British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Feb 19th 2013 1:26 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10552092)
me too :starsmile:

Me too....after the reality that is setting in re divorce last month (second time around).......I am broken in spirit, scared and terrified that someone will add another criticism of me.

windsong Feb 19th 2013 1:32 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10553629)
One further comment... I do think daily chit chat may not attract the older folks thinking of going home unless they they were part of the forum a few years ago.

My update on the NON-returning Ex-Pat for the time being:)

I am suppose to get in touch with the international shippers and ask them to re-direct our goods to the new address. I am having a hard time doing it and have put it off for over a week I keep waiting for a miracle to happen.

I was thinking about the difference between how life is lived in a village in England and try and compare it to one in the US. My friend who lives outside of Chester in a village doesnt seem to join in many activities in the village but she is in a choir but does travel a long way to choir practice she is on a bowling team (little bowls) but thats about it.

My friend down South in Dorset lives a very different life she lives in a village that is very active and they have Christmas lunches and a pub quiz once every few weeks. They get together to take their dogs for walks have get togethers. The magazines she sent me "Blackmore Vale Magazine" has lots of information about the towns in the area and local goings on at all times of the year.

My embroidery magazines from the UK gives lists of places to go and visit and places where they have classes and many types of interesting things to do. The point is that its so easy in the UK to get to places of interest and being over 60 you can get on a bus and go anywhere.

On BBC Antiques today two rings were brought in for valuation. One was found in farmers field by a man who had one of those metal detectors the other one was found in an old ladies jewel box wrapped in cotton wool and placed in a match box. Both rings were very valuable the ring found in the farmers field was from the 14th century and probably belonged to the lady of the manor the other one was from the 15th century. Now were else could you find such History right on your doorstep. Years ago my friend who lived in Blacon outside Chester was digging in the garden and came across a Roman Coin. Imagine all the History. I just love it. No matter where you live in Britain their is so much History not just 200 years but thousands of years.

I will get back to you on village life in the US once we move. Having lived in a small Town in the US for nearly 20 years I didnt find any such interesting History as in the UK. And if I did it was always History against the British:ohmy: We lived near an area where the British soldiers fought and and died I always felt a pang of sorrow for them that they died so far from home although they did win the battle on that day. Here is an account of it.

http://www.rhodeislandsar.org/battleri.htm

Trotty, did you decide to go home to the UK? I thought you had decided to stay here in the USA for a while.

I have watched a few programs in which those metal detectors have found the most interesting things!!! Who would ever imagine that you could find something from centuries ago! I find it fascinating!

It's interesting that you talk about different activities bringing together the people in the village. It's "community". It's the same thing that has made this thread the largest in the UK forum, if not the entire British Expats site. It's also what we miss the most about our home country, I think. We talk about isolation quite a bit in the threads - the opposite of community. Interesting . . .

windsong Feb 19th 2013 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10553640)
Me too....after the reality that is setting in re divorce last month (second time around).......I am broken in spirit, scared and terrified that someone will add another criticism of me.

Having been through it once, I can honestly say divorce is a life changer, at least it was for me. My self-esteem was lower than I ever thought it could be and I felt a huge hole inside. But you were born "perfectly whole" :) and you will be again. You will heal gradually. Grief will come in waves and will ease slowly. Surround yourself with good friends - and pets if you have them because they give unconditional love. I also surrounded myself with hobbies I really enjoyed because doing this nurtured me somehow.

One day you will wake up in the morning and you will feel joy because it is the beginning of a brand new day. It will happen :starsmile:

cheers Feb 19th 2013 2:33 am

Bluntly..don't affect my security, keep the same name;)
Trotty I notice most of returnees have settle in Devon more than any other place.
Please note Islandwoman left Frome... To live in Dawlish Devon.
I don't know why they don't have a reunion down there.
Aries, easterner, Islandwoman to name a few are down there. High tide is in Devon also.
Feel free to correct me.
Cheers

trottytrue Feb 19th 2013 2:38 am

Windsong...No I am still in the US not sure for how long but for the timebeing. My OH is not well so I had to make a decision and that was to stay here. I get Antiques UK on our cable network.I might be the oldest returning Ex-Pat 80.....

windsong Feb 19th 2013 2:40 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10553694)
Bluntly..don't affect my security, keep the same name;)
Trotty I notice most of returnees have settle in Dawlish more than any other place.
Please note Islandwoman left ?Frome... To live in Dawlish.
I don't know why they don't have a reunion down there.
Aries, easterner, Islandwoman to name a few are down there.
Feel free to correct me.
Cheers

I need to look on a map to find out where Dawlish is and why they find it so attractive ;)

windsong Feb 19th 2013 2:45 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10553703)
Windsong...No I am still in the US not sure for how long but for the timebeing. My OH is not well so I had to make a decision and that was to stay here. I get Antiques UK on our cable network.I might be the oldest returning Ex-Pat 80.....

Trotty, that British antiques show is terrific!!! I used to watch it a lot and will do so again. Often when I watch it, I am reminded of things we had to leave behind to come to the USA - antiques, ornaments, china, etc. Nevertheless, it's a great show to watch.

Trotty, I think making the decision to stay there for a while, even though it is not what your heart desires, will bring you some peace. I am having to do the same thing, although for different reasons. There have been times in my life when I have fought and fought and fought to try to do something, only to have it fail. I'd immediately take another direction to try to achieve my goal only to have that fail as well. I do believe that things will happen if they are meant to happen and sometimes all the struggling and forcing of things doesn't help. It also takes too much energy from us and we end up confused. After all, a decision can always be changed ;)

fulwood Feb 19th 2013 5:38 am

I am up late and just read the wonderful Richard Briers has passed away. Another of the good ones has gone..

between two worlds Feb 19th 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10553417)
On the subject of the thread name, I don't see any point in tinkering with it. But if people want to then I am not to say otherwise. What's in a name.

