Sick of canada

Old May 12th 2011, 5:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of canada

You know that your employer will alter the tax deductions at source based on whatever info you give them on the TD1 form, right? Then if it doesnt add up at the end of the year and you owe them back taxes you can blame yourself instead of the government

Personally I prefer the canadian system where I can claim tax credits for charitable donations, money saved for retirement, major medical expenses etc etc etc, it seems a bit much to expect my employer to know about all that and deduct accordingly.

No cat licences where I am, and dog licenses not much enforced to be honest. Property taxes are local, not provincially dictated, but some of the duplication of various facets of life here can drive you nuts, if you let it, like the Ontario government approving new elecricity rates, but deciding that due to the increase they will pay 10% of the bill (with money thats mine already from the provincial tax pool )

Its mostly still "cradles" where I live, driving is usually pretty civilised, plus there is next to no traffic which no doubt helps enormously. I get the impression there are many different types of "Canada" out there, and I was lucky to end up in one I like. Toronto aint that far away and its a different story there, far more "competitive".

Last edited by iaink; May 12th 2011 at 6:11 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
I would never do that either. If it does happen, which it has on the rare occasion, I've not asked them to have a seat and get comfortable but instead state they have caught me at a bad time for visiting as I'm cooking, need to make important calls, whatever and have suggested another time, i.e. stop over tomorrow evening for coffee or a glass of wine.

Yes and no about it being a cultural thing. Both Canada and the US are made up of foreigns ... meant that nicely folks. These new residents have brought their own culture, prejudices, bias, ill-manners, etc. along with them. On top of that there are the generations following the "liberation" of women and the discarding of male/female courtesies which you speak of. Being of an older generation, I do thank a man for holding a door for me, or letting me on or off the elevator first but yet I don't expect him to open car doors for me. I like to use manners and common sense when dealing with others. I, too, let the occasional driver ahead of me and when it is extended to me, I will wave a thank you. My husband, the Canuck, says the poor driving behavior of Canadian residences today is due to foreigners to his country. I don't completely agree with that sentiment.
Glad this is a civilized discussion BTW, and I think you realize I'm not trying to be offensive .... the courtesy thing was not meant specifically with the example you gave (gender courtesy), but I would include that. It's just common courtesy. Every place struggles with courtesy though... perhaps it's just that years ago we regarded it highly, whereas now it's a minority that does. I'm keen to bring my kids up to be courteous but they get confused when that courtesy does not get passed back to them.

Only a few days ago, at a kids play zone, a little boy started spitting on them because they were waiting to go on a swing or whatever he was on. That's just a very badly brought up child, who has gotten away without having regard for anyone else, and if that is not corrected, it will be taken into adult hood.

Regarding the driving, Vancouver is a melting pot and I guess some road customs clash. To me, being passive to others seems sensible and courteous. But there are some, perhaps those who've always lived in a city, who seem to feel if they are letting someone in, then they are losing out themselves. I have noticed a direct connection between certain nationalities and bad driving, but not wishing to upset anyone here, or be accused of racial hatred, will just suffice to say 'a type of immigrant'. I've noticed that particular nation is disrespectful to others of their nation, so I don't consider it racially motivated. But it does make driving extremely hazardous at times. What's needed is more clear rules of the road and enforcement of those rules.

Can you imagine what would happen in the air if airlines from different countries followed contending protocols. In fact this did happen and resulted in a collision between a Fedex 727 and a russian owned aircraft transporting over 100 kids, many years ago. Neither commander was disobeying the rules they were used to, but the russian crew obeyed the air traffic controller instruction, whereas the Fedex crew obeyed their collision avoidance system (which overrules ATC on occasions). As it turned out, they both took avoiding action but it was the wrong type. I think the verdict placed slightly more blame on ATC and the russian crew because the protocol was to obey onboard collision avoidance. I'm using this as an example how despite our cultural backgrounds, we have to follow a standard set of rules to co-exist, and in Vancouver there are few such rules, and many people who break the rules that exist.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I like holding doors open for Women, helping them out and treating them differently to men, I think I must be living in the wrong era....
Ha ha I think you're right. I suspect the numbers of women 'expecting' this courtesy has dwindled. I think the liberated just want us to all be the same and do away with genders altogether. What a boring place that would be, and that's kind of what's happening. Why can't we embrace difference without being accused of being stuffy, sexist and racist? Most who influence these shifts in social behaviour are just mindless morons with nothing better to do with their time, replacing courtesy with indifference.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I hold doors open for anyone heading that way... I dont see what gender has to do with it, if they are going in/out then someone has to open the door right? Id say the majority of people here say thanks too, which is nice.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As to what you said about the kid spitting on children in the playground because he wanted the swing, I do have to say we have similar down here in New York City and its 'burbs. My granddaughter who is two months shy of 3 years old has to contend with bullies in the playground and in the library when they go for story hour. She has toys and books grabbed from her hands and the bully's mom never says a word. Well my daughter is none to shy and she will not only speak with the child but with the mom as well about the rude behavior.

