British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

danielhfreeman Jun 23rd 2017 5:13 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Hi
I'm a newbie but love watching Coronation Street with the Rovers!
On Monday I am moving back to the UK after my (difficult) divorce...
Hey ho...
Life goes on.

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 23rd 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by danielhfreeman (Post 12278792)
Hi
I'm a newbie but love watching Coronation Street with the Rovers!
On Monday I am moving back to the UK after my (difficult) divorce...
Hey ho...
Life goes on.

Lucky You... I wish I was going with you...

danielhfreeman Jun 23rd 2017 8:50 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12279117)
Lucky You... I wish I was going with you...

Hey!
Thanks for the reply - if you can fit in my case you are more than welcome:thumbup:
I'm running out of time - just a few days now and I have so much still to do:ohmy:

Derrygal Jun 25th 2017 1:53 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by danielhfreeman (Post 12278792)
Hi
I'm a newbie but love watching Coronation Street with the Rovers!
On Monday I am moving back to the UK after my (difficult) divorce...
Hey ho...
Life goes on.

Hi! Welcome to BE!

Just wondering how long you lived in the US and what part of the UK you are moving back to? Hope things work out for you - all the best!

Perth Jun 28th 2017 8:35 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by danielhfreeman (Post 12278792)
Hi
I'm a newbie but love watching Coronation Street with the Rovers!
On Monday I am moving back to the UK after my (difficult) divorce...
Hey ho...
Life goes on.

Hello and welcome! Where are you heading to? Best of luck :thumbsup:

Perth Jul 11th 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Fellow <ahem> oldies, worried about coming back to an NHS in shambles? Don't be: we have had nothing but sterling service, speedy from appt to scripts. From GP to specialist NP, one week. And all given with a smile and a few chuckles too. The NHS even managed to send me my medical certificate exemption card in a week also. This kind of service is unheard of in the US private health care system. I'm sure if you are coming from Canada or Australia where you have a decent health care system in place you might find a fault here or there. Also probably depends on where in the UK you relocate to. But as for us, we are pleased as punch :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Jul 11th 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12291931)
Fellow <ahem> oldies, worried about coming back to an NHS in shambles? Don't be: we have had nothing but sterling service, speedy from appt to scripts. From GP to specialist NP, one week. And all given with a smile and a few chuckles too. The NHS even managed to send me my medical certificate exemption card in a week also. This kind of service is unheard of in the US private health care system. I'm sure if you are coming from Canada or Australia where you have a decent health care system in place you might find a fault here or there. Also probably depends on where in the UK you relocate to. But as for us, we are pleased as punch :thumbsup:

Don't understand your comment about the US system. It may be your experience but it certainly isn't mine. If I want to see a specialist I normally do so within a day or so...if urgent same day...same with a GP. Scans, x rays etc same day or next. Elective surgery within the week. A few years ago I was on my way to the ER...called my specialist...he called the hospital. When I arrived the medics were waiting at the entrance for me...took me straight through to see the doctors.

feelbritish Jul 12th 2017 7:24 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12291931)
Fellow <ahem> oldies, worried about coming back to an NHS in shambles? Don't be: we have had nothing but sterling service, speedy from appt to scripts. From GP to specialist NP, one week. And all given with a smile and a few chuckles too. The NHS even managed to send me my medical certificate exemption card in a week also. This kind of service is unheard of in the US private health care system. I'm sure if you are coming from Canada or Australia where you have a decent health care system in place you might find a fault here or there. Also probably depends on where in the UK you relocate to. But as for us, we are pleased as punch :thumbsup:

We also have had wonderful service here in Buckinghamshire. Might be a bit taxing phoning for an appointment sometimes but we always get one. The people moaning should move overseas for a bit then when they return they may appreciate what they have!

Perth Jul 12th 2017 8:09 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12291992)
Don't understand your comment about the US system. It may be your experience but it certainly isn't mine. If I want to see a specialist I normally do so within a day or so...if urgent same day...same with a GP. Scans, x rays etc same day or next. Elective surgery within the week. A few years ago I was on my way to the ER...called my specialist...he called the hospital. When I arrived the medics were waiting at the entrance for me...took me straight through to see the doctors.

Sorry a bit of a sweeping statement. My experience was in Florida. Could be better elsewhere of course. Glad you are getting the care you need :thumbs_up:

Perth Jul 12th 2017 8:10 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 12292334)
We also have had wonderful service here in Buckinghamshire. Might be a bit taxing phoning for an appointment sometimes but we always get one. The people moaning should move overseas for a bit then when they return they may appreciate what they have!

:goodpost:

mikelincs Jul 12th 2017 9:51 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12292370)
:goodpost:

We have an on-line service which allowed my wife to log on Sunday evening, and get an appointment for Monday 9:30 am, excellent service.

Fish n Chips 56 Jul 12th 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I must say in the past 41 years I've had nothing but great care from doctors in the USA.

Last year a man I've known for 20+ years who is covered by Kaiser had to wait 4 months for hip surgery, I was so surprised to see this is how KP takes care of its customers, It was disappointing and really made me wonder, He was walking around for 4 months with a zimmer frame if you can call it that, he really struggled, I couldn't believe he was still working, it brought tears to my eyes, people here especially business men in their 50s do not usually struggle like this. (he works for a family business).

Up to this point Id only heard good things about KP and had considered going with them a few years ago.

All I hear from Brits is the American Healthcare System is better than the HNS, and Id usually agree about the care portion, but after witnessing this I have my doubts, then again some Brits think everything American is better, many are clueless.

All that said I do think the American Healthcare is far too expensive and complex, its only made that way to line the pockets of the wall street connections that control us.

America brags how great it is, but when it comes to covering everyone, it fails miserably, Insurance prices are rising fast and I wonder how long I will be able to afford it, It doesn't look good.

I'm not saying the HNS is better I know it has its problems too, I do think some locations in the UK are better than others, some areas are overloaded.

Mallory Jul 16th 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12291931)
Fellow <ahem> oldies, worried about coming back to an NHS in shambles? Don't be: we have had nothing but sterling service, speedy from appt to scripts. From GP to specialist NP, one week. And all given with a smile and a few chuckles too. The NHS even managed to send me my medical certificate exemption card in a week also. This kind of service is unheard of in the US private health care system. I'm sure if you are coming from Canada or Australia where you have a decent health care system in place you might find a fault here or there. Also probably depends on where in the UK you relocate to. But as for us, we are pleased as punch :thumbsup:

I hope you get excellent treatment for your "grass is greener" symptoms! :rofl:

Derrygal Jul 16th 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12295597)
I hope you get excellent treatment for your "grass is greener" symptoms! :rofl:

There's no need to be quite so cynical, is there? Perth was speaking of how she has found the NHS since she has been back living in the UK. As others have mentioned, some parts of the country seem to be better served by the NHS than others. I realize it isn't perfect, but let's face it, neither is the US healthcare system (or rather lack of it). It's all about money here, if you have the money or a really good plan provided by your employer, you can have good health-care, but if you don't, you're up the creek without a paddle and goodness knows what will happen in the future if the Republicans try and push their latest bill through.

Fish n Chips 56 Jul 16th 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12295597)
I hope you get excellent treatment for your "grass is greener" symptoms! :rofl:

And what about your rose coloured glasses, C-Mon Perth has no reason to lie.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.