British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

J.JsOH Dec 4th 2012 7:37 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10415981)
The American diner is a wonderful thing and I agree the menus are extraordinary, with so many choices, breakfast all day, often lots of Greek specialties (because so many Greeks seem to run diners), enormous wodges of pie (!), etc. But you certainly couldn't get spirits, or even wine or beer, in any diner in Pennsylvania, where I was living! When my mother visited, she said, well, a restaurant like this, where you can't get a drink, wouldn't get very far in England, no matter how good and how cheap the food! She couldn't believe how one diner even offered DUCK, which one thinks of as quite a luxury meat---and nary a drop of wine to go with it!

But yes, I've often thought a well-run American-style diner, with a licence, could do very well in England.

Tina

Here's a diner in Norfolk. Anyone up for a field trip and I'll meet you there. It's 30 mins from my home and near to american servicemen on airbases.
http://www.arbuckles.biz/
We visited a few months ago. By US standards I felt it was pricey and not as authentic as I would have liked but..... it does exist and is doing well and recently expanded.

dunroving Dec 4th 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10414935)
I just checked my cupboards to see the brand name of the one I bought - it's called 'Fry Light' and comes in a greenish can with a dark green top. It's in the aisle with the olive oil.

Yes, I have the same thing, bought from Tesco except in a yellow plastic pump spray.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 5th 2012 4:29 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10416053)
Here's a diner in Norfolk. Anyone up for a field trip and I'll meet you there. It's 30 mins from my home and near to american servicemen on airbases.
We visited a few months ago. By US standards I felt it was pricey and not as authentic as I would have liked but..... it does exist and is doing well and recently expanded.

The breakfasts really look good, I know my wife would love to see Biscuits n Gravy on that menu, I could eat breakfast for every meal...

OK its time for me to chime in on US Food in the UK, There is a place called Damons near Sheffield, My in laws will make a 25 mile trip for a meal there without the blink of an eye, they love it, its very much an American menu, Ive eaten there many times over the years, its good, heres the funny part, its 5 minutes walk from where I last lived in the UK, its like really going home everytime I drive up that street.

Damons have locations in Lincoln and Liverpol too.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 5th 2012 4:32 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10415341)
Im allergic to all pain killers ------ except aspirin, and the same rules go with them too on quantity sold in little packs in U.K. but in America I used to buy bottles of 100 aspirin for a couple of dollars, and I have at times bought the bottles of 500 I think it was?
So over here my Doctor gave me a prescription for Aspirin and I get four 32 tab packs, (full strength) so thats 128 tabs, and being over 60 of course I get them free, I rarely get headaches so they will last me quite some time,
BTW I didn't ask him for so many packs, he just gave me that amount on the prescription,
Now Im thinking that maybe the NHS has different rules on age groups too, like maybe a 20 year old would get less, maybe they think that young people would be more apt to do away with themselves, but if a person has actually survived 67 years (like me) without wanting to end it all ------ then chances are they wont want to :sneaky:

PS I was on a bus yesterday on way back from a little shopping down town, and suddenly this elderly lady in front of me just turned around looked at me and shouted out quite loud ----- are you intelligent, so I said hell no not me, Im more average then the average Joe, so I said to her are you? she said me!!! ---- no Im just as dumb as most people,
So then my stop was coming up so I pressed the bell and got up from my seat, and on the way out I said to this Woman with a smile on my face ----- And chances are if were not smart at our ages we probably wont be :)
The whole bus load of people just cracked up laughing :D now I liked this womans openness, I wish everyone could be just like her, just blurt something out to compleat strangers and see how they respond ;)

I know its risky Rod but maybe that person could be you, just keep an eye out for the lady, maybe you could strike up a conversation, I find many Brits to be reserved, it only takes one to speak up and Bobs your Uncle...

Free asprin, that really does blow my mind...

