Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Quick question: we are thinking of buying IPADs while we are still here and ditching the laptops. Would a US warranty be valid in the UK?
Yes if you take out Applecare rather than a retailer's warranty. We bought iPhones before we left and I have used Applecare here in the Uk several times for help calls. We also used it the other day for an iMac that we bought two years ago. But Applecare only lasts 3 years so it depends when you are leaving.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 7th 2012 at 5:10 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

5) Doesn't rain incessantly?
You know, this myth is exactly that - a myth! People here moaned about rain and bad weather this summer, but it really wasn't that bad at all. We had some lovely weather here in Yorkshire and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Was it 80 degrees every day? No - in fact I don't think it reached 80 degrees on more than 2 or 3 days all summer - but it was sunny more often than it rained. I noticed though, that most Brits don't seem to notice the sunny days - only the wet ones!

We were out the other day with a friend of ours and I said to him 'what a glorious day! Look at that blue sky!' He turned to look out of the window, way into the distance, and then said 'yeah, but it's dark over there. I bet it's raining by lunchtime.'

That sums up the British attitude to the weather IMO. Never happy unless they're moaning
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes if you take out Applecare rather than a retailer's warranty. We bought iPhones before we left and I have used Applecare here in the Uk several times for help calls. We also used it the other day for an iMac that we bought two years ago. But Applecare only lasts 3 years so it depends when you are leaving.
Yes, I had read about Applecare. We don't have iphones right now, only cheap ones but might do that too. Will wait until a few months before we leave to get both. Had read that it was cheaper to get those kinds of things in the US. And if we get the ipads instead of taking our laptops, we will have less to carry. Is there no extended warranty for beyond 3 years?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

We were out the other day with a friend of ours and I said to him 'what a glorious day! Look at that blue sky!' He turned to look out of the window, way into the distance, and then said 'yeah, but it's dark over there. I bet it's raining by lunchtime.'

That sums up the British attitude to the weather IMO. Never happy unless they're moaning

You know, I am not keen on rain because I plan on walking A LOT, since I don't do it as much as I want to in Florida because of the heat. But I have nothing against overcast. As a matter of fact, it was foggy and overcast this morning and I had a lovely extra long walk with the doggie. I had an American friend who went to live in York with her UKC husband, but they came back after 2 years because she just couldn't stand not seeing the sun everyday.

Whereabouts are you in Yorkshire? I have old chums from my days at boarding school in Devon who came from Sheffield on a school exchange. My best friend is now a farmer in Barnsley.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a place that fits your criteria - except for rain and proximity to London. Bliss - I can live without a car and walk where I have to. The invention of the suburb and the peripheral housing estate was NOT progress. People are supposed to live in a TOWN.

(My location is a crrefully guarded secret, known only to a select few.)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

We are now looking at NORFOLK, possibly NORWICH. It's frustrating trying to pick somewhere completely new I think JJ s are in Norwich??? If you read this, could you answer a few questions? 1) Liveable without a car? 2) High Street with shops, GP, Bank, Post Office, etc by foot or by bus? 3) Good rail system to London? 4) Generally safe, friendly place? 5) Doesn't rain incessantly?
We like the town center of Norwich.
It has all the shops and market imaginable, in a historic town setting but with new town center malls.
There is thriving arts scene.
There are plentiful buses, local and long distance.
Popular football club.
History with castle and cathedral and museums.
Good fast overhead electric train to Cambridge and London.

Friendly and Safe, yes, as far as I know, Norfolk is generally lower crime stats than other counties. I never been accosted in Norwich (we visit a few times a year).
Lively night life, with clubs open until 4 a.m. (not that I go to clubs but I heard the clients in the streets from my hotel)

Norfolk trends to lower rainfall.
Not so hilly that you can't walk anywhere in county. Quite a good public footpath network.
Lovely coast but expensive in places popular for 2nd homes.
Can be cold winds on exposed coast if wind from North East.

Self pro-claimed City of Ale with excellent and plentiful pubs. (we are there next weekend for a Xmas pub crawl with group of friends and stay over)
Not well connected by road, particularly to midlands and North.

We live in West Norfolk and although the nearby countryside / coast ticks all boxes we would rather live with Norwich as our nearest city (but here we are nearer to aging family in Lincolnshire whereas Norwich would be double the journey length for us to travel often)

There other post the past few months from people interested in Norwich / Norfolk. A forum search might produce more comments for you.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Dec 7th 2012 at 8:30 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

As for the rain, remember that saying from Billy Connolly," There is no such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing !"
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, this myth is exactly that - a myth! People here moaned about rain and bad weather this summer, but it really wasn't that bad at all. We had some lovely weather here in Yorkshire and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Was it 80 degrees every day? No - in fact I don't think it reached 80 degrees on more than 2 or 3 days all summer - but it was sunny more often than it rained. I noticed though, that most Brits don't seem to notice the sunny days - only the wet ones!

Sally got to agree with everything you say here, this summer everyone in Portsmouth was saying oh so much rain and we havent had a summer at all,
I just dont get it!!!! its like there living somewhere else from me I cant even count how many lovely days I spent on the beach this year (4 miles away --- or 20 minutes by bus) yes there were rainy days, but most of time it was only part of the day or at night, and I just love how quickly the weather changes here from a couple of hours of rain and then stops and the sky turns a beautiful blue and the glorious sun is yet again shining ever so brightly, I doubt if most days got more then high 70,s but that just suits me fine as I suffered for 14 years in Las Vegas, one of the hottest and dryest places on earth with way over 320 days of sunshine a year ---- ouch who needs that much sunshine, not me!!!
And yep your certainly right about the moaning Brits, but it seems to make them happy when they moan I say what the heck does the average Joe Bloggs over here have to moan about Most really dont seem to have a clue how sooooo good they got it!!!

Last edited by jasper123; Dec 7th 2012 at 10:13 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:37 pm
Finally Home!

Whereabouts are you in Yorkshire? I have old chums from my days at boarding school in Devon who came from Sheffield on a school exchange. My best friend is now a farmer in Barnsley.
We're in Harrogate right now renting, but we're buying a house in Airedale. Very excited to be getting out into the countryside. I don't mind rain - that's why God made wellies
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
Not the Ziplocs, surely. Last time I came back from Canada I had loads stuffed into my luggage. "Encourage" him a bit more firmly on that one. The British bags are hopeless.

Bev
Except Ziplocs, which are available in the UK, too....In the ''Lakelands Catalogue, for sure.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Harrogate right now renting, but we're buying a house in Airedale. Very excited to be getting out into the countryside. I don't mind rain - that's why God made wellies
Thanks for the update, now to spend time on researching Airedale.

You made my day.

Cheers
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oooh, nice. Just saw your blog! Would you believe I am just at the point in the 1st 50s and 60s where you had just returned from your initial trip over, and your DH was just about ready to say yes to going back for good! Who needs the telly when I have you lot And yes, my DH mentioned we would need some wellies. I think I could get used to walking in the rain
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
I suffered for 14 years in Las Vegas, one of the hottest and dryest places on earth with way over 320 days of sunshine a year ---- ouch who needs that much sunshine, not me!!!
Don't much like the Florida heat either, and even the sunshine became overrated when you had the benefit of it every day. We used to get a lot more rain in the past too but, as with everywhere else, our climate is changing, apparently for the drier. Was wondering how I would adjust being home, but I think I will do just fine. I responded to your earlier welcome message to me, but don't know if you saw it. I asked how your mum was. I do hope she is well.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
I am in a place that fits your criteria - except for rain and proximity to London. Bliss - I can live without a car and walk where I have to. The invention of the suburb and the peripheral housing estate was NOT progress. People are supposed to live in a TOWN.

(My location is a crrefully guarded secret, known only to a select few.)
Agreed to everything you just said! Says she who presently lives in an unwalkable suburb...

#1 reason to go back healthcare; #2 reason no car. We are even thinking of never buying a house again either, just renting. Free and easy...that's the plan

Good on you for keeping your location a secret. Keeps it livable that way... although I am just a tad bit green with envy
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
We like the town center of Norwich.
It has all the shops and market imaginable, in a historic town setting but with new town center malls.
There is thriving arts scene.
There are plentiful buses, local and long distance.
Popular football club.
History with castle and cathedral and museums.
Good fast overhead electric train to Cambridge and London.

Friendly and Safe, yes, as far as I know, Norfolk is generally lower crime stats than other counties. I never been accosted in Norwich (we visit a few times a year).
Lively night life, with clubs open until 4 a.m. (not that I go to clubs but I heard the clients in the streets from my hotel)

Norfolk trends to lower rainfall.
Not so hilly that you can't walk anywhere in county. Quite a good public footpath network.
Lovely coast but expensive in places popular for 2nd homes.
Can be cold winds on exposed coast if wind from North East.

Self pro-claimed City of Ale with excellent and plentiful pubs. (we are there next weekend for a Xmas pub crawl with group of friends and stay over)
Not well connected by road, particularly to midlands and North.

We live in West Norfolk and although the nearby countryside / coast ticks all boxes we would rather live with Norwich as our nearest city (but here we are nearer to aging family in Lincolnshire whereas Norwich would be double the journey length for us to travel often)

There other post the past few months from people interested in Norwich / Norfolk. A forum search might produce more comments for you.
Thank you for the info Been looking at websites and I think I am getting excited about Norwich. Best of all, there are Irish music sessions in town, so hubby can continue his love affair with the concertina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.