British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Derrygal Dec 1st 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

On the subject of fish and chips - I was in Belfast, N Ireland in October - one of the places I ate offered, fish and chips with a choice of either peas, coleslaw or side salad.

Dunroving - I lived in a small town in Southern Georgia for 3 years. A lot of people ate grits - not me - I just didn't like them. Everyone told me they were an "acquired taste" but I just couldn't take to them.

jasper123 Dec 1st 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10410886)
Okay Rodney, I'm an enigma. When I lived in England one of my O levels was in Domestic Science. I used to make rough puff pastry, roux pastry, chelsea buns, bread, Christmas cake, liver and onions, Cornish pasties - all of it.

When I came to the states, I arrived in north Florida, near Tallahassee. Hubby's gran and my MIL taught me how to cook southern, and I've never looked back. I learned how to make cornbread dressing, collards, turnip greens, chicken and dumplings, chicken fried steak, cheese grits, pecan pie, banana pudding, fried okra, southern field peas, pinto beans, deviled eggs, iced trea, cornbread - all of it! Still cook it all!

My family don't like mince pies, custard, Xmas cake, sherry, Xmas pud, or even trifle! :ohmy: The only English thing I get away with is Xmas crackers.

We have a huge family gathering at Thanksgiving, but Xmas is for just our family. Another huge gathering in June every year for the annual family reunion. A lot of good cooking goes on in the south!

OMG Mallory all those southern dishes you mention here are to die for, thank you so much for the list, it brought a lot of pleasure to me reading them and also a lot of very beautiful memories of my ex wife, she used to cook all those dishes from time to time, the only time I had to leave the apartment for a few hours is when she got cracking on cooking her chitlings, I could never stand the smell or the taste, bless her heart though,
she loved them, that would be the night that I would cook something just for me :)
Oh yes your right about that ---- a lot of good cooking goes on in the south,
and when I was living in Reno a lot of good southern cooking was going on there too, even though its not the South.
Rodney :)

UkWinds5353 Dec 2nd 2012 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10410886)
Okay Rodney, I'm an enigma. When I lived in England one of my O levels was in Domestic Science. I used to make rough puff pastry, roux pastry, chelsea buns, bread, Christmas cake, liver and onions, Cornish pasties - all of it.

When I came to the states, I arrived in north Florida, near Tallahassee. Hubby's gran and my MIL taught me how to cook southern, and I've never looked back. I learned how to make cornbread dressing, collards, turnip greens, chicken and dumplings, chicken fried steak, cheese grits, pecan pie, banana pudding, fried okra, southern field peas, pinto beans, deviled eggs, iced trea, cornbread - all of it! Still cook it all!

My family don't like mince pies, custard, Xmas cake, sherry, Xmas pud, or even trifle! :ohmy: The only English thing I get away with is Xmas crackers.

We have a huge family gathering at Thanksgiving, but Xmas is for just our family. Another huge gathering in June every year for the annual family reunion. A lot of good cooking goes on in the south!

Very impressive!!

UkWinds5353 Dec 2nd 2012 8:46 am

Do any of you ever make home made southern style ice cream with a churn?

Bevm Dec 2nd 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10409604)
Well done, wish I had done that :)

Every time my husband goes to the US on a business trip I ask him to bring me back some reynolds wrap and ziploc bags, but he things it would look really weird when they x-ray his bag :rofl:

Not the Ziplocs, surely. Last time I came back from Canada I had loads stuffed into my luggage. "Encourage" him a bit more firmly on that one. The British bags are hopeless.

Bev

jasper123 Dec 2nd 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10412136)
Not the Ziplocs, surely. Last time I came back from Canada I had loads stuffed into my luggage. "Encourage" him a bit more firmly on that one. The British bags are hopeless.

Bev

Hi Bev,
I do agree with you on ziplocs, there hopeless over in UK and the cling film and tin foil are not much better,
Im not going on my holiday to the States for another 18 months from now, staying for a month with my very good friend Art, but I will be bringing quite a few American products home with me, and ziplocs of course and also some decent plastic hangers too, a few pair of levi and wrangler jeans too, over in U.S. there like $20 over here there at least
£60 a pair :eek: yes pounds,
and a pair of Nike and Roebuck sneakers, although I did get a nice pair of Nike,s here a few months back at the Nike,s own store downtown, they were on sale for £14 down from £40 so that was a nice bargain, and there so comfortable with the cushion air sole,
I wonder if I could get away with stashing a few jars of miracle whip in my suitcase too :)

Mummy in the foothills Dec 2nd 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10412316)
Hi Bev,
I do agree with you on ziplocs, there hopeless over in UK and the cling film and tin foil are not much better,
Im not going on my holiday to the States for another 18 months from now, staying for a month with my very good friend Art, but I will be bringing quite a few American products home with me, and ziplocs of course and also some decent plastic hangers too, a few pair of levi and wrangler jeans too, over in U.S. there like $20 over here there at least
and a pair of Nike and Roebuck sneakers, although I did get a nice pair of Nike,s here a few months back at the Nike,s own store downtown, they were on sale for £14 down from £40 so that was a nice bargain, and there so comfortable with the cushion air sole,
I wonder if I could get away with stashing a few jars of miracle whip in my suitcase too :)

You'll have to do what my Mum does, bring two suitcases, one inside the other, then you have one to fill for the return journey and pay for it in one direction only. She takes zip lock bags, and a few other bits, not tin foil though.
This is giving me good ideas of what to stock up on to send back to UK in my shipping boxes :thumbsup:

Celticspirit Dec 2nd 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Bev,

Rodney, are there any US stores for American expat foodies in the UK? You might find Miracle Whip. We have several British ones in Dallas notably www.british-emporium.com. It is ten miles from my house. Have a peek.

