate you can slate bojo and the UK all you want.
At least he's trying to do something and move forward and got the bollocks to try. not bury his head in the sand like jacinda and Morrison.
He's made mistakes sure but at least he's trying todo something.
The UK has 80% of the Adult pop double vaccinate now and will probs have had the vulnerable there 3rd booster before jacinda gets her head out the sand method. plus the % of people that have had the virus and will have built up immunity aswell. You won't get a better time to crack the heard immunity idea.
The difference with the UK is the restrictions don't impact your whole life. You still go to work and get on with it as per normal.
Like I says before if you vaccinate 80% of the population in NZ your still going to have 1ks and 1ks of cases everyday and the % that don't get vaccinate will soon fill up the 300 icu beds in NZ fast.

jarv5116 is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:35 am
  #957  
She'll be right
 
Pom_Chch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Near the beach, NZ
Posts: 1,498
Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Mate you can slate bojo and the UK all you want.
At least he's trying to do something and move forward and got the bollocks to try. not bury his head in the sand like jacinda and Morrison.
He's made mistakes sure but at least he's trying todo something.
The UK has 80% of the Adult pop double vaccinate now and will probs have had the vulnerable there 3rd booster before jacinda gets her head out the sand method. plus the % of people that have had the virus and will have built up immunity aswell. You won't get a better time to crack the heard immunity idea.
The difference with the UK is the restrictions don't impact your whole life. You still go to work and get on with it as per normal.
Like I says before if you vaccinate 80% of the population in NZ your still going to have 1ks and 1ks of cases everyday and the % that don't get vaccinate will soon fill up the 300 icu beds in NZ fast.
Great, good luck with that. I think you will need it!
Pom_Chch is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:19 am
  #958  
`
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 38,629
BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I am getting the impression that there's a false sense of security in the UK. Not enough people are double vaccinated yet to stave off the delta variant (plus other variants). With other variants taking hold in other countries, it's only a matter of time before they end up on UK's doorstep. It's only a matter of time before that catches up with the population and you end up in the same position as last year. Good ol' Bo Jo can lift restrictions and return to normal all he likes but the freedom you have currently might not be the freedom you have moving forwards.

You are right though, NZ can't lockdown forever. And it won't. We will have to lockdown until enough of the population is vaccinated. Which isn't yet but give it 3 months and we will be well on our way to opening up the borders safety.
I tend to agree with this overview. Jarv5116's description of the UK the past 18 months doesn't gel at all with what we heard from our very extensive rellies and pals back there. They've had a really rotten time and some still are. I take note that Col's sons have been OK and perhaps that is their age demographic . The lads I know in their 30's have not had a wonderful time in several ways.

The UK took a russian roulette approach and it still is. It's a dangerous experiment still & its govt's careless "mistakes" has cost many lives and that could have been avoided.. I am glad that NZ has chosen its own road which has and is showing a far greater success in terms of keeping its population as safe and well as is possible. It seems also that the UK isn't exactly 'back to normal' at all. Maybe that is because a good slice of the population have a sensible caution about their own personal health and mortality. Of course there will always be blind fools.

Being glib & throwaway with someone's else's health , welfare and family isn't such a great attribute to have ; after all it could be one of your own at any time .

I would agree that when NZ decided to open to Oz , due to pressure from the over-inflated winter tourism sector & the like, that vax should have been stepped up big-time. However that would have been restricted by what was available and in the country at the time , shipments being staggered. IMVHO NZ should not have opened borders to other than its citizens and residents until this population was vaxxed in the majority best it could. There but for just a few months NZ now plays chase its tail as many NH countries have been doing since outset.

Yesterday MrBEVS helped set up a mass vax centre down in Nelson. This area has vax centres which have been working steadily but this one is larger. The past few days and onward he is helping man test centres. Perhaps all the moaning minnies might also like to offer to do something to help rather than be whinging poms -- and I do not mean the utterly stupid clapping of hands which does bugger all.