I don't see a problem that this thread goes quiet from time to time. It's not a competition to be constant top thread.

The thread grew when there was a common need and has declined when the needs are fulfilled here or elsewhere.
Dw and I joined in prior to moving back when our challenges were similar to those of others that posted in the thread. It was in this thread that I found most answers.
Over time the regular posters have become virtual friends that I can still turn to in need or when I can offer answers.
It is the only thread to which I always check.
I know more people here in this thread than I know in real life (how sad is that) and can be open and honest more so here than with anyone else (maybe even sadder)

I scan the forum list of other threads and look at any that I may be able to input help to potential returnees. I rarely engage in any of the general discussion subjects. I don't discuss much in BE, I'm here for moving back issues rather than to chat, although I browse through most days.

Mind you, when I'm feeling low I find that coming to the Over.... thread amongst folks I know and making a couple postings does brighten my mood.

Thanks J. I agree there's a natural fluctuation that occurs and it's not a contest to be top thread. I just thought the "chit-chat" name might put new people off.

Now trotty has agreed this could be the case, plus windsong and I think a couple of others.

between two worlds Feb 19th 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10553617)
Trotty, that's truly a wonderful list! It's good to see that so many people made it home :)

I wonder if we need TWO threads:

1 -British Expats Community
2 - 40+ (or 50s and 60s)

It's true that those close to retirement or already in it may have different viewpoints and are certainly at a stage in life when there may be issues that arise that don't affect those who are younger.

I also think the community aspect is very important as the current 50s and 60s thread has shown.

Although, I have suggested two threads instead of one, I am wondering if the community talk would still tend to take place in the 50s and 60s thread rather than in the community thread. If so, then perhaps it is simply that the older people enjoy the sense of community but not so much the younger ones, except for the odd few perhaps.

Not sure this is a solution . . . just a suggestion.

Hi windsong, I personally think this would return us to the two-thread confusion of before. The whole BE forum is an expat community, seems to me, with many different threads. Our particular one is for older people with their particular problems.
And maybe you're right that web have more desire for community, too!

lf1 Feb 19th 2013 6:58 am

At the time, I didn't understand why the original thread was closed by the mods. I know it had been a bit slower than previously, but some threads ebb and flow naturally and suddenly spring back to life.

I don't suppose there is anything to stop anybody starting a new thread with a similar aim. As some have mentioned, the 50,s 60's title may be off putting for some, it wasn't for me as I was a longtime "underage" lurker and then participant. Perhaps a title that is less specific may encourage others to drop in, here are a couple that could be refined.

Older expats wanting to return home

Been away a long time and want to move back

Or, as some have already suggested add 40's to the title.

between two worlds Feb 19th 2013 7:01 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10553629)
One further comment... I do think daily chit chat may not attract the older folks thinking of going home unless they they were part of the forum a few years ago.

Hi Trotty, great to hear from you. Love your updates but at this moment just sticking to the thread name issue.

What you say here is exactly what I think.

Also what you said in your earlier post, that we older folks have different issues.

Moderator Pollyana is looking into it.

My current suggestion to her is:

Over 40s, 50s, & 60s Moving Back and Catch-Up

Rodney, if we add "over 40s", no-one will think it's a reappearance of the old thread. So I think now there's no need to add "New" as you suggested? Plus we want to make it clear it's still the same community.

Anyone with strong objections should speak up now! I'm not the boss of the thread--just made a suggestion that, so far, several have agreed with. Others say they don't see a strong need to change, but they don't mind.

To summarise:
The current name with "chit-chat" in may put off newcomers who want to discuss serious concerns.
We don't want to put anyone off! But want to keep our sense of community, and our emphasis on the issues of older returnees.
Pollyana is looking into changing the name.
I currently suggest:
Over 40s,50s, & 60s Moving Back and Catch-Up

lf1 Feb 19th 2013 7:13 am

Trotty,

I think your description of village life is a good one. Yesterday, a local electrician was in doing some work in our house. He asked me how I was enjoying village life and I was telling him that we can't believe how busy we have been socially, e.g. choir, Panto , pub quiz, walking group and general get togethers. He said that it was good that we were getting involved as some people move into the village, don't participate and then move away saying there is nothing to do.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with people's interests. I love the choir, but one of the locals asked me why I would join the choir as "it is so boring", just a different perspective. Many, people love football, to me that is like watching paint dry.:lol:

I am looking forward to hearing about village life in the US. I can't remember if I have said this before, but thank you for starting the original thread. It has helped so many people.:)

dontheturner Feb 19th 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10553280)
Yes Jerseygirl, exactly--as dunroving also said, the thread has always been aimed at the particular needs of older returnees.

Thanks for joining in--another moderator whose name I know so well--but, sorry, couldn't recall when wanting to write to someone about the idea of a name change!

I am fine with having 50s and 60s, or 40 plus, or some other vaguer phrase, to reflect this older demographic, in the name.

It's the "chit-chat, catch-up" bit in the name that I'd like to get rid of.

And then of course, there's the Over 80's!!!!!

dontheturner Feb 19th 2013 7:25 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10553703)

Really Avril??? You jest! When you get here, (eventually,) you come acalling! I need to see a sprightly older!