Mummy in the foothills Dec 2nd 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10412423)
Rodney, are there any US stores for American expat foodies in the UK? You might find Miracle Whip. We have several British ones in Dallas notably www.british-emporium.com. It is ten miles from my house. Have a peek.

I think it was Bee who was saying that if you go to TKMaxx they have American packet foods seasonally.
I found some in Aldi too. They had 4th of July proper hotdogs and buns, mustard and all kinds of imported foods.

Mallory Dec 2nd 2012 9:01 pm

I went to the UK this past summer and packed two small glass bottles of pure maple syrup (in a plastic bag), along with a square apx 4 x 4-inch voltage converter (does losts of EU countries), along with a cell phone charger - all in the middle of my case. When I unpacked, there was a note inside the maple syrup bag stating that my belongings had been searched at the airport in the US before I left, and they had tried to pack it back the best they could! I guess it looked like bomb-making material. So be careful what you pack! :eek:

jasper123 Dec 2nd 2012 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10412423)

Well No ----- not in Pompey, but I think that you can find an on line store just by googling american foods in U.K.
In Las Vegas there were two British Import Food stores that I used to go to now and then to get my well needed fix for some of my favorite British treats ----- trouble is they were all sooooo expensive, 5 to 8 times what you would pay for them here in U.K. :eek: some things though were only 3 times more expensive,
Me thinks that an online U.S. food product store would be the same deal ---- real expensive if you order from U.K. and of course the shipping & packing wont be cheap either.

jasper123 Dec 2nd 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10412652)
I went to the UK this past summer and packed two small glass bottles of pure maple syrup (in a plastic bag), along with a square apx 4 x 4-inch voltage converter (does losts of EU countries), along with a cell phone charger - all in the middle of my case. When I unpacked, there was a note inside the maple syrup bag stating that my belongings had been searched at the airport in the US before I left, and they had tried to pack it back the best they could! I guess it looked like bomb-making material. So be careful what you pack! :eek:

Yes I will be careful Mallory,
I have found that Morrisons here and Lidl,s too stock real 100% maple syrup imported from Canada,
And I buy a packet of giant american style pancakes at Iceland, there are 4 in a pack, not frozen, there fresh already made!!!! with about same sell by date as bread here ---- not long, but I kid you not I put two in the oven on gas mark 4 --- for 10 minutes, and I swear you will not notice any difference in the look or taste from any pancakes you ordered in a restaurant in the States, I then spread butter on them, pour a little maple syrup on them and a couple of over easy eggs on top, and lovely crisp bacon ----- and Wolla!!!! Hmmmmm oh so good ---- and to hell with the calories, thats my moment of heaven once every two weeks :D my Mum looks at me when I eat them and she thinks Im Crazy ;)

Celticspirit Dec 2nd 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10412718)
Well No ----- not in Pompey, but I think that you can find an on line store just by googling american foods in U.K.
In Las Vegas there were two British Import Food stores that I used to go to now and then to get my well needed fix for some of my favorite British treats ----- trouble is they were all sooooo expensive, 5 to 8 times what you would pay for them here in U.K. :eek: some things though were only 3 times more expensive,
Me thinks that an online U.S. food product store would be the same deal ---- real expensive if you order from U.K. and of course the shipping & packing wont be cheap either.

I agree.....it's quite expensive. We usually go at Christmas time. How do LV prices compare to the web site I sent you?

Celticspirit Dec 2nd 2012 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10412735)
Yes I will be careful Mallory,
I have found that Morrisons here and Lidl,s too stock real 100% maple syrup imported from Canada,
And I buy a packet of giant american style pancakes at Iceland, there are 4 in a pack, not frozen, there fresh already made!!!! with about same sell by date as bread here ---- not long, but I kid you not I put two in the oven on gas mark 4 --- for 10 minutes, and I swear you will not notice any difference in the look or taste from any pancakes you ordered in a restaurant in the States, I then spread butter on them, pour a little maple syrup on them and a couple of over easy eggs on top, and lovely crisp bacon ----- and Wolla!!!! Hmmmmm oh so good ---- and to hell with the calories, thats my moment of heaven once every two weeks :D my Mum looks at me when I eat them and she thinks Im Crazy ;)

I agree with your mom ;-) After 40 years here, I have never been tempted to eating that type of breakfast. Either pancakes with butter and syrup OR pancakes with bacon and eggs but not together.......

trottytrue Dec 3rd 2012 12:05 am

You are all making me very hungry. But its good to know what to bring back with me. I shall go to BJ's and buy a stock of goodies and put them in with my shipment.