British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

between two worlds Feb 19th 2013 6:27 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10555203)
Gosh I'm getting lost. :unsure: As this thread has got over 6K posts what about closing the thread...open a new thread with the new name? Then put a link to this thread in the first post and a bit of blurb explaining why a new thread was opened.

I'd be OK with this if mods deem it necessary ...AS LONG AS it's absolutely clear it's the same thread/community, just continuing with a "new name..." which as I keep saying isn't as "new" as all that, the proposed new name is closer to our original name and to the thread's original intent.

dunroving Feb 19th 2013 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10555203)
Gosh I'm getting lost. :unsure: As this thread has got over 6K posts what about closing the thread...open a new thread with the new name? Then put a link to this thread in the first post and a bit of blurb explaining why a new thread was opened.

Actually, I vaguely recall that the original thread was closed and then re-opened (?) as a new thread, maybe because people were finding the thread was too long (????) I do remember being miffed because I wanted to see the number of "views" reach a million!! And then I think the chit-chat thread was created.

Yes! I just ran a Search, and here is the definitive list:

There was the original OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK thread started by Trotty, with 713,667 views:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&highlight=50

Then this was closed and re-opened as the OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II thread, with 894,020 views:

Then there was the "Chit-Chat thread" (this one), currently at 322,370 views.

TBH, I'm not particularly arsed what we do - whatever the decision is, I'll still come onto this thread (or whatever it becomes) and make rude "old fart" jokes.

between two worlds Feb 19th 2013 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10555257)
Actually, I vaguely recall that the original thread was closed and then re-opened (?) as a new thread, maybe because people were finding the thread was too long (????) I do remember being miffed because I wanted to see the number of "views" reach a million!! And then I think the chit-chat thread was created.

Yes! I just ran a Search, and here is the definitive list:

There was the original OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK thread started by Trotty, with 713,667 views:

Then this was closed and re-opened as the OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II thread, with 894,020 views:

Then there was the "Chit-Chat thread" (this one), currently at 322,370 views.

TBH, I'm not particularly arsed what we do - whatever the decision is, I'll still come onto this thread (or whatever it becomes) and make rude "old fart" jokes.

Interesting history, dunroving. Gosh, we have a lot to say, don't we?!

Glad you'll stick around, whatever!

lf1 Feb 19th 2013 8:54 pm

I'll track you lot down whatever name is decided upon. To be sure that we don't exclude any of the young uns why don't we call it "Over 18's only". That should generate a lot of hits, even if it is for the wrong reasons.:lol:

dunroving Feb 19th 2013 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10555513)
I'll track you lot down whatever name is decided upon. To be sure that we don't exclude any of the young uns why don't we call it "Over 18's only". That should generate a lot of hits, even if it is for the wrong reasons.:lol:

So, would that make it the "Adult" thread? Or am I confusing this with another Web site?

lf1 Feb 19th 2013 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10555533)
So, would that make it the "Adult" thread? Or am I confusing this with another Web site?

Given your age, you are probably confused :lol:

jasper123 Feb 19th 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10554935)
That's OK, if it was anyone but Rodney I'd be mortally offended.

:) :) ;)

lf1 Feb 19th 2013 9:23 pm

One of the shows that we have been enjoying, since being back, is "Great British Railway Journeys" with Michael Portillo. It is a little bit like "Coast" on rails. He travels throughout Britain on the train and shares all sorts of interesting information and the scenery is great.

I thought I would mention it for those that are overseas and may like to pick it up on their computer.

jasper123 Feb 19th 2013 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10554958)
Rodders, I heard she was looking for a new man in her life - you could always propose to her and be surrounded by her 11 kids. :rofl:

I like kids, as long as there someone elses, and Im not around them for more then an hour ----- and as long as I can just leave them and go home when Ive had enough :D ;)

windsong Feb 19th 2013 9:33 pm

Well, the other day I realized the ITV iPlayer is beginning to charge for some programs. Today it seems that the BBC iPlayer is making a change, too. I tried to watch some shows I usually watch (Escape to the Country, for example) and it only lets me hear it through the BBC radio. Has anyone else noticed this - or am I doing something wrong?

windsong Feb 19th 2013 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10555562)
One of the shows that we have been enjoying, since being back, is "Great British Railway Journeys" with Michael Portillo. It is a little bit like "Coast" on rails. He travels throughout Britain on the train and shares all sorts of interesting information and the scenery is great.

I thought I would mention it for those that are overseas and may like to pick it up on their computer.

LOVE that show. I can't tell you how many YouTube videos I have watched of the trains going all over England ;)

windsong Feb 19th 2013 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10555588)
Well, the other day I realized the ITV iPlayer is beginning to charge for some programs. Today it seems that the BBC iPlayer is making a change, too. I tried to watch some shows I usually watch (Escape to the Country, for example) and it only lets me hear it through the BBC radio. Has anyone else noticed this - or am I doing something wrong?

It really seems the BBC has got wise and allows catch-ups by radio only if you are outside the UK. I use Firefox and I downloaded an IP proxy (called "Hide My Ass" - a Firefox extension) to use a UK IP. Now I can view the TV programs.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 19th 2013 11:13 pm

Did you know you can watch full episodes of Escape to the country on You tube.

windsong Feb 19th 2013 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10555738)
Did you know you can watch full episodes of Escape to the country on You tube.

No I didn't - well not exactly. I know there are many TV programs on YouTube but I thought they all had a time limit of about 10 minutes per video. I will have to look and see :)

shelley748 Feb 19th 2013 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10554054)
I totally agree with You and John.

The thread was doing perfectly well and then because we have a slow day some people want to change the name, a slow day or weekend is nothing new, it happens, has it ever occurred to you that old posters wont be able to find us should they come looking.

I agree- it was bad enough the first thread being closed......