Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thats a bit weird Pauline, I dont care for that at all.

I'm more with Jerseygirls way of thinking.

isnt everything in the Hallmark store Made in China.

Bahhhh Humbug Me. I was only commenting on Paulines post then I got all sour... Even so next year I will look for a American made card and not in the bloody hallmark store.
Ya, even most of the Hallmark presentations on TV are made in the United Kingdom
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So where is my mam when I need her? I need my English style Christmas cake complete with hard icing and marzipan enclosing the fruit cake. Then I want some trifle and mince pies and a coal fire in the fireplace. Of course I also want to look outside and see snow. Are, am I dreaming? Wot went wrong?

Merry Christmas to all of you on Rovers Return

Cheers
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Downton Abbey is falling apart and I think the reason is money. American NBC which owns the production company that makes the series maybe not compensating the cast enough money. Dan Stevens is said to be leaving.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360346/360346
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Downton Abbey is falling apart and I think the reason is money. American NBC which owns the production company that makes the series maybe not compensating the cast enough money. Dan Stevens is said to be leaving.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360346/360346
I read a month or so ago that the reason he was leaving was because Hollywood was beckoning.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas used to be for kids and I suppose it still is, but here in the USA its more about selling people more crap and especially cheap crap made in China, You name it, its imported from China, Christmas has gone by the wayside ever since I stepped on American soil, no week off, back to work Christmas Day night or Boxing day, and no great parties.

It also really bugs the hell out of me that it costs $7 for a Wife card, one that is Made in China, Hallmark seems to be the very worst at this, There has to be lots of profit in a card at $5, for any other occasion my $7 card would have been $3-$4, of course they know they have got a captive market and make the best of it, Its not that I mind spending $7, but Id love to have a decent choice and Id love to have a card that is put / stuck together correctly, after finding the right look and verse I picked though 6 poorly made cards before I found this one, they all had one or two faults, all the same card, even the one I bought wasnt 100%, but I was stuck, (My wife understood and thought it was nice) Huhhhh Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt everything in the Hallmark store Made in China.

Bahhhh Humbug Me. I was only commenting on Paulines post then I got all sour... Even so next year I will look for a American made card and not in the bloody hallmark store.
I spent a small fortune in hallmark the other week too, each kid always chooses an ornament of their own for the tree. Dd always wants a Disney princess, this year was Rapunzel, so off I trot, 6 cards one ornament later I'm about $40 lighter and it's all made in flippin China.
So I gave Dd paper and had her draw Christmas cards for all the close family and saved myself a few more cards, and they were made in the USA
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:58 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I spent a small fortune in hallmark the other week too, each kid always chooses an ornament of their own for the tree. Dd always wants a Disney princess, this year was Rapunzel, so off I trot, 6 cards one ornament later I'm about $40 lighter and it's all made in flippin China.
So I gave Dd paper and had her draw Christmas cards for all the close family and saved myself a few more cards, and they were made in the USA
Using British expertise.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Using British expertise.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Christmas used to be for kids and I suppose it still is, but here in the USA its more about selling people more crap and especially cheap crap made in China, You name it, its imported from China, Christmas has gone by the wayside ever since I stepped on American soil, no week off, back to work Christmas Day night or Boxing day, and no great parties.

It also really bugs the hell out of me that it costs $7 for a Wife card, one that is Made in China, Hallmark seems to be the very worst at this, There has to be lots of profit in a card at $5, for any other occasion my $7 card would have been $3-$4, of course they know they have got a captive market and make the best of it, Its not that I mind spending $7, but Id love to have a decent choice and Id love to have a card that is put / stuck together correctly, after finding the right look and verse I picked though 6 poorly made cards before I found this one, they all had one or two faults, all the same card, even the one I bought wasnt 100%, but I was stuck, (My wife understood and thought it was nice) Huhhhh Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt everything in the Hallmark store Made in China.

Hello Fish, Long time no see/speak! I cannot for the life of me, see why, as most folks have a PC and printer, folks do not do as I do? Use Either Microsoft Publisher, or Serif Page Plus, and create their own personal ones? - Top quality, and individual. - very easy..... Don

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 18th 2012 at 8:06 am. Reason: E&OE
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Fish, Long time no see/speak! I cannot for the life of me, see why, as most folks have a PC and printer, folks do not do as I do? Use Either Microsoft Publisher, or Serif Page Plus, and create their own personal ones? - Top quality, and individual. - very easy..... Don
I agree, doing your own can be a lot of fun. Serif have some excellent programs available - I have several including Page Plus as you mentioned. Have you tried Serif's Scrapbook Artist? That's great for individual artwork too. That being said, I must confess that I succumbed to "The Card Factory" when I returned to UK. After my last card purchase at Hallmark in Canada ($10.00 for one very average card!!) I was amazed at the beautiful cards Card Factory has for any occasion for a fraction of the price.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Hpercosumerism at this time of year is a conspiracy to boost the economy of the People's Republic of China ! Or if you prefer - BAH HUMBUG !
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:54 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I agree, doing your own can be a lot of fun. Serif have some excellent programs available - I have several including Page Plus as you mentioned. Have you tried Serif's Scrapbook Artist? That's great for individual artwork too. That being said, I must confess that I succumbed to "The Card Factory" when I returned to UK. After my last card purchase at Hallmark in Canada ($10.00 for one very average card!!) I was amazed at the beautiful cards Card Factory has for any occasion for a fraction of the price.
You can also just buy plain cards in a craft store and then make your own. I hand draw them usually (although this year I didn't have time), but it's also nice (and very easy) to use a photo you've taken.

Cheers, I'm having almost all those things you mentioned (cake, trifle, mice pies etc) this year although in Yorkshire we don't put icing and marzipan on our Christmas cake. Instead we eat it with a crumbly white cheese like Wensleydale. YUM!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Cheers, I'm having almost all those things you mentioned (cake, trifle, mice pies etc) this year although in Yorkshire we don't put icing and marzipan on our Christmas cake. Instead we eat it with a crumbly white cheese like Wensleydale. YUM!
I do that even if it has icing on.. , also love apple pie with cheese, either as part of the pie or just eaten as an addition.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Hpercosumerism at this time of year is a conspiracy to boost the economy of the People's Republic of China ! Or if you prefer - BAH HUMBUG !
Just received a Marks and Spencer Woodland Trust Xmas card, promoting recycling paper, and replanting forests. Turned it over, and it says Made in China - how strange!

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/s...mas-cards.aspx

x
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I have never heard the word, pleb, before have any of you?
How is it pronounced?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I have never heard the word, pleb, before have any of you?
How is it pronounced?
Just means a commoner, ordinary person; plebs as opposed to the wealthy, landowning types!

Comes from the Latin plebeian as it originates in Roman times.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 19th 2012 at 1:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.