I readily admit to a bit of road rage and discourtsey when approaching the George Washington Bridge when going and coming from New Jersey to visit my family. The approach to the Bridge on the NY side from the thruway is two lanes which ends in a left and right split. The right goes to the Throggs Neck Bridge and Long Island and the left to the GW and New Jersey. Drivers continually use the right lane and cut off people who have waited their turn to get to the Y to bear left for the GW bridge. The problem is the swing around is wide because this approach to the bridge is used by tractor trailers. I get pissed because you might wait 15 minutes to get to the turn and it is only because after the wide span the road only is wide enough for one vehicle so everyone properly waiting to go left are help up for the idiots who are cutting in from the right lane. I drive as close to the right lane as possible to make it an either hit me or wait situation for the cutters.

The same with going home, you get backed up waiting to approach the bridge because it is 5 lanes going to 2 lanes going to one lane and then opening up eventually to 12 lanes for the toll booths and then back to 12 to 10 to 5 to 3. Someone always wants to drive in the breakdown lane.

I hate going to NJ in the summer.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

KayFisher86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Ha ha I think you're right. I suspect the numbers of women 'expecting' this courtesy has dwindled. I think the liberated just want us to all be the same and do away with genders altogether. What a boring place that would be, and that's kind of what's happening. Why can't we embrace difference without being accused of being stuffy, sexist and racist? Most who influence these shifts in social behaviour are just mindless morons with nothing better to do with their time, replacing courtesy with indifference.
I actually like it when men act like gentleman and in no way do I take offence. Theres not enough gentlemen left if you ask me
Old May 12th 2011, 11:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
...like the Ontario government approving new elecricity rates, but deciding that due to the increase they will pay 10% of the bill
That's very similar to what they did in NB.

I'm curious though...did they do it sensibly or as they announced it would be done here with bill payers saving 12 bills and everyone sending them off to have individual percentages back?
Old May 13th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I find the whole door opening thing different here (compared to the US). I still feel as though I am being impolite if I don't open the door for a woman or let her go through first, but I realize that is not the norm so much in the UK any more - in fact there are some who see it as "patronizing to women".

So sometimes I have to fight my impulse to be "gentlemanly" and just open the door and walk through myself (because if I don't, we end up in this weird situation where the woman stands there as if to say "Well, you've got the door open, aren't you going to go through?"). The part I find odd is this: I'll generally hold the door open for whomever I'm walking with (male or female), but I don't think once have I experienced a female colleague opening the door for me.

I had a weird gender situation in the States, though, too. Walking into a room with four "women" who I knew, and I greeted them with "Morning, ladies". The response from one was a haughty "What did you call us?" and we got into this stupid discussion of "We don't call you Lords" - the implication being that "Ladies" was an anachronistic, feudal/patronizing term. When I explained that "Ladies" goes with "Gentlemen" and I wouldn't mind being referred to as a Gentleman, things calmed down a little. It's anti-sexism gone mad, I tell you. Why can't we just get along??
Well, I for one, really appreciate a gentleman who still knows how to treat a lady with chivalry.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's very similar to what they did in NB.

I'm curious though...did they do it sensibly or as they announced it would be done here with bill payers saving 12 bills and everyone sending them off to have individual percentages back?
Just a flat 10% reduction in the bill automatically here. Annoys me that they have not weighted it in order to reward those who are trying to reduce usage and punish those with no regard for environmental issues. Seems like a lost opportunity considering they introduced time of use billing for much the same reason.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Just a flat 10% reduction in the bill automatically here.
Thought so. Simple.
Annoys me that they have not weighted it in order to reward those who are trying to reduce usage and punish those with no regard for environmental issues.
OTOH some might not be able to cut back.

