Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I agree Rosie. England is much less of an insular island now, and much more of a multicultural melting pot. I also agree with the Americanization, although I quite like that because it makes me feel less self-conscious when I talk. And thank God the Brits have finally discovered mixer taps

One thing that hasn't changed is the weather. Here in Yorkshire, our 3 days of glorious sunshine have given way to the usual grey skies and drizzle. We went shopping the other day and I had to smile at the clothes in the stores - all floaty and flowery with not a jumper in sight. It's as if the entire British fashion industry forgot where they live.
THREE DAYS of sunshine ----- Hmmmm Im moving up there where you are right away
Since the first week in April I cant remember three days of sunshine, but yesterday we did get about two hours --- well almost!!!
The Summer seems to have completely canceled so far in the South East,
Yesterday the Wind was relentless and so strong, and sooooo cold, everyone was wrapped up in there heavy winter jackets, and the rain!!!! OMG so much rain all year so far, there seems to be no end to it,
But even after saying that ----- I much prefer this everso changable weather rather then the blistering dry 115 degree heat which lasts for over 6 months with no or very little rain,
I will take this British Climate with all its rain and cold over the desert heat anyday, but when the sun shines its lovely here, Ive seen weeks of sunshine in England at a time, last year ---- my first Summer here was quite lovely, this year so far kind of sucks, but we take the good with the smooth,
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Why would you put your mouth on the place the water comes out of? The stream of water is supposed to raise up into the air and you drink from that....
And it's not just young people expressing themselves in that manner, Don. It's any age....
Hello Rosie , _ I forgot you youngsters!
The original English drinking fountains did not spout up into the air.

When you put your finger on the lever, the water came out of the tap, and you had to use the metal cup, which was on a chain, to catch some, and drink from it. = the type you are describing, came much later! ( and the expressing yourself thing, was also a post war thing, was it not?) Don
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think you are all nieve! (boy am I bitter this morning)
If America wants the law regarding holidays or vacations reduced in the UK it will be done, you can mark my words on that!
Britain, IMO, is a pupit of the US and the US plays with it until they squish it.
The American government or American corporations don't influence English employment law and never will. Here we are under the rule of the EU and have no option but to follow their rulings. The British government is constantly being pushed towards more lenient employment laws, not less. If you lived here you'd know this because you see the stories every day. Case in point from today's papers ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...day-paid-leave

I must have become a little bit American over the last 20 years or so because I find that ludicrous while most of my friends are cheering it.

Fact is, American laws mean nothing here (thankfully) and never will while we are a member of the EU.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are all nieve! (boy am I bitter this morning)
If America wants the law regarding holidays or vacations reduced in the UK it will be done, you can mark my words on that!
Britain, IMO, is a pupit of the US and the US plays with it until they squish it.

I'm reading on another forum about Americans, living in the UK, who run into fellow Americans every day in England.

Can you believe that these Americans or some of them are tring to change British laws to allow more of them to move into the UK. Makes my blood boil it does

Cheers
I assume you are joking here as that is probably one of the most absurd comments you have ever posted
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I assume you are joking here as that is probably one of the most absurd comments you have ever posted
I take it you differ with me on this but you don't have to be offensive.
I may have a better handle on things that you. Who knows?

There are people in Britain who never or could never see coming the changes that have been made by the current government to bring down the costs of benefits.

All things are possible!

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Rosie , _ I forgot you youngsters!
The original English drinking fountains did not spout up into the air.

When you put your finger on the lever, the water came out of the tap, and you had to use the metal cup, which was on a chain, to catch some, and drink from it. = the type you are describing, came much later! ( and the expressing yourself thing, was also a post war thing, was it not?) Don
I remember them!
I think those fountains were used by horses and dogs besides people.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
THREE DAYS of sunshine ----- Hmmmm Im moving up there where you are right away
Since the first week in April I cant remember three days of sunshine, but yesterday we did get about two hours --- well almost!!!
The Summer seems to have completely canceled so far in the South East,
Yesterday the Wind was relentless and so strong, and sooooo cold, everyone was wrapped up in there heavy winter jackets, and the rain!!!! OMG so much rain all year so far, there seems to be no end to it,
But even after saying that ----- I much prefer this everso changable weather rather then the blistering dry 115 degree heat which lasts for over 6 months with no or very little rain,
I will take this British Climate with all its rain and cold over the desert heat anyday, but when the sun shines its lovely here, Ive seen weeks of sunshine in England at a time, last year ---- my first Summer here was quite lovely, this year so far kind of sucks, but we take the good with the smooth,