UkWinds5353 Dec 5th 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10416053)

The interior of the building looks authentic and pleasant. The food will allways be the key to long term success. If a restaurateur were to go away from true American diner food(or in my case,southern food) in order to cater to what he/she thinks the public might like then they are cheating the customers out of a real dinning treat. And I agree with you, those prices are a little too high. But they must be doing something right.

Bevm Dec 5th 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10415082)
In all seriousness though, I understand that the limitation in pack sizes has reduced the number of suicides, so I guess it is effective.

Did people really try to commit suicide with aspirin? Acetominophen I can believe since a scarily small amount can do in the liver, but it's hardly a quick way to go. Wouldn't a lot of alcohol be better, and I don't see them banning people from buying a couple of bottles of vodka.

Bev

dunroving Dec 5th 2012 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10417089)
Did people really try to commit suicide with aspirin? Acetominophen I can believe since a scarily small amount can do in the liver, but it's hardly a quick way to go. Wouldn't a lot of alcohol be better, and I don't see them banning people from buying a couple of bottles of vodka.

Bev

From a quick search it seems it is very difficult/almost impossible to use aspirin for this purpose. I was quite surprised that several of the hits from my search were instructions/suggestions of the most effective way to dispatch yourself. :confused:

Anyway, this site has an interesting set of information on the topic.

From a program I watched a long time ago, deaths from acetominophen/paracetomol overdose are often accidental, purely because people don't realise how easy it is to cause serious liver damage just by taking a lot of it in a relatively short time.

There are so many ways to do damage to yourself if you really are that way inclined that I feel restricting the number of tablets you can get in one purchase is a slightly silly (i.e., ineffective) attempt at restricting someone's ability to deliberately harm themselves. Yet another example of professional practice that is based on little empirical evidence of effectiveness.

Bud the Wiser Dec 5th 2012 12:49 pm

Do UK cafes and restaurants give free refills on coffee and soft drinks these days? I know they never used to, I just wondered if times had changed. I always resented paying for another cuppa after getting used to the free refills in the US and I could never understand why the concept hadn't taken off in the UK.

cheers Dec 5th 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10417238)
Do UK cafes and restaurants give free refills on coffee and soft drinks these days? I know they never used to, I just wondered if times had changed. I always resented paying for another cuppa after getting used to the free refills in the US and I could never understand why the concept hadn't taken off in the UK.

I think there is a simple answer...why should they? It use to be in the UK the retailers had a take it or leave it attitude whereas in the US the retailers always wanted to stay ahead of the competition, so in this case, free refills.

Cheers

Perth Dec 5th 2012 3:04 pm

Please forgive me for butting in here. I have been reading the 50s and 60s forum for weeks and I am still only at mid 2010!!! I wanted to let you know that you have all been a source of inspiration and encouragement for me, and also to ask, since you are all (or mostly) established back home, whether you still entertain johnny-come latelys such as myself, who needs some (ok lots of) support. Will obviously keep reading right up until I catch up regardless. Won't go into detail about me just now but going back in 2016 and already planning:thumbsup:

rebs Dec 5th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10417202)

There are so many ways to do damage to yourself if you really are that way inclined that I feel restricting the number of tablets you can get in one purchase is a slightly silly (i.e., ineffective) attempt at restricting someone's ability to deliberately harm themselves. Yet another example of professional practice that is based on little empirical evidence of effectiveness.

I know correlation does not prove causation and all that, but the stuff I looked at (briefly) did suggest that the numbers of suicides (using these kinds of over the counter drugs) had reduced in the years immediately following the restriction, so I'm not sure I would necessarily call the restriction 'ineffective'..

