British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Bevm Feb 18th 2013 12:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10549643)
"Reverse Mortgage" is more often known as "Equity Release" in the UKofGB&NI. Quite a few of my generation are into it, as a way of financing their profligate lifestyles !

Not always profligate.

I knew a couple who were in very difficult circumstances, only just getting by on a small income, but owning their home, which had become worth quite a bit. They didn't want to move out of it. When they got a reverse mortgage they began to get pleasure from life again.

They bought a new car that was reliable instead of always breaking down, and could afford the petrol to go on little trips. They got a new TV instead of their ancient one, and cable for a better range of programs. They occasionally ate out and could afford better food to cook at home. Simple pleasures most people take for granted, and they were transformed. They had joy in life again.

Without the RM they'd have struggled on and eventually their children would have inherited. Where's the point in that, especially as the children weren't making any effort to make their parents' lives easier?

Bev

Karrie72 Feb 18th 2013 1:14 pm

Can I ask why it has to be for people in their 50's and 60's only? I'm in my forties and planning a move back and I'll bet there are lots of others my age who could benefit from this thread.

between two worlds Feb 18th 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10552484)
Can I ask why it has to be for people in their 50's and 60's only? I'm in my forties and planning a move back and I'll bet there are lots of others my age who could benefit from this thread.

Ah well that's a good question.

First of all, welcome! Of course you can join in here! And would benefit, I'm sure--it's not exclusive--anyone can come on, and there are several other posters here under fifty, I believe.

However, it was founded by trottytrue as a thread to discuss what it's like for this age group to consider moving back, often after decades, and to make the dream of going home come true even if much time has elapsed. Though I can't speak for her, I imagine she thought that other age groups were catered for with other threads in the "moving back" section, and that this age group has its own particular issues and challenges.

In my suggestion for the slightly altered new name, I just wanted to be true to the history, and to reflect that original, and very successful, thread, as well as the chit-chat thread it merged with. And also with that name everyone would still recognise it.

But it's up for discussion, of course....

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 18th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10552484)

Hello again Montfan, I remember you, its good to see you back.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 18th 2013 4:21 pm

I think the thread naturally slows when people are busy and subject matter fails to excite people, I used to post numerous times per day, now I hardly post at all.

The idea of a name change is fine with me, but I have to speak up and say I think the previous thread was closed because some new posters were not being helped and felt left out, we were BS-ing about anything we wished and not really focused on helping others who needed help Moving Back, some would say it was Clicky, that drives people away.

Maybe you should ask the Moderator why the Moving Back thread was closed, I think one reason was it was too long, the same will happen to this thread at some point.

Maybe HOPING TO MOVE BACK sounds good, that might stop the confusion with other titles, plus lets remember some members that post here want to go back but never will.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth, I'm easy peasy.

Karrie72 Feb 18th 2013 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10552734)
Hello again Montfan, I remember you, its good to see you back.

Hiya Fish, good to see you again too, I really like your idea of naming the thread 'Hoping to move back'. That way everyone feels included. For example I'm in my forties and have been in the states for two decades, a long time and so moving back feels like a massive hurdle. I really enjoy reading this thread but feel uncomfortable posting as I'm not in the correct age bracket. Maybe others feel the same..

I get that people of different ages face different challenges of course but I enjoy reading about everyones perspective regardless of age.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 18th 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10552838)
Hiya Fish, good to see you again too, I really like your idea of naming the thread 'Hoping to move back'. That way everyone feels included. For example I'm in my forties and have been in the states for two decades, a long time and so moving back feels like a massive hurdle. I really enjoy reading this thread but feel uncomfortable posting as I'm not in the correct age bracket. Maybe others feel the same..

I get that people of different ages face different challenges of course but I enjoy reading about everyones perspective regardless of age.

Thats a great point Montfan.

between two worlds Feb 18th 2013 4:50 pm

Yes, Hoping to Move Back is a great name too, but will people realise it's the same thread as before, with the same community?