They keep changing the rates charged above and below a certain level here. It's as if they can't make up their minds whether to help or penalise large users. Every winter we turn heating down or off overnight but we're always well into the higher consumption part.

In our third winter we changed living rooms and made a big reduction in conmsumption only to see no reduced bill because they changed the charging structure.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's right. None of the 30 million or so of us Canadians understand the British humour.

Have you lived anywhere in Canada other than the place you are now? Perhaps if you lived somewhere else you might find that in such a huge country the population is extremely diverse. Could it also be possible that you enjoyed it more when you came on holiday because you were on holiday and not engrossed in the day to day of life?
ha ha ...I actually have Canadian friends that do get the humour, but most people here don't but it's fun to watch how they try to figure out whether we ment what we said or whether it was just a joke lol.
I totally agree that just living in one city/neighbourhood isn't enough to say "I am sick of Canada". I'd always give another city/province a chance.
I am tired of this place sometimes and yes a lot of the Canadians here are cold-ish and a bit snobby, but some are not and I don't need 30 million friends, a couple are enough. And to be honest there were people and places both in the UK and Germany where I've lived before that I just couldn't stand.
I sometimes wonder why people moved to Canada when live abroad was so full of fun, laughter and joy
Old May 13th 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
ha ha ...I actually have Canadian friends that do get the humour, but most people here don't but it's fun to watch how they try to figure out whether we ment what we said or whether it was just a joke lol.
I totally agree that just living in one city/neighbourhood isn't enough to say "I am sick of Canada". I'd always give another city/province a chance.
I am tired of this place sometimes and yes a lot of the Canadians here are cold-ish and a bit snobby, but some are not and I don't need 30 million friends, a couple are enough. And to be honest there were people and places both in the UK and Germany where I've lived before that I just couldn't stand.
I sometimes wonder why people moved to Canada when live abroad was so full of fun, laughter and joy
Not everyone has the option of relocating in Canada however, we did consider it but as I am an RPN (registered psychiatric nurse) some provinces don't even recognise this as a qualification which is how it it in the US. And the thought of all the upheaval for the kids only to find that it was the UK we were hankering after all was really what put us off that option. We have to settle somewhere for their sakes now they are coming up to high school age and we don't really have the luxury of trying out different places to see what they'd be like, even if we wanted to do that.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Not everyone has the option of relocating in Canada however, we did consider it but as I am an RPN (registered psychiatric nurse) some provinces don't even recognise this as a qualification which is how it it in the US. And the thought of all the upheaval for the kids only to find that it was the UK we were hankering after all was really what put us off that option. We have to settle somewhere for their sakes now they are coming up to high school age and we don't really have the luxury of trying out different places to see what they'd be like, even if we wanted to do that.
Same. I sometimes think I would like to try Ottawa (our original first choice) but then I think what if I don't like it there either?
That would be another big move and more disruption and maybe more unhappiness.
I agree each province is different, but I think if you want to move back to England, that's what you have to do.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If you want to move back to England... thats the crux isnt it. IF you want to move back to England and you know thats what you want, then go for it.

"Wanting to move back to England", and being "Sick of where you are" are possibly two different things, especially in a large and diverse country like Canada. Most people in that situation have after all lived in the UK before, and had various reasons to leave. I dont think we should have too many expectations that it has changed for the better in our absence, even if we have changed, so for some its worth considering the other options carefully.

I guess money plays into it to. Moving, either back to the UK, or within Canada, is going to eat up resources, and the worry for many is they may financially only have one bite at a relocation so better the devil you know.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Originally Posted by Lorry1
Same. I sometimes think I would like to try Ottawa (our original first choice) but then I think what if I don't like it there either?
That would be another big move and more disruption and maybe more unhappiness.
I agree each province is different, but I think if you want to move back to England, that's what you have to do.
I agree with this too. I sometimes wonder if I'd be happier elsewhere in Canada as well, but the distances are too great and I don't have the heart to drag the family away from their roots here just to find out the same. The UK may be small and crowded, but at least one party can move and check out a place and still drive back for the w/e. If I'm going to make a big move now, I'm going the whole hog and back to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.