Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Hi Rosie,
Funny... you must have missed my post a few days ago when I said Salisbury is one of the areas I am looking at. I've been there a few times and it has a very unique welcoming atmosphere. I love the old streets and that ancient feeling it has. Strong arts community too which is important to me.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Sally, I went through this with my cat a few years ago. She was not eating so I took her to the vet. She knew she was sick because she just crawled into the basket I took her in with no fuss. She had cancer of the jaw and must have been in terrible pain. It was such a hard thing to do. I felt a bit like a traitor even though there was no other choice and walked out of the vets office with an empty basket crying like a baby. Devastating. My heart goes out to you at such a sad time as this.

So happy for the good news re: hubby though. Funny how things work, taken away with one hand and given with the other.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks guys. It's hard to describe what a sweetheart he was. He was only 6lbs and yet he was the bravest of all the cats we've ever had. Never phased by visitors or workmen, not scared of the vacuum cleaner, and always brave about taking his medication or staying in the vet's which he's had to do a few times. I love all my pets, but I had a special bond with this one.
I'm sorry about your bittersweet times Sally, losing your dear cat on the one hand and your husband coming around on the other.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
I've never thought the North was without culture, having spent a lot of time in the North East due to family in Stoke. We always went North from there each year. Lots of trips to theatre, etc. I just didn't put Rodin and Liverpool together .
What about Liverpool and Rubens, El Greco, Monet, Pisarro, etc, etc...............

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/o...stsindex/?id=2
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:15 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's amazing how much they help.

Bee, which is the big new modern art gallery in Liverpool? I remember they were building it the last time I was there - shows how long ago that was.

It's really nice to hear from you about the city's renaissance because it went through some tough times while Manchester was revitalizing. My dad was a sales rep and traveled a lot and Liverpool was always his favorite place to go because he loved the people so much. He used to say he never laughed as much as when he was in Liverpool.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Another, sorry sold

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319226.html

OK this maybe too close to the main road but windsong will like that there a bus stop there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319025.html

OK, last one then I've got to get ready for my trip to California.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319037.html
Didn't look at the first one because it's sold.

I love either of the last two - beautiful gardens! The middle one is REALLY close to the bus stop - right across the road!! Love it!

The last one is a beautiful house! Haven't checked out the bus stops, though
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have come to realise how important light is to me. That is why I was looking for climate maps. Since sunlight is such an important source of vitamin D, I guess it's the South or vitamin D supplements for me.
I am a shameless Sassenack but would love to explore the North more, including Scotland which I have never visited... but in the summer.
Scotland is beautiful but even in summer when it's warmer you need to have a very light jacket or cardigan with you.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Didn't look at the first one because it's sold.
It's the best one - really lovely and 4 bedrooms for £250K. But it's not any any mainline railways so that's probably why.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:46 pm
Finally Home!

Re Vitamin D, it's my understanding that nowhere in the UK gets enough sun to go without supplements. They say even the north of the US isn't sunny enough.

I will definitely need supplements in the UK because I need them here. Last year I became wracked with pain and had tons of tests with no results until the doctor tested my vitamin D levels and found I was really deficient. Once I supplemented, the pain went away. It was like magic!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's the best one - really lovely and 4 bedrooms for £250K. But it's not any any mainline railways so that's probably why.
You're right, Sally. It's beautiful! Just look at the view from the upstairs window - fields of sheep. It's a lovely quality house inside.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What about Liverpool and Rubens, El Greco, Monet, Pisarro, etc, etc...............

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/o...stsindex/?id=2
I am now seeing Liverpool through new eyes , and consider myself duly corrected. It is wonderful to see.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re Vitamin D, it's my understanding that nowhere in the UK gets enough sun to go without supplements. They say even the north of the US isn't sunny enough.

I will definitely need supplements in the UK because I need them here. Last year I became wracked with pain and had tons of tests with no results until the doctor tested my vitamin D levels and found I was really deficient. Once I supplemented, the pain went away. It was like magic!
Did you take a look at that climate map I posted, Sally? There are places that get a heck of a lot of sunshine there but you're right, I shall probably need supplements. I always used to take supplements and then stopped for years. Have just started again and now don't understand why I stopped. Feel so much better.
Where I live gets no direct sunlight from November to February and I find that really hard to take. BC has very wet and dreary winters then drought in the summer. I have said it before and I'll say it again: I'm glad the UK gets showers through the year. This is so much better than drought.
I shall be very careful to pick a house in the UK that gets a lot of light which can especially be an issue with period cottages.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Last year I became wracked with pain and had tons of tests with no results until the doctor tested my vitamin D levels and found I was really deficient. Once I supplemented, the pain went away. It was like magic!
Sally...thanks so very much for this Health Tip!! I always attribute my muscle pain, unexplained pains here and there that dog me each and every day..to my lack of a thyroid. I take my Synthroid every day, but still have thought..nothing like having the real deal..thyroid firmly in place. Am going to look in my medicine cabinet if I have Vitamin D tablets..god knows I must have everything else. And if I don't I'm off to Walgreen's to get a supply and give it a good try. Thanks again..every little bit helps.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Scotland is beautiful but even in summer when it's warmer you need to have a very light jacket or cardigan with you.
I shall be sure to take my cardie .

One of the reasons I am moving back to the UK is because I miss the open meadows and deciduous trees... no leaves in winter when you need the light, leaves in summer when you need the shade.
One of the things we have ALOT of in BC is trees. Never thought I would say this but I am sick of firs and cedars. A great resource yes but they are so tall and dominating. In Cheers last property links there was one property with a pine and I just felt like cutting it down ... I know, shame on me , and I love all plants. Just had enough of the tall, tall trees.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's amazing how much they help.

Bee, which is the big new modern art gallery in Liverpool? I remember they were building it the last time I was there - shows how long ago that was.

It's really nice to hear from you about the city's renaissance because it went through some tough times while Manchester was revitalizing. My dad was a sales rep and traveled a lot and Liverpool was always his favorite place to go because he loved the people so much. He used to say he never laughed as much as when he was in Liverpool.
Sally, that would be The Tate Gallery in the Albert Dock, thats where Linda went to see her Rodins.

Yes the city has certainly undergone some amazing changes, and not before time too.

I can remember when it was pretty run down in the 1980's and being so sad when I visited from Australia, now it is more livelier than ever and just lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.