British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Feb 27th 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10570595)
I look forward to it, Rodney! I would love to see the Dickens Museum. Also want to visit Thomas Hardy's Dorset while I'm down that way. (Can you tell I was an English major?) :)

Yep sure can!!!! and me ----- well I didn't even pass my 11 plus :eek:

cheers Feb 27th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10573728)
I have no personal evidence but yes, my understanding is age is a factor when seeking employment in Britain. Of course, it depends on your skills and the job you seek. I think it would be important to match your abilities to the needs of an advertised job, find some synergy, take some recent training.

It is still generally expected that people retire at coming of age, even though the law recently changed so that companies now cannot force someone out at their retirement age. A few may work on longer but it seems the norm is that everyone is looking forward to retiring, not to keep on working.

Large store checkouts seem to be willing to give anyone a try, I see many older people there. B&Q has a policy to hire older workers.

Finding a job could be a long and tiring road as many newspaper stories attest.
But then not always, an older newcomer to my street got a job as a legal secretary (she has admin experience) after only a few weeks looking, and now she has split the job to part-time with someone else.
I think her strategy of chasing for jobs as soon as she moved into town worked for her and made her stand out amongst the long term local unemployed.

As for the story of high numbers of applicants for a coffee bar job, I wonder why so many are looking for the comfy warm low-skill regular-hours, fixed pay rate and benefits of employment with a established company? Are as many applying to be farm workers or cabbage pickers or flower packers? Maybe not, because immigrants seems to walk into those positions.

I talked to an older lady who was working at Walmart when I was shopping there a few days ago. She volunteered that she was 79. I thought wow! People can complain about Walmart, this is one good thing that they do right. No, she was not a greeter. They did away with those. She was stocking shelves.
In the US seniors medical supplemental insurance goes up a long with other costs so Seniors find they have to return to work to make ends meet. Good to know Walmart is an option at $8.40 an hour.
Again in the US, this labour pool of immigrants will dry up fast when they get a permanent status to work here. They will find a more desirable type of work.

cheers Feb 27th 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10573884)

There was a different view of school back then and I'm guessing that only about 10% of the youth went on to college because they passed the 11 plus exam.

Note: What they call high school in the US they called it college in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:
I didn't pass the 11 plus back then but I was able to attend the university in the US and I graduated with high honors to boot.
Cheers

Perth Feb 27th 2013 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10573884)

Oh who cares? You couldn't be a more lovely man. That's much more important :) And my college education did naught for me. I ended up doing something completely different - as English majors usually do :rofl:

cheers Feb 27th 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10573923)
Oh who cares? You couldn't be a more lovely man. That's much more important :) And my college education did naught for me. I ended up doing something completely different - as English majors usually do :rofl:

I wish you could correct my grammar on my posts. I keep looking and I remember a rule something like ....not ending a sentence with a preposition 'with'

Sally Redux Feb 27th 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10573958)
I wish you could correct my grammar on my posts. I keep looking and I remember a rule something like ....not ending a sentence with a preposition 'with'

"That is a rule up with which I will not put." ~ attributed to Churchill ;)

Perth Feb 27th 2013 8:41 pm

There are some you can end with (such as the last sentence) :lol: But, I shall keep my eye open for any violations against the English language, and forthwith rap you on the knuckles with a ruler if I see any :rofl:

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10573971)

One of my favourites! :D

Karrie72 Feb 27th 2013 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10573971)

Good old Churchill...

windsong Feb 28th 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10573728)
I have no personal evidence but yes, my understanding is age is a factor when seeking employment in Britain. Of course, it depends on your skills and the job you seek. I think it would be important to match your abilities to the needs of an advertised job, find some synergy, take some recent training.

It is still generally expected that people retire at coming of age, even though the law recently changed so that companies now cannot force someone out at their retirement age. A few may work on longer but it seems the norm is that everyone is looking forward to retiring, not to keep on working.

Large store checkouts seem to be willing to give anyone a try, I see many older people there. B&Q has a policy to hire older workers.

Finding a job could be a long and tiring road as many newspaper stories attest.
But then not always, an older newcomer to my street got a job as a legal secretary (she has admin experience) after only a few weeks looking, and now she has split the job to part-time with someone else.
I think her strategy of chasing for jobs as soon as she moved into town worked for her and made her stand out amongst the long term local unemployed.

As for the story of high numbers of applicants for a coffee bar job, I wonder why so many are looking for the comfy warm low-skill regular-hours, fixed pay rate and benefits of employment with a established company? Are as many applying to be farm workers or cabbage pickers or flower packers? Maybe not, because immigrants seems to walk into those positions.

Thank you. It's good to know what to expect - forewarned is forearmed. I don't know what the retirement age is over there these days but I expect to stop full-time work at 65 but, having said that, even when I am unemployed now I get fed up after being home for more than a week. I also want to work to keep my brain active as I get older but perhaps the business I have started will turn into something that will suffice in this respect. It is too soon to say yet. If it is "really" successful, then I can keep my brain active by traveling :) Seriously, though, no matter what age we retire from work, you never know what will happen and it is nice to be able to pick up a part-time job if necessary.

It will be a while before I move back but this knowledge is always useful so I can at least strategize.

windsong Feb 28th 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10573917)
There was a different view of school back then and I'm guessing that only about 10% of the youth went on to college because they passed the 11 plus exam.

Note: What they call high school in the US they called it college in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:
I didn't pass the 11 plus back then but I was able to attend the university in the US and I graduated with high honors to boot.
Cheers

Now I think it is the opposite. The standard of education in the UK is superior to the USA (in general) - at least it used to be - so college in the USA is similar to high school in the UK (meaning standards are lower in the USA). I don't know if this holds true today but, having been a teacher (department head) in the UK and teacher and lecturer in the USA, I always found this to be the case. That was a few years ago now, though.

windsong Feb 28th 2013 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10572086)
[/B]

Apparently, Amazon Prime is offering a free trial right now also (they don't do it very often so grab it while you can).

Thank you :)

rebs Feb 28th 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10575422)
T I don't know what the retirement age is over there these days but I expect to stop full-time work at 65 but, having said that, even when I am unemployed now I get fed up after being home for more than a week.

The best way to keep track of the retirement ages in the UK is to use the online calculators on the www.gov.uk website:-

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

windsong Feb 28th 2013 2:39 pm

That's correct. I try not to do it but sometimes I am just too tired and leave it - if it is here in the forum. If I were writing a business document or article draft, I would certainly correct it :)

windsong Feb 28th 2013 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10575437)
The best way to keep track of the retirement ages in the UK is to use the online calculators on the www.gov.uk website:-

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

Thank you. I really do need to visit these calculators :)

Perth Feb 28th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10575422)
Thank you. It's good to know what to expect - forewarned is forearmed. I don't know what the retirement age is over there these days but I expect to stop full-time work at 65 but, having said that, even when I am unemployed now I get fed up after being home for more than a week. I also want to work to keep my brain active as I get older but perhaps the business I have started will turn into something that will suffice in this respect. It is too soon to say yet. If it is "really" successful, then I can keep my brain active by traveling :) Seriously, though, no matter what age we retire from work, you never know what will happen and it is nice to be able to pick up a part-time job if necessary.

It will be a while before I move back but this knowledge is always useful so I can at least strategize.

Depending on how old you are now, 65 may not be your UK retirement age. At 55 I will be officially recognised as a UK pensioner at 66. Check that calculator. In the US it appears I will have to be 67 to get my full SS and even medicare :frown: