British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Nov 9th 2011 4:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

So you know, petrol is $8.17 per US gallon in the Lake District. I think it is $3.44 locally in the US. The difference in price gets you free medical care in the UK.

Based on £1.349 per litre

cheers Nov 9th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9722975)
From my memory, I believe the deal when I bought it was $249, with a $50 Target gift certificate, so basically the same. It's a great little notebook to take with you on w/e trips, etc.

I can get 5% off if I have a Target account but then I can ad to that the 6% sales tax.
I will use it upstairs in the home and occasionally on trips. This will replace the Iphone which is too small.

Cheers

sallysimmons Nov 9th 2011 7:05 pm

I won't give away any spoilers, but I just finished watching season 2 of Downton Abbey and I am so sad that it's over. Loved the plots and the romance and especially loved Matthew Crawley :lol:

There's a Christmas special coming and then season 3 won't start until next fall. Hopefully I'll be home by then!

jasper123 Nov 9th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9714312)
Have you tried what I do - take a book with you :) Then whether you are sat at the bar or at a table you have something to occupy you. Often a good icebreaker when people get curious and ask what you're reading, and if no-one does talk to you then you don't look out of place, you just look like you're just having a quiet beer and a read :thumbup:

Pollyana ----- WOW thats not a bad Idea of yours ---- thank you much, I may just try that one day ----- but first I have to get up the courage to walk through that Pub door :ohmy::unsure:

jasper123 Nov 9th 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 9714377)
Rodney, I can relate to that alone in a crowd feeling and certainly people do seem to be in their little gangs and not talking to outsiders. There are differences in pubs too and it may take trial and error (no, not all in one day :beer: :beer::beer::beer:). I usually sit at the bar and talk to the bar person.

Rodney, I know you not a boozer, nor me, a couple pub visits a month and a couple pints / visit, besides it can get expensive.
I found a bunch of people that do enjoy a couple drinks and a hearty chat are people in CAMRA, Campaign for Real Ale. Here in Norfolk they have 1 meeting / month at different pubs, combining a meeting and a social. Impression might be they are heavy drinkers but truth is most people are there to enjoy the beer and be sociable rather than drink a lot, and drivers control their intake. Sure, they have pub crawls from time to time but they not compulsory. In my experience there is no eternal buying of rounds either, and the people are decent folks. Here is a link to your local branch. http://www.psehcamra.org.uk/Events.php You do not need to be a member to go.

John, thanks a lot for this link, I never knew it exsisted, I will look into it, see there are possibilities even for quite shy people like me,

Celticspirit Nov 10th 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9722368)
OK folks wish me luck, I could do with some!! :fingerscrossed:

I am off to London soon 3 trains, first to Crewe, then Virgin to Milton Keyes, then another train line to destination, interview tomorrow for 2 separate jobs.

I have to drop my car off this morning at the garage before I go as it's playing up dreadfully and keeps cutting out and it's VERY scary when it does, it does it at lights and slowly going around a corner but I am VERY scared it will do it in heavy traffic, oh and I also need 2 new tyres. :sneaky:

Sooooo if I get this job (I KNOW I will :fingerscrossed:) the car will be going, as quite frankly I can't afford to run one, and as the jobs are residential I won't need a car.

So time to pack up my baby (my laptop) and head off down to that foreign land. :ohmy: I was going to leave it at home as it's heavy to lug with a suitcase too but I just can't bear to be apart from my baby. :lol:

Wishing you the best of everything Bee!

cheers Nov 10th 2011 1:48 am

So Bee, what happened????

charleygirl Nov 10th 2011 7:45 am

Just catching up with you Bee, aw good luck hope it went well!
My car was in the garage yesterday... weird some days it would start perfectly fine others not... last straw was being stuck in the middle of know where on Sunday...took 15 mins to start! Anyway all sorted and I asked the owner of the garage for a break on the price for cash and he did, got no receipt but I dont care, it was 50 quid and he replaced a brake light, cleaned the carburator and did diagnostics and reset computer etc. So far so good.
My second hand washing machine is playing up now though......always something.

