Sick of canada

Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of canada

Here in the UK I hold doors open for any person who is following on closely from behind, irrespective of their gender....I never let a door close behind me if I know there is someone else approaching. It makes no difference to me whether its a male or a female, of any age. But I have held a door open for females in a group and waited for them to pass through and usually most, if not all, will thank you, but not always. I was at the Royal Worcester "seconds" store in Worcester (now there's a surprise!) one day and I saw a largeish group of elderly American females approaching from behind as I was about to go through the main entrance door so I held the door open for them all to pass through. Not one single one even so much as looked at me as they sailed through like stately galleons, let alone offer even a murnmur of thanks. It left me feeling like I wanted to kick the butt of each and every one of them as their sailed by.

In the UK the ratio number of gentleman in society declines in proportion to the number of females who behave like ladies - also much in decline. One will follow on from the other, with, as usual, the females leading the way. Blokes will behave accordingly.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Well all I can say is THANK GOD for that post (above). Geez. I was born here, been here my whole life and I just cannot understand how my fellow Canadian-born friends and family cannot see that being inside for 6-7 months a year is not normal and it is not healthy. Thank you for posting this. My husband is British and he has shown me that there is another 'lifestyle' out there which does not involve hibernating for six months and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes for the other six months of the year. You mean there are actually places in the world where you can sit outside in your garden on a beautiful evening? Amazing. Or walk outdoors in February without slipping and knocking your damned self unconscious and then freezing to death while a snowplow covers your body? I wish I were joking.

omg you are hilliarus, but you are so right, but you did not mention the first day of summer that arrives the day after the last day of winter. And that it is usually 35 degrees so you have to hide inside for the next 2 months with the ac blasting.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Every winter, Cumbrian Lass, every winter I consider it. I have dual citizenship and husband is British (from Yorkshire). We have the ability, the opp and the funds... just waiting for one last winter to push us over the edge.

I do love Canada. I don't like the climate (Ontario). It's either the British Isles or British Columbia. One day.

Also, husband finds that life here is quite boring, especially on the weekends. He used to enjoy his jaunts from Maidenhead and York out and about, rambling, pubs, museums. I'm preaching to the choir here, I know!
Lilipuddian you have such an amazing sense of humour, you would fit in well in the UK, you should just go for it. i have been in ontario for 18 years and I am moving back to the UK in Oct.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guinness
Lilipuddian you have such an amazing sense of humour, you would fit in well in the UK, you should just go for it. i have been in ontario for 18 years and I am moving back to the UK in Oct.
WOW 18yrs is a long time to be away!!!! we are considering going back even if we dont sell.We cannot stand another thought of spending another winter here,so hopfull if we get our skates on 1st of August for us.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
WOW 18yrs is a long time to be away!!!! we are considering going back even if we dont sell.We cannot stand another thought of spending another winter here,so hopfull if we get our skates on 1st of August for us.
What part of the UK are you moving to? our house goes up for sale this weekend so fingers and toes crossed.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

We are thinking ......some where around Lancaster (Carnforth,Arnside,Kendal) or round about there. We were from the Harrington/Whitehaven area.but it is a bit isolated there and there is only BNFL (nuclear plant) for work there,and its not taking on right now.My OH worked there for years,and really doesnt want to go back there.We also have a 13yrs old son,so he is our main concern as to where we move really.We need a good school and a nice village with good access of a large town or city.
Good luck with your house sale......we keep hoping ours will go,but things are still slow
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

We are thinking ......some where around Lancaster (Carnforth,Arnside,Kendal) or round about there. We were from the Harrington/Whitehaven area.but it is a bit isolated there and there is only BNFL (nuclear plant) for work there,and its not taking on right now.My OH worked there for years,and really doesnt want to go back there.We also have a 13yrs old son,so he is our main concern as to where we move really.We need a good school and a nice village with good access of a large town or city.
Good luck with your house sale......we keep hoping ours will go,but things are still slow
How about over the border in Lancashire, some very nice areas. Not forgetting Southport, lol. A great seaside town with easy access to Preston, Liverpool, Manchester and The Lakes, not forgetting the worlds best golf courses!
You've been away awhile i guess, not been BNFL for years, lol.
Might cross paths over the Atlantic as we're on our way over very soon I hope! Good luck in your move.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

good luck with your move, I am from N.Ireland originally and have no interest in living there so we are looking at Yorkshire. My family are all still in N.I so being close to a city with an airport is also important. I am lucky that I live in Toronto and the housing market is still very hot.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Guinness
good luck with your move, I am from N.Ireland originally and have no interest in living there so we are looking at Yorkshire. My family are all still in N.I so being close to a city with an airport is also important. I am lucky that I live in Toronto and the housing market is still very hot.
I was born and brought up in West Yorks, so if you need any info on places to look at or avoid, feel free to get back to me. What sort of work are you in? Leeds is one of the fastest growing cities at the moment and some nice areas are well within commuting distance. Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
I was born and brought up in West Yorks, so if you need any info on places to look at or avoid, feel free to get back to me. What sort of work are you in? Leeds is one of the fastest growing cities at the moment and some nice areas are well within commuting distance. Good luck.
Nwtrucker thank you for your reply, we are looking at Skipton. We were there in May and I love it and it is close to the Dales. I am in retail so I taking the bus to Leeds would probably be my best option.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dont think we can wait to sell..........looking at removals today and rentals in the UK .........need to get out of here,cannot stand the thought of yet another winter here lol