When the Chit-chat thread appeared, I had no idea it was many of the same people that were previously on the original Moving Back thread; and as the Moving Back thread went quiet, I simply missed a whole bunch of conversation because I didn't know where everyone had gone!

So if we give it a name like Hoping to Move Back, it would have to have a note alongside the name saying "formerly the over 50s and 60s ...." or something.

Hope trottytrue weighs in with her opinion.

I don't know if Sue is still the right moderator for the thread, I'm not sure where to find out who's looking after which thread.

windsong Feb 18th 2013 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10552838)

That's a great name because it implies "community" and I think many people would like that. Or even "Over 50s and 60s - Hoping to Move Back".

PS: Why not call it "Over 40s - Hoping to Move back". That way it broadens the age group since we already have 40+ here anyway.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 18th 2013 4:59 pm

Just thinking out loud...

I'm wondering why we have to change anything, What does a name change hope to achieve, what is the goal? I thought everything was fine until yesterday, but what happened then isn't nothing new.

I think Montfan should join in anyway, age is no biggy to me, we've had under 50s before and there was never a problem.

between two worlds Feb 18th 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10552878)
Just thinking out loud...

I'm wondering why we have to change anything, What does a name change hope to achieve, what is the goal? I thought everything was fine until yesterday, but what happened then isn't nothing new.

I think Montfan should join in anyway, age is no biggy to me, we've had under 50s before and there was never a problem.

Of course Montfan and any other under-50 should join in anyway, and very welcome too as far as I'm concerned, and everyone else, I think--we've had plenty of under-50s before.

I've been thinking for a long time that this Chit-chat name isn't ideal, and doesn't convey what the thread has been and continues to be.

Then when windsong wondered why it is so quiet these days, i thought the thread name might put off newcomers. So that's why I suggested changing it to represent that it's a merger of the two earlier threads, and incorporates the original one, and it needn't just be for trivial chat but for serious questions, issues, exchanges etc.

Then windsong agreed that the name might be putting people off.

It was just a suggestion thrown out there, I don't know what if anything will come of it, I don't know if the moderators will want to or be able to change it; and of course if people don't want a change at all, they should say so.

Windsong's suggestion:

Over 40s hoping to move back

is a good one too.

Lorry1 Feb 18th 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10552871)
That's a great name because it implies "community" and I think many people would like that. Or even "Over 50s and 60s - Hoping to Move Back".

PS: Why not call it "Over 40s - Hoping to Move back". That way it broadens the age group since we already have 40+ here anyway.

Can I join - I'm 39!? :rofl:

windsong Feb 18th 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lorry1 (Post 10552965)
Can I join - I'm 39!? :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pollyana Feb 18th 2013 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10552195)

No, i don't know how to contact the moderators--will look around on the forum to see if I can find out how.

Anyone who wants to contact any of us just needs to send us a pm. The Mods for the UK forum are Sue (who is also the Admin for the whole of BE), myself and Iaink - names of Mods for each forum on the site are listed at the bottom of each forum.
Just really wanted to also let you all know that Sue is in the middle of moving house so may not answer as quickly as usual :)

dunroving Feb 18th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10552416)
Not always profligate.

I knew a couple who were in very difficult circumstances, only just getting by on a small income, but owning their home, which had become worth quite a bit. They didn't want to move out of it. When they got a reverse mortgage they began to get pleasure from life again.

They bought a new car that was reliable instead of always breaking down, and could afford the petrol to go on little trips. They got a new TV instead of their ancient one, and cable for a better range of programs. They occasionally ate out and could afford better food to cook at home. Simple pleasures most people take for granted, and they were transformed. They had joy in life again.

Without the RM they'd have struggled on and eventually their children would have inherited. Where's the point in that, especially as the children weren't making any effort to make their parents' lives easier?

Bev

Exactly - couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup: