Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 14th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Here is an article in my local paper today about mobile homes
http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/community/...hows-1-4581341
We lived in a rented caravan for a while when we first got back, in summer, and it was stinking hot inside - which doesn't bode well for snugness in winter.
Despite researching this I am still really confused by the difference between a caravan and a mobile home in the UK. Here in the US there is a definite distinction. Not interested in those that move, or are mostly for holidays. It would need to be static, permanent and larger.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Despite researching this I am still really confused by the difference between a caravan and a mobile home in the UK. Here in the US there is a definite distinction. Not interested in those that move, or are mostly for holidays. It would need to be static, permanent and larger.
A caravan in smaller...it can be towed behind a car. A mobile home is much larger...it is far too big to be towed by a car. Although they are called mobile homes...they are not that mobile but they can be moved around using heavier vehicles. Mobile homes are simiar to trailer park homes. They are sometimes called static caravans.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"A Gated Retirement Community for the Over-55s" ?

That sounds to me like a euphemism for a ghetto for pensioners !
LOL,

I hear they are playing Elvis songs to the old folks in the senior citizens homes these days. Which made me think that in a few years they'll be playing glam rock and getting the oldies to sing-a-long to The Sweet's "Little Willie". Shortly after that it could be my turn and the disco era with some "Night Fever" with hand movements only. I just hope I can stick around long enough to see the geriatric punks move in. I'd love to see the nursing assistants trying to get the oldies clapping along to "Never mind the Bollocks"
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:26 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Look for "park homes".

http://wessexparkhomes.co.uk/residen...ark-homes.aspx
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

<A caravan in smaller...it can be towed behind a car. A mobile home is much larger...it is far too big to be towed by a car. Although they are called mobile homes...they are not that mobile but they can be moved around using heavier vehicles. Mobile homes are simiar to trailer park homes. They are sometimes called static caravans.>

Yes, that's it, the same as here. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mallory
Ahh, park homes, ok, now I get it!
Old Dec 14th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Perthomeschool, I live in Arizona and recently sold my house. I looked for places to rent and actually live in a retirement community for over 55s. They now accept many folks from ages 35 and up depends on community. We have 2 bed/2ba trailer and you know I really enjoy living here. I am so done with Arizona overall and will leave once lease is up (I rent) but I can see the appeal of it. Lots to do and folks say hello whereas home I owned for 12.5 years only knew 2 of my neighbors.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Perthomeschool, I live in Arizona and recently sold my house. I looked for places to rent and actually live in a retirement community for over 55s. They now accept many folks from ages 35 and up depends on community. We have 2 bed/2ba trailer and you know I really enjoy living here. I am so done with Arizona overall and will leave once lease is up (I rent) but I can see the appeal of it. Lots to do and folks say hello whereas home I owned for 12.5 years only knew 2 of my neighbors.
Glad to see you back on here!
You say you are done with Arizona. Where do you want to move to? I think you are connected to Nova Scotia if I remember right.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

A thing we have to remember when we buy something, in this case a mobile home or even a home in a gated retirement community, is if you needed to sell it how much interest would there be in finding a buyer without sustaining a big loss from what you paid for it.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mmm, 35 and up? Doesn't seem like it would be much of a retirement community. Father in law lived in Mesa in one of the communities, also 2 bed/ 2 bath, and we did like to go visit. I agree with you that you do get to know your neighbours a lot easier than you do in a traditional neighbourhood. One brother in law lives in Tucson, so it made sense to gravitate over to AZ. But really want to go home and OH is a world traveler and amenable to anything/anywhere. Just trying to maximise our money. Some of the park homes in the UK look really nice. I think we are planning on renting for at least 6 months before we make a final decision though. Whereabouts are you off to?
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
A thing we have to remember when we buy something, in this case a mobile home or even a home in a gated retirement community, is if you needed to sell it how much interest would there be in finding a buyer without sustaining a big loss from what you paid for it.
That is a good point, of course, but I guess it could be said of anywhere really. After owning 4 homes in 20 years (and selling 3 of them at a loss) I am not that keen on home ownership anymore anyway. Fortunately, the one we are in now we will make a profit on simply because we bought it as a fixer-upper. Quite frankly, I would be happy to rent for the rest of my life. It may be what we end up doing. Just wondering if we do rent a park home would it be warm enough? Remember we are coming from Florida where our blood has thinned considerably
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
LOL,

I hear they are playing Elvis songs to the old folks in the senior citizens homes these days. Which made me think that in a few years they'll be playing glam rock and getting the oldies to sing-a-long to The Sweet's "Little Willie". Shortly after that it could be my turn and the disco era with some "Night Fever" with hand movements only. I just hope I can stick around long enough to see the geriatric punks move in. I'd love to see the nursing assistants trying to get the oldies clapping along to "Never mind the Bollocks"
Funny! I used to teach Zumba for the 50+ ladies. I even taught "Chair Zumba." Maybe I should try to get a job

If you haven't seen Young At Heart I highly recommend it. Here's the preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uOOhm8Fj8
Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I want to move to the East coast or top of list is Chicago. I do not when I can move yet..I believe retirement communities can rent to younger than 55 but cannot own property if under 55. I don't want to buy property for a long time anyway. 20 years of being a homeowner - I want to rent for a while.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I want to move to the East coast or top of list is Chicago. I do not when I can move yet..I believe retirement communities can rent to younger than 55 but cannot own property if under 55. I don't want to buy property for a long time anyway. 20 years of being a homeowner - I want to rent for a while.
I hear you about home ownership

We lived in MD, just outside, of DC for 3 years. Wonderful area. Great city to visit, esp the Smithsonian. We lived close to the last stop on the metro, so it was easy to get there. What might have been had we stayed there
Old Dec 15th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes if I don't end up in Chicago which is my first choice I'd like to be near DC/northern VA area. I miss the 4 seasons. I've had 24 years of sunshine and for me it's enough. Yep love DC and even though British and we have our wonderful heritage love the history in DC - tomb of unknown soldier, eternal flame by grave of Kennedys, the Lincoln memorial - love it all..
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

<A caravan in smaller...it can be towed behind a car. A mobile home is much larger...it is far too big to be towed by a car. Although they are called mobile homes...they are not that mobile but they can be moved around using heavier vehicles. Mobile homes are simiar to trailer park homes. They are sometimes called static caravans.>

Yes, that's it, the same as here. Thanks!

Ahh, park homes, ok, now I get it!

here's a link I found because there is similar park home in King's Lynn (although the description for the Lynn site is more glam than reality).
http://www.parkhome-living.co.uk/
I am not endorsing this, just providing info.

I never had anyone tell me that UK park home living is wonderful.
I've observed the parks to be a) remote located if there is ample free space amongst the homes. b) Homes crowded together in the couple places I observed in urban areas.
I had an acquaintance tell me he bought a residential static caravan on a site. The rules allowed him only to sell the caravan to the site owner and his offered price was extremely way below what he paid to buy and below market price if he could have took it off site.
I've seen media reports where park managers / owners have stopped maintaining their parks to force down prices so they could buy back cheaply and to get people to leave.
Just saying what my impression is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.