Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think DDL's thread on here is just what you are looking for.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671926

I was a residential manager at one of these places for 4 months and my sister was one for about 4 years I think.
Yes ,this is what I was going to point her way

There are suitable places that you speak of Chris ~my Mum has been looking in to various places, with the same requests as you
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mallory
Poole/Bournemouth area is lovely. One of the warmest spots in England. Lots of retirees there, and probably would be quite diverse. I believe you would fit in well. The Poole area is very expensive though - a lot of wealthy people retire there.
Actually, that is where my Mum is heading ...

It interests her as she feels it has that small city feel ,plus the sea
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think DDL's thread on here is just what you are looking for.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671926

I was a residential manager at one of these places for 4 months and my sister was one for about 4 years I think.
Bee...Thank You.
Sometime ago I did go to that thread and since have made use of from those links above...found even more websites...so yes, that particular answer was really helpful. Those links were like an arrow >>>> pointing me in the right direction. Just now had a 2nd look...seems last night I was looking at some Peveral properties...all were for sale.
But glad you reposted because I will now take each of the 'quotes' one by one for a deeper in-depth look. Any other senior here, beside me contemplating these kind of living arrangements back in the UK?
And what is a 'lease-hold'??
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mallory
Poole/Bournemouth area is lovely. One of the warmest spots in England. Lots of retirees there, and probably would be quite diverse. I believe you would fit in well. The Poole area is very expensive though - a lot of wealthy people retire there.
Thanks Mallory...truly...these are just the types of things I need to hear/know...like weather, diversity, economy etc. Ahem...I can hob-nob with the best of them!! Nah...only kidding..they'd probably wonder..WTH?!?
But I thought the 565 pcm not too expensive, when I converted my dollars into pounds. The place was called Poole Centre on rightmove, but did not give an address, just the pic of the building and pics of inside...even comes with a washer and dishwasher! Is why I had to do the Google map 'drive' and is how I found where it was exactly located. When you say that area is expensive...is the cost of food and utilities higher there? Also seems this Poole Centre...is walking distance or at least very close to the Poole Rail Station..which I think is a plus.
Mallory...I think you already know me too well! I'm thinking I might have to glue my birth certificate on my forehead, should I return.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Bee...Thank You.
Sometime ago I did go to that thread and since have made use of from those links above...found even more websites...so yes, that particular answer was really helpful. Those links were like an arrow >>>> pointing me in the right direction. Just now had a 2nd look...seems last night I was looking at some Peveral properties...all were for sale.
But glad you reposted because I will now take each of the 'quotes' one by one for a deeper in-depth look. Any other senior here, beside me contemplating these kind of living arrangements back in the UK?
And what is a 'lease-hold'??
Peverel was the company I worked for!! As far as I know all their properties are for buying only but don't quote me on that.......

I think if you put sheltered housing into Google you will be surprised at just how much of it there is over here.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Actually, that is where my Mum is heading ...

It interests her as she feels it has that small city feel ,plus the sea
Gab.. seems your Mum and I have similar tastes ...but then seems I have always lived near water. Illinois, Texas and Florida. I love large expanses of water ...soothes my soul.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone else here identify with some of the same things I have shared here? Am not trying to engage in a slam-fest of the USA...just if others can share their thoughts and/or knowledge of renting in England and if current events are 'disturbing' to others here and if that might be one of a number of determining factors to make the move.
While I have become disillusioned over the last few years, that's not the primary driver for me. But it has been for my husband, who is now enthusiastic about moving and may want to do it in a year and a half rather than the five years he originally suggested. For me, the move has always been about realizing what's important (friends and family) and wanting to get back to that, but America has certainly changed in the time I've been here - or maybe it always was that way and I just didn't see it? This latest Donald Trump sideshow is just a bridge too far for me.

We will also rent but I think for us it will be temporary. We'll be 50 when we move back and would still like to own our home in the UK, but we don't want to buy until we are sure about where to live. If we rent, we can take our time looking around and make that decision after a few years. I wouldn't like to rent permanently just because I really like to have my home the way I like it, and not being able to decorate or knock down walls would really bother me.

I do think those retirement communities make a lot of sense. My mum is looking at those, but she says most of them are down south at the moment and they want to stay in the Cumbria area.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
While I have become disillusioned over the last few years, that's not the primary driver for me. But it has been for my husband, who is now enthusiastic about moving and may want to do it in a year and a half rather than the five years he originally suggested. For me, the move has always been about realizing what's important (friends and family) and wanting to get back to that, but America has certainly changed in the time I've been here - or maybe it always was that way and I just didn't see it? This latest Donald Trump sideshow is just a bridge too far for me.

We will also rent but I think for us it will be temporary. We'll be 50 when we move back and would still like to own our home in the UK, but we don't want to buy until we are sure about where to live. If we rent, we can take our time looking around and make that decision after a few years. I wouldn't like to rent permanently just because I really like to have my home the way I like it, and not being able to decorate or knock down walls would really bother me.