You are right - there is a scary amount of stuff out there with 'how to' type info :(

dunroving Dec 5th 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10417436)
Please forgive me for butting in here. I have been reading the 50s and 60s forum for weeks and I am still only at mid 2010!!! I wanted to let you know that you have all been a source of inspiration and encouragement for me, and also to ask, since you are all (or mostly) established back home, whether you still entertain johnny-come latelys such as myself, who needs some (ok lots of) support. Will obviously keep reading right up until I catch up regardless. Won't go into detail about me just now but going back in 2016 and already planning:thumbsup:

Sure, just let us know when you get to late 2011, and we'll answer any questions you have. ;)

But seriously, everyone here is really helpful, especially if you've done at least a little to help yourself. Actually, I'm sometimes amazed at the patience of some members - personally it bugs me when people ask questions that have already been answered in threads that are on the front page. :banghead:

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 5th 2012 3:21 pm

Perth, you are very welcome here, I'm so glad you are reading old posts, it will help you understanding more about us and what we have gone through, plus I'm sure it will answer some questions you have...

I know people here will be more than happy to help you, but chances are we will need to know more about you at that time, age, family, pets etc... Whenever you are ready just start typing... 4 years is a long time but its good to start planning...

lf1 Dec 5th 2012 3:39 pm

Johnny-come-latelys always welcome. I was one myself. c 2009 was when I decided to return to home and did so in 2012. I lurked for a while and read all the 50's & 60's posts, even although I was underage at the time.:lol:
Then I joined in when things were common knowledge among friends and OH's firm. 2016 will be here before you know it and the sooner you can start to prepare the better off you will be. Says me who has been known to procastinate on stuff.:lol:

Good luck and look forward to hearing more from you, when you are ready.

Perth Dec 5th 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded to this johnny-come-lately lol! I so appreciate your welcome. I have posted a couple of times elsewhere and received some great information on where I might live in the UK (since I don't have family outside of London...WAAAAY too expensive), and also about claiming benefits, including US social security. But what I didn't find was the kind of camaraderie and emotional support I have been reading here -as well as just how much fun you were all having...and I wanted in on it :rofl:

Been in the US (Florida) for over 30 years, with a couple of years back in the UK in the late 80's. Married 21 years, one daughter, 20 years. She started the bug in me of wanting to go back when she became enamoured with Dr. Who. This was about a year ago. At that time, she thought she might want to go and live in the UK, and as we talked about it for a bit, and went ahead and applied for her UK passport, I started to like the idea for myself more and more. Of course, now she is not sure if she might want to move there, or stay here, or maybe go to Israel. So we are planning on going without her and letting her take the time to decide. We will take a trip over in about 2 years when she has finished nursing school to look things over.

Funny thing this...it's been about 6 months since this whole things started, and now I think about going back constantly. In fact, whenever I sit down to read the first forum I have to make sure I have a tissue or two nearby :o But in all reality, the number one reason I have for wanting to move back is healthcare security. Especially since my husband is 12 years older than me. He is the picture of health, whereas I am not exactly, but our plan is to move when he is 70 and not a year older.

I have made one British friend here who is also planning on moving back. She owns a British store in town and I love to go over and have a proper English tea with her and a natter. We understand each other like no one else can. She's thinking of up and moving in a year's time, back to Sheffield, although she wants to eventually move to Costa del Sol. I will miss her terribly.

Something really hit me just the other day. I thought I had left the UK behind me, but in reality I had spend the last 30 years or so doing things in the British way, being British in the way I thought about things, watching things British...Keeping up Appearances, Faulty Towers, Inspector Morse, etc...and my daughter had grown up watching these things with me. I never realised that I WAS being British all along. No wonder I felt like I could never quite fit in!

In any case, I now feel I have an identity AT LAST! And I love it! I can't wait to visit and explore. Thankfully, my husband, a world traveler himself, is all for it and excited to get there too. I am hoping my daughter will move with us, but if not, we will always be a plane ride a way...whether we are here in the US or not. And if she does go to Israel, we will be 4 1/2 hours away instead of 12 1/2. Thank you so much for listening! I am honoured to be here and look forward to catching up (eventually :rofl:)

~Monique
PS: Origin of perthhomeschool: I home schooled my daughter and the name came from an absolutely idyllic summer in Perth, Ontario, where I helped an old family friend build her house.