I wrote at the outset of all of this that the world as we knew it pre-pandemic had changed almost overnight. It has and no amount of railing against that will help at all. At least NZ to date has been a success , allowing its people the ability to go about their lives safely and freely. I shall hope NZ can regain that and then continue the forward momentum with its steady balanced approach to keeping its people safe and health v living with this silent invisible virus. It is the virus that is the enemy here ,

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 22nd 2021 at 11:23 am. Reason: spelling
BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 1:35 pm
  #959  
Truth is the safest lie.
 
Charismatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: @ the beach.
Posts: 7,246
Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Looking alone at the vaccination rate in the UK doesn't tell the whole story. While 62% of the entire population (77% of the population age 16+, which is how the UK reports statistics) are vaccinated the ONS antibody survey indicates 90 to 92% of all adults in the UK now have Covid-19 antibodies.

The idea of a strategy based around elimination that extends beyond the vaccination cycle is absolute folly in my view. It prevents healthcare services and businesses from planning for what will be inevitable. In addition it lends implicit support to people who are reluctant to be vaccinated by giving them a false sense of safety.
​​​


Last edited by Charismatic; Aug 22nd 2021 at 1:37 pm.
Charismatic is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:24 pm
  #960  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 293
jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BEVS
I tend to agree with this overview. Jarv5116's description of the UK the past 18 months doesn't gel at all with what we heard from our very extensive rellies and pals back there. They've had a really rotten time and some still are. I take note that Col's sons have been OK and perhaps that is their age demographic . The lads I know in their 30's have not had a wonderful time in several ways.

The UK took a russian roulette approach and it still is. It's a dangerous experiment still & its govt's careless "mistakes" has cost many lives and that could have been avoided.. I am glad that NZ has chosen its own road which has and is showing a far greater success in terms of keeping its population as safe and well as is possible. It seems also that the UK isn't exactly 'back to normal' at all. Maybe that is because a good slice of the population have a sensible caution about their own personal health and mortality. Of course there will always be blind fools.

Being glib & throwaway with someone's else's health , welfare and family isn't such a great attribute to have ; after all it could be one of your own at any time .

I would agree that when NZ decided to open to Oz , due to pressure from the over-inflated winter tourism sector & the like, that vax should have been stepped up big-time. However that would have been restricted by what was available and in the country at the time , shipments being staggered. IMVHO NZ should not have opened borders to other than its citizens and residents until this population was vaxxed in the majority best it could. There but for just a few months NZ now plays chase its tail as many NH countries have been doing since outset.

Yesterday MrBEVS helped set up a mass vax centre down in Nelson. This area has vax centres which have been working steadily but this one is larger. The past few days and onward he is helping man test centres. Perhaps all the moaning minnies might also like to offer to do something to help rather than be whinging poms -- and I do not mean the utterly stupid clapping of hands which does bugger all.

I wrote at the outset of all of this that the world as we knew it pre-pandemic had changed almost overnight. It has and no amount of railing against that will help at all. At least NZ to date has been a success , allowing its people the ability to go about their lives safely and freely. I shall hope NZ can regain that and then continue the forward momentum with its steady balanced approach to keeping its people safe and health v living with this silent invisible virus. It is the virus that is the enemy here ,
Bev
I lived in both countries in through this.
First year in Auckland and since the beginning of May in the UK.
The only differnce to me personally. I'm 40 married with a one year old is I had to wear a mask in Tesco for the first month I was back. apart from that you wouldn't know the pandemic was here honestly. That's with 50k cases everyday. It's now dropped to 25-30k.
The UK is evolved over 18 months and learning to live with it.
If you look at the initial amountt of cases to death rates it was alot higher than it is now.
The invested heavily in NHS and built 7 new hospitals to cope with it. All ventilators and ICU beds for covid.
Invested heavily in the vaccines and developed vaccines.
Invested heavily in vaccine roll out.

Even now who knows if having 80% of the pop vaccinated is going to work? The virus is constantly mutating. If you had some of the views on here the country would be in lockdown forever.

The UK and most euro countries are trying to live with it and get on with it.

NZ has done nothing except close a border and even that is a mess.
At some point its going to catch up with NZ.
The virus isn't going anywere and will constantly mutate if you keep NZ method everytime a new strain is released it will be lockdown. You can't maintain it.

jarv5116 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.