I do think those retirement communities make a lot of sense. My mum is looking at those, but she says most of them are down south at the moment and they want to stay in the Cumbria area.
Not advertising for Peverel REALLY but this is their search facility to buy a retirement home:

http://www.retirementhomesearch.co.uk/

Quite a few in Kendal!!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 12th 2011 at 5:18 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Sally, if I were younger I would probably feel much like you in regards to buying. And I do believe renting first, until finding just the right place to buy..is the way to go, even if one is moving from one place to another here in the US..if the person/s has never lived or even visited the location one is moving to. Home buying is a huge investment, both financially and emotionally.
As I said...the current happenings in America are disturbing and just one of many factors for me, that seriously cause me to think about making a move next year or so.
I think one of the singular factors...is the mostly sudden death of my DH. It was right afterwards that never so much in my life did I realize..how suddenly life can be gone. Live it while you have it!! And not the least to mention, I've always had this Gypsy thing about me. I thought maybe by now the wander-lust within me would have been quelled...it hasn't. Sometimes it's a blessing, sometimes it's a curse. But, I'm still alive, there is more I want to see and experience while I'm here. I still have some life in these ole bones and I want to live it the best I can! I still have hope.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I found this interesting....and seems this is an informative website on all things "Poole".
http://www.vrpoole.co.uk/poole-dorse.../poole_17.html

Scroll down a bit and you'll see the option to take several 360 degree virtual tours of Poole.

The 'Home' site also lists many, many Virtual Tours of many places in England. Might be helpful for those contemplating the move, but not sure where to go.

http://www.vrpoole.co.uk/index.html

Last edited by chriswinter; Apr 12th 2011 at 5:45 pm. Reason: to add
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I found this interesting....and seems this is an informative website on all things "Poole".
http://www.vrpoole.co.uk/poole-dorse.../poole_17.html

Scroll down a bit and you'll see the option to take several 360 degree virtual tours of Poole.

The 'Home' site also lists many, many Virtual Tours of many places in England. Might be helpful for those contemplating the move, but not sure where to go.

http://www.vrpoole.co.uk/index.html
Thanks so much ~ I am going to pass this to my Mum

Poor thing has moved so much in her life ,I hope she will be able to settle now !
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much ~ I am going to pass this to my Mum

Poor thing has moved so much in her life ,I hope she will be able to settle now !
Your Welcome, Gab. I would hate to actually count up all the moves I have made in my life since childhood. As an adult though, most moves were of my choosing. Today..I feel bad for my kids...now I regret that I couldn't shed that Gypsy thing...my dh was a Gypsy like me. Though my kids say that yes..they would have liked not to have moved so much, but at the same time they feel they are a little more 'worldly' then their cousins (my sibs kids)...who rarely ever moved. O! Well! To each their own...what a boring place it would be if we were all clones of each other..
BTW Gab...sure your Mum and I aren't related? I don't know who the other half of me is...maybe your Mum is my sister or cousin!? But that's another story..
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your Welcome, Gab. I would hate to actually count up all the moves I have made in my life since childhood. As an adult though, most moves were of my choosing. Today..I feel bad for my kids...now I regret that I couldn't shed that Gypsy thing...my dh was a Gypsy like me. Though my kids say that yes..they would have liked not to have moved so much, but at the same time they feel they are a little more 'worldly' then their cousins (my sibs kids)...who rarely ever moved. O! Well! To each their own...what a boring place it would be if we were all clones of each other..
BTW Gab...sure your Mum and I aren't related? I don't know who the other half of me is...maybe your Mum is my sister or cousin!? But that's another story..
her family originates from the Channel Islands if that is any help

Are you getting serious about moving back now ? ~I think I must have missed that post ?

It is so difficult to move sometimes ...now that more of this town are finding out we are off ,they are all bing very supportive and wishing we would stay

I know it has to be done though ...

I am feeling very grateful to my family in Dorset for being there for us .
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

her family originates from the Channel Islands if that is any help

Are you getting serious about moving back now ? ~I think I must have missed that post ?

It is so difficult to move sometimes ...now that more of this town are finding out we are off ,they are all bing very supportive and wishing we would stay

I know it has to be done though ...

I am feeling very grateful to my family in Dorset for being there for us.
Actually, I was 'serious' about it back in the fall of 2009. I was inquiring then directly with a realtor/letting firm in Sheffield. But decided that more than likely, that it was a knee-jerk reaction to my dh passing away...and it was. So is good I didn't do it back then. But I have had time now to process and I'm still processing..as are both of my sons, as well. So that in and of itself might make the choice/decision a little easier for me and them too.
Well your moving back to Dorset....looks like a great place to be with your family! Am sincerely wishing you and your family the smoothest of moves back home.

Don't know about the Channel Islands...any of your relatives carry the last name of Clark/e??
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Well today and yesterday have sucked. Last night we found out that our favorite cat had terminal cancer and only had days to live. He was in pain and there was nothing the vet could do for him, so we made the decision to put him to sleep this morning.

He was a brave little cat who was sick most of his life and yet who was filled with love. We brought him through lots of illnesses, but we couldn't help him through this one. We loved him with all our hearts and will miss him.

We stayed up late last night talking after we got the news and talk turned to moving home. My husband brought it up, and we had the first in-depth conversation we've had about it in months. He really does want to move, and that's when he told me he was rethinking his original plan to wait 5 or 6 years. We don't think we'll be financially ready to make the move until the end of next year, but who knows - we may change our minds again. The main thing is that we're on the same page now and I no longer feel I'm dragging him kicking and screaming.

So last night was a night I won't forget in a hurry. The worst news and the best news all at the same time. I can't be happy about the good news just yet but I know I will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.