Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Hello everyone,

We realised our dream and returned to the UK, we moved into a nice furnished 2 bed flat near Sutton, Surrey at the beginning of this month. We were very lucky indeed, it's a real home from home until our house in Italy sells. After 3 years on the market we did not want to wait any longer, we cannot rent it out as the rental value is too low. We plan to find jobs in the new year to help with the bills, a bit daunting at the ages of 62 and 74 but here at least it is feasible unlike Italy. So far we are loving it, lots of letter writing and form filling to notify change of address and apply for bus passes and Private Hire Driver licence (which my husband wants to do). I will register with a temp agency for admin support work soon. Please ask away if we can be of any help with details of daily life. Kindest regards to all and an early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Pat
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I Love the interior of that Bungalow, its what Id like to call home, I love the lounge, kitchen and grey bathroom, (Im a grey person) the price is a bit steep for my blood, I wouldnt need all those extra over 55 facilities, I'm sure something similar could be had for much less with no monthly housing association fee's... Thanks for posting...
Don't forget, with these properties, the fees will usually include insurance for the building and maintenance for the property fixtures etc, you would normally only have to pay contents insurance, and in some of these places the fees also include water, and many have a laundry room included, so no cost for washing and drying. You can get apartments for much less, even down here a one bedroom apartment is only 65-70,000.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget, with these properties, the fees will usually include insurance for the building and maintenance for the property fixtures etc, you would normally only have to pay contents insurance, and in some of these places the fees also include water, and many have a laundry room included, so no cost for washing and drying. You can get apartments for much less, even down here a one bedroom apartment is only 65-70,000.
I agree that you have to watch out for community maintence fees which can be high.
There are some converted mansions that if you buy a converted flat they can sock you for major repairs, like a new roof, so people should be aware of that.
The price for that bungalow seems a little high but it is specked out nice.
Another problem with a property like this is that if you passed on your children couldn't take possession because of the age restriction.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

US healthcare.

How about someone we know of who has a bad kidney. He was let go, at work, because of attendance Just what he needed, right. End of health insurance. He needs a new kidney and this would be his second one and he is only in his 30's. Financially they are living on a financial settlement from his previous employer because they fired him because of health related reasons which is apparently illegal.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is thank God for Nye Bevan and the NHS
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Anyone know anything about mobile home retirement parks? Before we decided to return to the UK we considered going out to Arizona where it is common to retire to a mobile home park since there is no severe weather, such as the hurricanes here in Florida. They seem to be competitively priced compared to a standard home, but not sure how warm they would be, although many are advertised as having double glazing.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
Hello everyone,

We realised our dream and returned to the UK, we moved into a nice furnished 2 bed flat near Sutton, Surrey at the beginning of this month. We were very lucky indeed, it's a real home from home until our house in Italy sells. After 3 years on the market we did not want to wait any longer, we cannot rent it out as the rental value is too low. We plan to find jobs in the new year to help with the bills, a bit daunting at the ages of 62 and 74 but here at least it is feasible unlike Italy. So far we are loving it, lots of letter writing and form filling to notify change of address and apply for bus passes and Private Hire Driver licence (which my husband wants to do). I will register with a temp agency for admin support work soon. Please ask away if we can be of any help with details of daily life. Kindest regards to all and an early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Pat
Pat, hoping to sign up with a temp agency myself, so would appreciate any tips and experiences you may have. Have worked for the last 15 years with my husband in our small biz doing some of the office work, but as we start to wind down, I will be looking at temping here in the US for the last 3 years (to keep current as well as earn a little extra money for the trip...hubby pays me a pittance
Old Dec 13th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not everything is cheaper in the UK, I see they are paying £1.90 postage to send Christmas cards to the US.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
US healthcare.

How about someone we know of who has a bad kidney. He was let go, at work, because of attendance Just what he needed, right. End of health insurance. He needs a new kidney and this would be his second one and he is only in his 30's. Financially they are living on a financial settlement from his previous employer because they fired him because of health related reasons which is apparently illegal.
There has to be thousands of people in this same situation every day in America.

As many of you will know this is my major disappointment with the U.S.A. I just think its wrong to treat people this way, Cheers, the man you know got lucky, he has some money, at least while it lasts, Its wrong that a person has to sue in order to pay his bills and its wrong in so many ways that he should have this financial worry especially when he is sick, what if he hadn't won his lawsuit, what then?.

We all need healthcare just like we need food and water, its a basic necessity.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
All I can say is thank God for Nye Bevan and the NHS
I second that, without Nye Bevan the UK might be stuck with our type of health system.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I encourage any of you Downton Abbey fans with a sense of humor to look for Thursday nights edition of the Colbert Report, I wont spoil it for anyone, but I will tell you it was a special put together for Colbert, as I said before you will need a sense of humor, I thought it was Brilliant...
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Anyone know anything about mobile home retirement parks? Before we decided to return to the UK we considered going out to Arizona where it is common to retire to a mobile home park since there is no severe weather, such as the hurricanes here in Florida. They seem to be competitively priced compared to a standard home, but not sure how warm they would be, although many are advertised as having double glazing.
Here is an article in my local paper today about mobile homes
http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/community/...hows-1-4581341
We lived in a rented caravan for a while when we first got back, in summer, and it was stinking hot inside - which doesn't bode well for snugness in winter.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 10:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Plenty of mobile homes for sale round here, prices from 65 - 115,000, but you can't get a mortgage to buy one. so has to be cash sale or a bank loan. They are usually very well insulated, and easy to keep warm.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 10:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised at how inexpensive the properties are in general in the Morecambe and Lancs area
I'd be careful about the Morecambe area. It's really quite deprived these days and might be quite depressing to visit as the nearest town. I do like the Lancaster area.

I encourage any of you Downton Abbey fans with a sense of humor to look for Thursday nights edition of the Colbert Report, I wont spoil it for anyone, but I will tell you it was a special put together for Colbert, as I said before you will need a sense of humor, I thought it was Brilliant...
Damn, I just tried to watch this and the Colbert Show is blocked here. Even Tunnelbear doesn't help - they seem to have figured out a way to block proxys.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 14th 2012 at 10:51 am.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"A Gated Retirement Community for the Over-55s" ?

That sounds to me like a euphemism for a ghetto for pensioners !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.