British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Nov 1st 2011 2:02 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9707217)
Doc Martin had his final show of this season tonight, it was terrific ----- now let me tell you all about it -------- only teasing :ohmy:

....not......Rodney......we have restarted Season 2 AGAIN! We don't live by tv but have always looked forward to Doc Martin.
I was married to a doctor for twenty five years....British trained......can you imagine that bedside manner....he makes me nervous.....especially as he hates dogs..... :-(

cheers Nov 1st 2011 2:42 am

Coincidence you talking about films because we went to see the new Rowan Atkinson film "Johnny England" tonight.

mikelincs Nov 1st 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9707303)
My Aussie mate and myself went to the cinema here in New Jersey a few years ago to watch the British movie "Death At A Funeral". It was hysterically funny, a real laugh-out loud movie and I highly recommend it:

Fully agree, one of the funniest films for a long time.

The TV show 'Death in Paradise' is absolute CRAP, it really needs to sort out if it's a comedy or thriller, watched the first 30 mins of the first episode and had to switch it off.. it was so dire..

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 1st 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9707211)
John your right, I guess I only drink Stella cause its Mum,s favorite drink, and we seem to get a nice big box of the stuff for quite cheap at lidles,
but Im gonna look around for some nice dark ale, I dont go to pubs so I have to buy it by the carton like 12 or 18, I do like bargains :)
And thanks for posting your picture, I think I have started a thing going here when I posted my Pic, so maybe just maybe others will post there Pic too, it makes it real nice to be able to put a face to the characters and personalities that we all have grown to love on here :)
And you look damn good in that pub with a Pint in your hand :)

C-mon Rodney, pubs are the best place to meet new friends, surely there is a local for people our age.

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 1st 2011 8:43 am

My Aussie mate and myself went to the cinema here in New Jersey a few years ago to watch the British movie "Death At A Funeral". It was hysterically funny, a real laugh-out loud movie and I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Funera...0106981&sr=1-1 (UK site)

http://www.amazon.com/Death-at-Funer...0107247&sr=8-2 (US site)

(You can also dowload the films directly from the Amazon websites, although I still prefer to buy the DVDs).

There was an American re-make of this film with black comedy actors Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan. I tried to watch it when I was on a flight to see how it compared with the British version....it was so awful I gave up after about 20 minutes!

I totally agree, the British version was the best, it was difficult to watch the American version after seeing the UK version and I'm a big fan of Chris Rock, I found it funny that the little guy was in both films, its a very funny film, lets face it we could all use a good laugh.

curleytops Nov 1st 2011 10:13 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Funera...0106981&sr=1-1 (UK site)

http://www.amazon.com/Death-at-Funer...0107247&sr=8-2 (US site)

(You can also dowload the films directly from the Amazon websites, although I still prefer to buy the DVDs).

There was an American re-make of this film with black comedy actors Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan. I tried to watch it when I was on a flight to see how it compared with the British version....it was so awful I gave up after about 20 minutes!

I'd definitely recommend the British version it's absolutely hilarious! Another good one was "Keeping Mum" (Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Patrick Swayze and the old Dowager Countess herself, Maggie Smith - positively brilliant :thumbsup:

Englishmum Nov 1st 2011 8:06 pm

It just so happens to be one of my sisters' birthdays on 6th November and I was wondering what to get for her. I'm happy to say that some of the latests posts have given me some inspiration!

I went to the Amazon.co.uk website as I thought she may like the "Death At A Funeral" DVD, so that went into the 'save for later' box.

Then I looked up the film recommended here with Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson and Kristen Scott-Thomas, "Keeping Mum" - I haven't seen it but it looks good (I'll be buying my own copy!) and that went into the box.

Then I spotted that the website suggested another comedy film "Saving Grace" with Brenda Blethyn and Craig Ferguson (I didn't know he was an actor, this Scot has a late-night TV comedy show on the American CBS channel on weeknights).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saving-Grace...xgy_d_h__img_b

That went into the box too.....I'm ready for the three DVDs to be dispatched to my sister for the grand total of 10.27 pounds!

