British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui Nov 21st 2011 6:49 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9745145)
It was great and very well done I thought. I loved Ian as a woman doing the hoovering, he almost passes for a woman too. :rofl::rofl:

Me too. Hilarious. There are a couple of new characters to me... we're so far behind in Canada.

jasper123 Nov 21st 2011 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9745145)
It was great and very well done I thought. I loved Ian as a woman doing the hoovering, he almost passes for a woman too. :rofl::rofl:

Wow lucky you meeting Queen and also your fame by association client too. ;)

Barb, thanks for posting that clip, I saw it a few days ago on TV and thought it was absolutely wonderful, and as you say so well done too, and great editing too.

cheers Nov 21st 2011 2:50 pm

Drive carefully

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening....html?image=15

cheers Nov 21st 2011 3:01 pm

Too much trouble for me to find Location, L,L. so here is what is offered for the average price in England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e....html?image=10

cheers Nov 21st 2011 3:04 pm

......and further more, news that housing prices are falling in the UK. I'll check back in about 10 years to see how they are doing then.:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...our-years.html

bandrui Nov 21st 2011 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9745920)
Too much trouble for me to find Location, L,L. so here is what is offered for the average price in England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e....html?image=10

Interesting Cheers. (and the prices coming down.... as we thought they would. ;)) I have just found out that you can do prop0erty searches on Rightmove by area duh and have been looking at the Cotswolds as an area. I have been surprised at the good deals available in what is a popular area. :sunglasses:

mikelincs Nov 22nd 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9746803)
Interesting Cheers. (and the prices coming down.... as we thought they would. ;)) I have just found out that you can do prop0erty searches on Rightmove by area duh and have been looking at the Cotswolds as an area. I have been surprised at the good deals available in what is a popular area. :sunglasses:

A lot of this is because the banks are asking for something like 60% deposits, which puts the properties out of so many peoples reach, same all over the country.

sallysimmons Nov 23rd 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9746803)

I wish that would start happening in my chosen area. Lake District prices seem as high as ever. I suppose all the second homes inflate the prices.

Celticspirit Nov 23rd 2011 2:31 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9749155)
I wish that would start happening in my chosen area. Lake District prices seem as high as ever. I suppose all the second homes inflate the prices.

.....and sadly Belfast is rated second to London :-(

bandrui Nov 23rd 2011 6:37 am

I revived the Location thread and posted some stats there on these 2 areas. :)

cheers Nov 24th 2011 6:25 pm

We went by the local Best Buy shop to see if a line was started and it had. Some people had brought a sofa bed and were sleeping on it. DS was game for joining the line but changed his mind thinking the item he wanted would already be gone.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 24th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9752486)
We went by the local Best Buy shop to see if a line was started and it had. Some people had brought a sofa bed and were sleeping on it. DS was game for joining the line but changed his mind thinking the item he wanted would already be gone.

:lol: They showed them on the news last night here, they had tents and sleeping bags, and the local Best buy is going to screen a movie for them this evening on the wall and they even brought in a porta potty. All for a cheap flat screen TV :rofl:

Beedubya Nov 24th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9752632)
:lol: They showed them on the news last night here, they had tents and sleeping bags, and the local Best buy is going to screen a movie for them this evening on the wall and they even brought in a porta potty. All for a cheap flat screen TV :rofl:

Oh thanks for the explanation Pauline, so it is some kind of super sale? I thought Cheers had gone doolally. :lol:

Celticspirit Nov 25th 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9752809)
Oh thanks for the explanation Pauline, so it is some kind of super sale? I thought Cheers had gone doolally. :lol:

I am not sure what the bargains are but having read your reports we just had to drive by our local Best Buy after Thanksgiving dinner! There were tons of cars in the parking lot and people were all around the building mostly in sleeping bags and tents. Ran by Taret on the way home we saw about 50 people outside Target too. I am happy we only buy for the grandkids and always educational toys.

cheers Nov 25th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9752809)

You are right on both observations!:)

On the Friday after Thanksgiving day we have big sales. I think it is to get people buying for Christmas. The prices that are shown in the newspapers are amazing and so people queue up all night. This year they are doing something different and they are opening at midnight in some cases and 4am in other cases. (ask Brad and Derek for more information:D)
You may remember a few years ago that someone was trampled to death when they opened the doors and the crowds went wild to get in and secure their prized purchase. I don't know if the store had to pay compensation to the victims family on that one?

So Best Buy is advertising a 46" TV for £128.38 for starters.

About my operation. This is a first for me and I'm amazed that even though they made a 7 inch cut (it gets longer each day) they didn't cover it with anything. No bandages, no dressing, no nothing so I think they used a super clue to seal the cut. They mentioned stitches but I don't think they used them, anyway it looks scary so I'm glad I have to look in a mirror and it is out of sight in the back.