Pollyana Nov 10th 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9723880)
Pollyana ----- WOW thats not a bad Idea of yours ---- thank you much, I may just try that one day ----- but first I have to get up the courage to walk through that Pub door :ohmy::unsure:

Give it a go :) Have your book under your arm or in your hand so it looks like you plan to read, deep breath, up to the bar, order a drink, look around for a seat while its being poured. If the first pub doesn't "work", down the drink, try a different one next time!
Believe me as a not-so-young witch who often drinks alone I do know how daunting it is to try a pub on your own, but it gets easier and eventually you find you have a few that you know really suit you :) I always carry my Kindle or a good book in my rucksack now so I know if I fancy a drink I can dive into a pub and I have my stalwart literary friends there to keep me company :thumbup:

Beedubya Nov 11th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by srqtoldn (Post 9722465)
Hello Barb

I have only posted a couple of times on this forum and you picked up on it the first time, but I was too caught up by then in my stress of decisions, moving etc. to contribute. I am now in the UK since last Thursday and am in North London. I wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow in your interviews and I read earlier that you were staying until Friday in London. I was going to say if you wanted to meet up tomorrow evening or late afternoon after your interviews I could get the underground into central London.

If you wanted to message me that would be great as I haven't yet found my way to doing private messaging.

Anyhow all the best and I would love to meet you.

Regards.

Sue

Aww Sue, sorry have only just seen your message, although I have brought my laptop there is no wifi in rooms so have had to haul the laptop down to the common area to use the internet and haven't been bothered to be honest as I have been soooooooo tired................I think it is mental as much as physical..........:sneaky:

Tomorrow I am meeting up with my niece and her partner in Battersea Park as he is in some kind of marathon thingie, then I head off home to recover..........but :fingerscrossed: I get this job and I will get to meet you and everybody and maybe we can set up some kind of welcome home committee to meet newcomers home at Heathrow. :lol:

cheers Nov 11th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9728041)
Aww Sue, sorry have only just seen your message, although I have brought my laptop there is no wifi in rooms so have had to haul the laptop down to the common area to use the internet and haven't been bothered to be honest as I have been soooooooo tired................I think it is mental as much as physical..........:sneaky:

Tomorrow I am meeting up with my niece and her partner in Battersea Park as he is in some kind of marathon thingie, then I head off home to recover..........but :fingerscrossed: I get this job and I will get to meet you and everybody and maybe we can set up some kind of welcome home committee to meet newcomers home at Heathrow. :lol:

Thats it?
After you had us all awake at night thinking about you.;)

bandrui Nov 12th 2011 6:51 am

Bee, really sending good thoughts your way and hoping the job comes through. It's usually hard to know too much after the interview but what was your feeling? Do you think it went well? How was the trip? Did you enjoy yourself?

Time to recover now after all that travel. I 've just done 2 round-trips to Vancouver to ddo a couple of textile workshops. Lugged bags on so many buses, skytrains and ferries that I'm in recovery mode myself. :lol:

Beedubya Nov 12th 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9728643)
Bee, really sending good thoughts your way and hoping the job comes through. It's usually hard to know too much after the interview but what was your feeling? Do you think it went well? How was the trip? Did you enjoy yourself?

Time to recover now after all that travel. I 've just done 2 round-trips to Vancouver to ddo a couple of textile workshops. Lugged bags on so many buses, skytrains and ferries that I'm in recovery mode myself. :lol:

Thank you Linda, well I thought I had done quite well until about an hour after, then all the doubts crept in. :ohmy::sneaky::frown:

Beedubya Nov 12th 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9728166)
Thats it?
After you had us all awake at night thinking about you.;)

OK OK OK details!!

Train fare was £73!!!!! Took under 3 hours to get here, staying in a hotel I got off last minute rooms.com for £42 per night, not bad and recently refurbished in West Croydon, 20 minute walk to the railway station and half an hour to London Victoria.

