Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I blame the NEXT directory catalog for that

For a while, all you could buy were pictures of massive flowers , it suggested/advertised one bought them in in fours ...can't really the poor consumer
I have been really bemused at the decorating of places on Rightmove. Is Dusty Rose suddenly the National colour? I can't believe how many places have pink carpet, pink walls, pink bathrooms . And I have seen lots of WILD colours on walls. I don't really care what's on the walls because it is so easy to change and probably negatively affects the saleability, which helps from the buyer's side. It is all very mind-boggling though.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Don't you just hate wallpaper with huge flowers! I've watched that show, "60-Minute Makeover" on the ITV iPlayer and that's been ALL they've used in the bedrooms in the three shows I have watched. The designer actually brags about it because it is "reflective"/shiny and lets more light in from the window.

I remember they used to have those home shopping catalogs. I wonder if they still do or if it is all online now - probably online.

I also wonder if styles are different in the UK than in the USA, i.e. furniture, kitchens, decorating, etc.
I used to watch those decorating shows and they were fun but now it seems that they create something so sterile. I have to wonder if there are companies sponsoring these shows, paying for advertising of their products, now. I wouldn't be surprised. There's big money in it. Even to get a mention of say Starbucks on a show they pay big $.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I used to watch those decorating shows and they were fun but now it seems that they create something so sterile. I have to wonder if there are companies sponsoring these shows, paying for advertising of their products, now. I wouldn't be surprised. There's big money in it. Even to get a mention of say Starbucks on a show they pay big $.
I would personally not like it if this "Sixty-Minute Makeover" show decorated my home. Their work is absolutely appalling. Wallpaper not even fully glued to the wall and bubbling. Bubbles in kitchen flooring, paint all over traditional beams. It's disgraceful - but I suppose what can you expect in one hour. The show is ridiculous really.

I watch it merely to see the insides of UK homes - anything for a glimpse of the UK! Plus, seeing the insides of people's homes and the areas in which they live helps somewhat in deciding what area to go to and what areas to stay away from. You can't really generalize, though, because some of the people who are in these shows are down on their luck at the time.

Of course, I might be in the same boat - if I ever get there!

Last edited by windsong; Apr 10th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all here stateside can watch the new first episode of Upstairs, Downstairs series on Masterpiece Theater tonight. Keep a watch for it.
You can see how "Rosie" has aged since the original series. She is the only one in the cast from the old series and a lot of the original cast have past away.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would personally not like it if this "Sixty-Minute Makeover" show decorated my home. Their work is absolutely appalling. Wallpaper not even fully glued to the wall and bubbling. Bubbles in kitchen flooring, paint all over traditional beams. It's disgraceful - but I suppose what can you expect in one hour. The show is ridiculous really.

I watch it merely to see the insides of UK homes - anything for a glimpse of the UK! Plus, seeing the insides of people's homes and the areas in which they live helps somewhat in deciding what area to go to and what areas to stay away from. You can't really generalize, though, because some of the people who are in these shows are down on their luck at the time.

Of course, I might be in the same boat - if I ever get there!
Yes, it's hard to do too much of a makeover in 60 minutes!
I would watch too for the same reasons but I still haven't got iplayer running on my computer.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's hard to do too much of a makeover in 60 minutes!
I would watch too for the same reasons but I still haven't got iplayer running on my computer.
Linda, did you find Expat Shield online? It's free. And Hide My IP for the Mac is free for one or two weeks and then something like $29US for a year.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
You mean Linda, right?
Excellent comeback, Cheers - now that you said it . . .
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda, did you find Expat Shield online? It's free. And Hide My IP for the Mac is free for one or two weeks and then something like $29US for a year.
I did and have spent hours with it. Won't fully install. I shut down my firewall, put security on minimum, changed some internet options ... won't fully install. Need some real techie help.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did and have spent hours with it. Won't fully install. I shut down my firewall, put security on minimum, changed some internet options ... won't fully install. Need some real techie help.
Gosh, I wish I could help but I don't use Expat Shield. Maybe there is a pro here who uses it who can help.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

PBS video: Visions of Wales

http://video.mpt.tv/video/1316904378/
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

PBS Video: Visions of England

http://video.mpt.tv/video/1316876510/
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't check the length of the videos I just posted but the PBS videos are customarily one hour long, so make a nice cup of tea, sit down and enjoy!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I did see a link to DFS on another thread here and was looking there yesterday. It's a sofa shop with very reasonable prices. I found sofas that look very much like the ones we got here at Pottery Barn although DFS is a lot cheaper. Here it is http://www.dfs.co.uk/. There's a lot I didn't like, but quite a few that I did.
Ive been in D.F.S. many times, its a great furniture shop, the sales at Christmas are awesome, Half Price Sofa's...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Lucky you. Last week I went into our local liquor store and guess what they had?.... Weston's Premium Organic Cider. Almost fell over. Of course a bottle went home with me.
Love London. Have a great time! Are you visiting family or on business?
Its a stunning city, I love it!! Visiting my best mate here for a few days, then off to bristol to see the family for a couple of weeks, then another burst of London on the way back to Australia.
Off to Seaford for the day today - visiting some long-neglected friends, just fab being on the train through the Suessx countryside. And I'm accompanied by a couple of cans of Weston's cider Went into M&S this morning (don't get jealous peeps ) and they are selling Weston's cider as their own brand stuff, inventively named just "cider"but it does say on the cans where its from!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just hate wallpaper with huge flowers! I've watched that show, "60-Minute Makeover" on the ITV iPlayer and that's been ALL they've used in the bedrooms in the three shows I have watched. The designer actually brags about it because it is "reflective"/shiny and lets more light in from the window.

I remember they used to have those home shopping catalogs. I wonder if they still do or if it is all online now - probably online.

I also wonder if styles are different in the UK than in the USA, i.e. furniture, kitchens, decorating, etc.
I just LOVE all the wallpapers you get over here, so much nicer and cosier and homier than plain bare walls which is the norm in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.