Now the interesting thing is... DOC MARTIN fans read this....!!!

Scrolling down on the above link for 'Saving Grace' is a review (the first one) dated 6 Oct 2007.....Martin Clunes also appears in this film in his first, original role as Doc Martin! ;) :lol:

....."...in my opinion, Martin Clunes is brilliant as the local cannabis smoking GP Doc Martin!"...."filmed on location, in and around, Port Isaac" and .."the film spawned a sequel, to explain how he became a GP in Cornwall"..... :D

It might be worth buying the DVD as it's only 2.99 pounds!

J.JsOH Nov 1st 2011 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9707211)
and we seem to get a nice big box of the stuff for quite cheap at lidles, so I have to buy it by the carton like 12 or 18, I do like bargains :)

Getting a low price is a very valid reason.

For low pub prices the pub chain Wetherspoons is good for beer and for meals too. When we first moved over here I would go to Wetherspoons for breakfast of bacon bap and tea in order to use their free WiFi.
In Portsmouth I see there are Isambard Kingdom Brunell in Guildhall Walk, John Jaques in Fratton Road, Wetherspoons at 80 London Rd, North End.

Looking aroung Pompey to locate these pubs brings back memories of the names. I joined and later was discharged from the RN in Pompey and I also worked there in the Dockyard and in Gosport and I can clearly remember riding the Gosport ferry. On Google maps I see the Dockyard gate is there as ever and also the gates to HMS Nelson (I walked in through them to join and out again 16 years later) on Queen Street. I used to like to walk through Old Portsmouth by the old walls of the harbour and on to Southsea Common Esplanade.

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 2nd 2011 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9709057)
It just so happens to be one of my sisters' birthdays on 6th November and I was wondering what to get for her. I'm happy to say that some of the latests posts have given me some inspiration!

I went to the Amazon.co.uk website as I thought she may like the "Death At A Funeral" DVD, so that went into the 'save for later' box.

Then I looked up the film recommended here with Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson and Kristen Scott-Thomas, "Keeping Mum" - I haven't seen it but it looks good (I'll be buying my own copy!) and that went into the box.

Then I spotted that the website suggested another comedy film "Saving Grace" with Brenda Blethyn and Craig Ferguson (I didn't know he was an actor, this Scot has a late-night TV comedy show on the American CBS channel on weeknights).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saving-Grace...xgy_d_h__img_b

That went into the box too.....I'm ready for the three DVDs to be dispatched to my sister for the grand total of 10.27 pounds!

Now the interesting thing is... DOC MARTIN fans read this....!!!

Scrolling down on the above link for 'Saving Grace' is a review (the first one) dated 6 Oct 2007.....Martin Clunes also appears in this film in his first, original role as Doc Martin! ;) :lol:

....."...in my opinion, Martin Clunes is brilliant as the local cannabis smoking GP Doc Martin!"...."filmed on location, in and around, Port Isaac" and .."the film spawned a sequel, to explain how he became a GP in Cornwall"..... :D

It might be worth buying the DVD as it's only 2.99 pounds!

Keeping Mum is Great, well worth buying.

Martin Clunes in Saving Grace absolutely true, in the movie he was Dr Martin Bamford, not Ellingham, Ive no idea why they changed the last name.

If you look at the credits of Doc Martin you will see Craig Fergusons name and Saving Grace named towards the end of every show.

Craig Ferguson has done plenty of acting, I remember him best from The Drew Carey Show as Mr Wick, he was brilliant, Ive been a fan of the late show since Tom Snyder did it, I love Fergusons late late version, its the closest thing to true British humour made by an American TV company.

10 quid for all those movies, I think you did well.

J.JsOH Nov 2nd 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9707814)
C-mon Rodney, pubs are the best place to meet new friends, surely there is a local for people our age.