I got here about 3pm on Wednesday and spent the rest of the day getting my bearings and learning how to get to interview in New Malden, next day was interview as above email to Linda, then I was supposed to go and see my niece, but the interview took 2 hours (!!!) as obviously they wanted to know I wasn't going to run away again to Oz and even to me my CV looks flaky, so it was all getting too late by then, so change of plan I went into London for an hour on the train as New Malden train line is to Waterloo so wanted to check that out, got lost coming back and ended up in East Croydon duh, soooo very multicural here, will post pics when I get home, but let's just say it is a cross of Caribbean, African, Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan and oh yes some white British too. :lol: Very vibey place with fruit shops with plantains and yams open until 10pm at night and bright lights everywhere and Bob Marley music in the background. :rofl:

Yesterday I went into London, bit of a disaster, had a lie in as I was exhausted got there about 12'ish and decided to do one of those open top bus tours for £27 the man told me the ticket was good for 48 hours and included a free boat trip HOWEVER the protesters were in town and lots of diversions mean the bus was very sloooow, I hopped off the bus to go and see Buckingham Palace and wow the protesters were there all hippy types chanting and banging drums hoping to get HM out on the balcony, don't know, but they were doing strange dances and the like and the smell of pot almost got me high. :rofl:

Back on the bus and off we go again, so I get off at St Paul's Cathedral at 4.10pm due to delays and it closed at 4pm, so I was not very happy. But the guides let you in for a quick look around so that will be on my wish list for sure next time, SIMPLY STUNNING!! The whole cathedral is surrounded by tents now like a tent city even as you may have seen on the news, and I sure saw some strange sights and people and more getting high on the smell in the air. :o

Came out went to get something to eat and stood at bus stop for next bus only to find out they finished at 4.30pm in the winter, soooo I need to do some homework next time!! I WAS going to go into London again today to use the ticket again but have now found out it's the Lord Mayors show and lots of streets are closed, so folks it pays to do your homework, I DIDN'T!!

So I am just meeting up with niece and baby today and watch her partner in some kind of marathon thing in Battersea Park then off home to Wilmslow.

I have walked sooo much these past few days I think I may have lost weight.

I am sitting here in the hotel foyer now listening to Polynesian music, I got talking last night to a few of these young blokes outside when I was having a cig, seems they are all from Fiji, as I knew they were from round those parts having lived in Oz for so long and I asked. Apparently they were recruited into the British Army and after serving 4 years they get a British Passport and can stay here, these guys (about 25 of them) all work for the railways and at the moment are doing up the London stations in readiness for the Olympics, some have been here 11 years!!! They said the money is fantastic and they would have no chance of earning like this in Fiji, so I thought that was interesting re employment in the UK, they said the company employs them as Fijiaans are known for being hard workers.......

Well they are all out there now playing their music and it feels like I am in Hawaii again, staying in a hotel with *that* music in the background, only difference is when I look out of the window it is grey and raining. :(

New Malden is OK, not great, but not a bad little town, the developments are both OK as are the flats, both 1 bedroom on the 3rd floor, but none as nice as the one I worked and lived in in Frome, but either will be an improvement on my present position.............oh well if I get the job I get it, if not I will just keep plugging away but maybe just come down for a day trip next time.......I have found really cheap fares on Virgin BUT you have to book a month or two in advance so not much use when you only hear a week before an interview........it's next week.

I got a really nice pair of leather gloves in Primark yesterday for £7 and will complete the outfit today by buying a coat, 2 reasons, I need one as my Oz stuff is just not warm enough for UK conditions and two as my niece does not allow smokers to touch the baby and the jacket I have with me I have worn a few times :ohmy: all clothes must be freshly laundered if you are a smoker :unsure: so after I have gotten ready this morning, I will put on a quit smoking patch and clean unpolluted, untainted clothes and meet up with them, spend a few hours and then as I leave I will rip off patch and have a cigarette, I find this really controlling behaviour and don't like it one bit, but it's her baby and her prerogative..........:rolleyes:

Oh and my car.............don't ask, but it is not looking good, the garage man phoned me on Wednesday afternoon, haven't heard since but will do so in the next few hours...................gulp................:eek:

jasper123 Nov 12th 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9728041)

Good luck tomorrow Barb on your job interviews, sooooo hope you get one of them, I too would like to meet you one day, so if you do live in London then its a short hour and half train ride to the smoke for me,
It would be great if you dont need your car anymore, I know that a car can be very expensive to run, with the super high price of petrol and with a used car you always have the worry of additional expense when the car breaks down, and the car insurance aint cheap either especially with no ----- no claims bonus,
Again good luck :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: