British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Dec 4th 2012 8:15 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10414942)
I haven't missed a single thing from America food-wise - I thought the food there was awful for the most part - way too meat-focused and fatty for me and the chocolate was so bad I was never tempted. I am so enjoying the food here that I just had to see a hypnotherapist to help me control all the cravings! (Seems to have worked too, if anyone else is having the same problem).

But the one thing I do miss is being able to buy more than 16 pain killers at a time. What the hell is that about? I used to buy one big tub of Advil and then it would sit in the cupboard for whenever we needed it. Now there's only this little packet and if someone else has used it without me knowing, I'm out of luck when I really need pain relief. Drives me nuts!

Now you've got me wondering about that too. Fortunately, I seldom use them, but I do like to have a bottle on hand, just in case. I have only been able to find small packets. I do wonder why and when the change took place. Is it related to drug abuse?

rebs Dec 4th 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10414993)
Now you've got me wondering about that too. Fortunately, I seldom use them, but I do like to have a bottle on hand, just in case. I have only been able to find small packets. I do wonder why and when the change took place. Is it related to drug abuse?

It was a few years ago the restriction came in. It was intended to help as a suicide deterrent.

curleytops Dec 4th 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10414935)
I just checked my cupboards to see the brand name of the one I bought - it's called 'Fry Light' and comes in a greenish can with a dark green top. It's in the aisle with the olive oil.

OOOH thanks will keep my eye out for it!

dunroving Dec 4th 2012 8:41 am

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10415002)
It was a few years ago the restriction came in. It was intended to help as a suicide deterrent.

Bloody nanny state. I have a big tub of ibuprofen and one of Aleve. Hardly ever need them but easier to have them available than always running out. God bless Sam's Club.

rebs Dec 4th 2012 9:02 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10415042)
Bloody nanny state. I have a big tub of ibuprofen and one of Aleve. Hardly ever need them but easier to have them available than always running out. God bless Sam's Club.

I know what you mean - my husband wont bring back the foil & the ziploc bags but we are always well stocked with the huge tubs of ibuprofen and acetaminophen :D

In all seriousness though, I understand that the limitation in pack sizes has reduced the number of suicides, so I guess it is effective.

aries Dec 4th 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10415002)

Is this for pain killers on prescription? If not there is nothing to stop someone going to different shops and ending up with a large quantity.

curleytops Dec 4th 2012 10:47 am

The most a supermarket etc. can sell you is quantity of 2 pkgs. as well. Last year my Dr. prescribed me a mild dose Co-codamol tablet (quantity 100) but when I took the prescription to the chemist I was told they would be cheaper to buy "over the counter" in boxes that would total a quantity of 96 tablets and as I had the prescription they sold me more than you'd normally get over the counter.

jasper123 Dec 4th 2012 11:28 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10415267)
The most a supermarket etc. can sell you is quantity of 2 pkgs. as well. Last year my Dr. prescribed me a mild dose Co-codamol tablet (quantity 100) but when I took the prescription to the chemist I was told they would be cheaper to buy "over the counter" in boxes that would total a quantity of 96 tablets and as I had the prescription they sold me more than you'd normally get over the counter.

Im allergic to all pain killers ------ except aspirin, and the same rules go with them too on quantity sold in little packs in U.K. but in America I used to buy bottles of 100 aspirin for a couple of dollars, and I have at times bought the bottles of 500 I think it was?
So over here my Doctor gave me a prescription for Aspirin and I get four 32 tab packs, (full strength) so thats 128 tabs, and being over 60 of course I get them free, I rarely get headaches so they will last me quite some time,
BTW I didn't ask him for so many packs, he just gave me that amount on the prescription,
Now Im thinking that maybe the NHS has different rules on age groups too, like maybe a 20 year old would get less, maybe they think that young people would be more apt to do away with themselves, but if a person has actually survived 67 years (like me) without wanting to end it all ------ then chances are they wont want to :sneaky:

PS I was on a bus yesterday on way back from a little shopping down town, and suddenly this elderly lady in front of me just turned around looked at me and shouted out quite loud ----- are you intelligent, so I said hell no not me, Im more average then the average Joe, so I said to her are you? she said me!!! ---- no Im just as dumb as most people,
So then my stop was coming up so I pressed the bell and got up from my seat, and on the way out I said to this Woman with a smile on my face ----- And chances are if were not smart at our ages we probably wont be :)
The whole bus load of people just cracked up laughing :D now I liked this womans openness, I wish everyone could be just like her, just blurt something out to compleat strangers and see how they respond ;)

Bevm Dec 4th 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10412735)
Yes I will be careful Mallory,
I have found that Morrisons here and Lidl,s too stock real 100% maple syrup imported from Canada,
And I buy a packet of giant american style pancakes at Iceland, there are 4 in a pack, not frozen, there fresh already made!!!!

Jasper, do you want me to try to find my pancake recipe?

Bev

jasper123 Dec 4th 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10415417)
Jasper, do you want me to try to find my pancake recipe?

Bev

Well Bev I do know how to make the batter, although I used to buy the big ready made packages in the States and you just add water, over here all Ive seen is a ridicules little box of pancake powder that you add water to box and shake it up or something like that :eek:
The reason I buy these ready made American style pancakes in a pack is cause its easy, just bung em in the oven, as Im the only one in our house that likes em, and I really cant tell the difference in them to the instant powder I used to use in U.S.
But having said that Bev yes if its not too much trouble I would love to try your American/Canadian pancake mix recipe :D

curleytops Dec 4th 2012 1:57 pm

On the subject of pancakes, a few years ago my sister decided our Christmas morning breakfast needed a bit of a twist and substituted egg nog for the liquid in the pancakes along with adding a dash of nutmeg to the mix. From that day on Ally's egnog pancakes became a Christmas tradition in our house. Topped with butter and syrup they're absolutely delicious and I don't even want to think about the calories!

dunroving Dec 4th 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10415571)
On the subject of pancakes, a few years ago my sister decided our Christmas morning breakfast needed a bit of a twist and substituted egg nog for the liquid in the pancakes along with adding a dash of nutmeg to the mix. From that day on Ally's egnog pancakes became a Christmas tradition in our house. Topped with butter and syrup they're absolutely delicious and I don't even want to think about the calories!

Sounds marvelous!

rebs Dec 4th 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10415138)
Is this for pain killers on prescription? If not there is nothing to stop someone going to different shops and ending up with a large quantity.

No, not prescription - over the counter stuff.

You are quite right, of course about being able to go to multiple shops. However, what that does is create at least something of a barrier, however minor, which might just stop someone acting impulsively. It's all a bit morbid, but if you have a look, you can find references to how the number of suicides by overdosing on paracetamol etc dropped by quite a lot in the years following the restrictions.

UkWinds5353 Dec 4th 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10414929)
I'm a bit late to the conversation I know but I wanted to let you know that I think it's a great idea and I'd recommend sticking with cities or large 'hip' towns as Rodney said, simply because you'd have a bigger pool of customers. (I could see something like this in Brighton or Manchester, for example).

Brits see American diners and restaurants on TV and the idea of going into on one would appeal if done well.

My own two cents though is that I think people here would be less likely to try something new if they didn't know anything on the menu. But if something on the menu was familiar and appealing enough, they'd come in and then start to learn about the other foods. That's how it was with Indian and Chinese restaurants back in the day.

So if it were me, I might center my branding on, say, southern fried chicken (which everyone here loves) but make sure the advertising and store front sold that it was the real deal - real American southern fried chicken. And also make sure the atmosphere is what Brits think of as American, including hiring American wait staff if possible (in big cities there should be students available). Selling really good burgers would help too - even if that's not actually authentic - because people here love a burger and it would be another way to draw them in with the familiar.

Then I'd market the more unusual stuff by educating people on it somehow within the restaurant - like maybe a blackboard where everyday you feature another foodstuff and explain what it is and how it tastes. (Biscuits would be a revelation here as we already like savory scones, but think a biscuit is something covered in chocolate that you dip in your tea).

If eating there was a complete American experience - including the drinks, the music, the decor etc. - I bet it would do really well.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but I did want to just say I think it's a great idea - and also to say that if you stick with the bigger cities as already discussed, you'd have the advantage of an American clientele built in.

Oooh, one other thought. One of the world's largest spy bases is near me and it's staffed by Americans. There is even an American school in Harrogate. I often hear American accents as we walk round. I'm just wondering if it might be worth choosing a town like that, where you have a built-in population of people who are homesick for American food.

Sally

Some really good info there.And I agree with you that the American Diner has an Iconic image here at home and abroad and it is very appealing to many people. I personally enjoy them for their menu variety.You can have breakfast food any time of the day or night as well as a multitude of dinner choices not to mention spirits.

Picking a smart location is important in setting up this business.I think Rodney mentioned the potential of having the American military bases as a source of clientele.And that certainly could be a reliable customer base to count on until more brits hear about my establishment. There are a lot of American service men and women that would love to have a real authentic American home cooked meal. I must say that southern style food does not only taste amazing but you feel that you get your money's worth. You do not walk away feeling unsatisfied or still hungry. I'm going to do my homework on this and make sure I set up a winner.

between two worlds Dec 4th 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10415927)
Sally

Some really good info there.And I agree with you that the American Diner has an Iconic image here at home and abroad and it is very appealing to many people. I personally enjoy them for their menu variety.You can have breakfast food any time of the day or night as well as a multitude of dinner choices not to mention spirits.

Picking a smart location is important in setting up this business.I think Rodney mentioned the potential of having the American military bases as a source of clientele.And that certainly could be a reliable customer base to count on until more brits hear about my establishment. There are a lot of American service men and women that would love to have a real authentic American home cooked meal. I must say that southern style food does not only taste amazing but you feel that you get your money's worth. You do not walk away feeling unsatisfied or still hungry. I'm going to do my homework on this and make sure I set up a winner.

The American diner is a wonderful thing and I agree the menus are extraordinary, with so many choices, breakfast all day, often lots of Greek specialties (because so many Greeks seem to run diners), enormous wodges of pie (!), etc. But you certainly couldn't get spirits, or even wine or beer, in any diner in Pennsylvania, where I was living! When my mother visited, she said, well, a restaurant like this, where you can't get a drink, wouldn't get very far in England, no matter how good and how cheap the food! She couldn't believe how one diner even offered DUCK, which one thinks of as quite a luxury meat---and nary a drop of wine to go with it!

But yes, I've often thought a well-run American-style diner, with a licence, could do very well in England.

Tina