Spot on Rodney. You express my thoughts ( as I sit in an airconditioned house and sip 'smoothies' of strawberries and fresh pineapple)
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Fish: I am with you here. I have found it somewhat disconcerting upon my return to find so much globalization in the UK. At least that is what I think it is. On one hand it has made for a more educated society, in the sense that people in the UK travel a lot more than they used to and are more tolerant of the differences in other cultures. But I do see a lot of American products in stores, and American words in common usage ('you guys', 24/7 just for example). It is no longer a little island but a multi-cultural country. It always was a Commonwealth mixture, but now it is also a European mixture, so quite a melting pot (to use another American term!). I am sure other BE members will have their own spin on what I have written, and I may have blamed globalization when it is something quite different - so if others want to jump in here, please do.
Brits have been picking up American sayings and terms over the years, every time I go back I notice new ones, Most have my inlaws have never set foot into the USA but they do watch lots of American tv and movies, thats where I place the blame.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorac05;10132846]That is not going to happen as UK employment law states everyone gets a minimum of 20 days + 8 days of public/bank holidays. I hope they leave the business plan well alone and are just in it for the profits but I am concerned they will try to make some chngnes which could destroy the soul of the company.[/QUOTE]

Lorac, you hit the nail on the head, Its the Soul of the company that will suffer.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you a communist?
Why do I say that? Because you are talking about the Corporation of the Washington Government! i.e. The country is run by the corporations and the election thing is hold over and a tradition from the past. It makes the gullible public think they have a say in things. (I should take that back because I think they do know whats going on and I'm the one who is waking up! Look at what percent of the US population vote in an election. I think it is 45%)
Corporations have their employees working in Washington and they are called Congressmen.
As side note.
Do you know that legislation (laws) are written by the corporations and then passed by congress?
Off my soap box, as Don would say.
Cheers
Communist, hahahaaaa Not Friggin likely.

I liked the rest of you post, pretty spot on.

What happens when China buys up all these Corporations, will they be running this country too.

Seeing as you brought it up, I have an observation or question of sorts, Americans have hated Communism for many years, it goes way back, yet most things sold here are made in China, are we hypocrites or what ???

This hating Communism then supporting them just baffles my mind, there is no logic.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The American government or American
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...day-paid-leave.
Hello Sally - Fact is, the law mentioned by the Guardian, already applied to Civil Servants. If we fell ill whilst on Leave, on our return, if we cared to produce a doctor's note, the time off sick was automatically credited to our leave entitlement. We were also, entitled to three days of ''uncertified'' sick leave, provided we rang in, and told the department head. - bear in mind, I retired early, in 1982, due to having had a heart attack..
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Communist, hahahaaaa Not Friggin likely.

I liked the rest of you post, pretty spot on.

What happens when China buys up all these Corporations, will they be running this country too.

Seeing as you brought it up, I have an observation or question of sorts, Americans have hated Communism for many years, it goes way back, yet most things sold here are made in China, are we hypocrites or what ???

This hating Communism then supporting them just baffles my mind, there is no logic.
I think there is a saying that goes "they will sell their mother if they can make a buck"

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been reading on another forum that these corps have to do whats necessary to survive and I found an article that says this and the number of corporations that won't be around by the end of 2013, so they may have a point.

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...one-in-13?lite
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There are people in Britain who never or could never see coming the changes that have been made by the current government to bring down the costs of benefits.

All things are possible!

Cheers
Nothing to do with benefits, but everything to do with the EU working time directive. American corporations in the UK have to abide by the labour laws here.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

All things are possible!

Cheers
In no way was I being offensive - but really what you said is very pie in the sky if you had any idea of how the EU impacts those of us living and working in it. It really was/is a very absurd thing to say - the US is so not the center of the universe - and remember I spent many years living there and working in corporate America.

I agree that many of the measures being imposed by the current governement are not sovving the issues we have and yes the benefit system is being cut - in some ways positively in other negatively. But to assume the US is pulling our strings is pretty insulting to the UK IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.