True. There has been a culture shift with a new marketing approach by pub chains.
The pubco's such as Wetherspoons and others offer hot drinks and decent meals, family areas. Mornings and afternoons these places are often populated by non-boozing active older folks on tea / coffee and meals, even over 60's specials.There are a wealth of others to chat with, if you break the ice.

Another place I found people in social situations is walking groups. There is an effort to get people to be active. Here in Norfolk there is a program of scheduled walks daily all over the county, led by trained guides, covered by insurance in event of accident, degrees of effort from 1 mile to 6 miles, town and country. All for free, all you have to do is show up.
I recently joined in with a group that started nearby my home. There were all levels of fitness, go at own speed, and I was made most welcome, people wanted to chat.

sallysimmons Nov 2nd 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 9710448)

Another place I found people in social situations is walking groups. There is an effort to get people to be active. Here in Norfolk there is a program of scheduled walks daily all over the county, led by trained guides, covered by insurance in event of accident, degrees of effort from 1 mile to 6 miles, town and country. All for free, all you have to do is show up.
I recently joined in with a group that started nearby my home. There were all levels of fitness, go at own speed, and I was made most welcome, people wanted to chat.

My mum does this too - she walks in the Lake District with a group of ladies and has made some good friends.

Rodney, you need to find one of these groups - I know you would enjoy it. I am shy too and know how hard it is, but it's even more important for people like us to make an effort because otherwise we have a tendency to go into our shells.

jasper123 Nov 3rd 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9707415)
....not......Rodney......we have restarted Season 2 AGAIN! We don't live by tv but have always looked forward to Doc Martin.
I was married to a doctor for twenty five years....British trained......can you imagine that bedside manner....he makes me nervous.....especially as he hates dogs..... :-(

Celtic, I never even heard of Doc Martin till I came home, now I have watched two seasons and I am definitely hooked, I love his character and his wife too, she's funny too, and the policeman he is in a world of his own:)
You know how mater of fact Doc Martin is, you know serious, absolutely no sense of humor:) you just have to love him, now just a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to see him being interviewed on a daytime talk show on TV, he has a great personality in real life and he was smiling and laughing and being very funny, totally different when he's not playing the Doc character,

jasper123 Nov 3rd 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9707814)

Well Fish its the same old story, its not that I wouldn't like to go and have a nice pint in a Pub, I would love to actually, but as I have said before mate I cant bring myself to walk into a Pub on my own, I would feel out of place twiddling my thumbs and totally uncomfortable there ---- why? cause I wouldn't know any one in the Pub, and then I would be sipping my beer and looking around at all the people with there friends having a real good time,
and the more I look at all the happy faces, and hear all that wonderful laughter, then what does that do to this man (me) sitting all on his own? well Ill tell ya, it makes me feel so miserable and sad, a lot sadder then I was before I walked in the Pub thats for sure :(
Nice to see you again Pal,
Rodney.

jasper123 Nov 4th 2011 12:03 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 9709112)
Getting a low price is a very valid reason.

For low pub prices the pub chain Wetherspoons is good for beer and for meals too. When we first moved over here I would go to Wetherspoons for breakfast of bacon bap and tea in order to use their free WiFi.
In Portsmouth I see there are Isambard Kingdom Brunell in Guildhall Walk, John Jaques in Fratton Road, Wetherspoons at 80 London Rd, North End.

Looking aroung Pompey to locate these pubs brings back memories of the names. I joined and later was discharged from the RN in Pompey and I also worked there in the Dockyard and in Gosport and I can clearly remember riding the Gosport ferry. On Google maps I see the Dockyard gate is there as ever and also the gates to HMS Nelson (I walked in through them to join and out again 16 years later) on Queen Street. I used to like to walk through Old Portsmouth by the old walls of the harbour and on to Southsea Common Esplanade.

Yes John Wetherspoons are good for the pub food, me and Mum and her lady friend go there for lunch at times when we take a drive to the Village of Fareham, or the Village of Havent or the Village of Waterloovile,
I also worked in the Dockyard in early 70's like 71 to 73, I used to ride my bike to work along with hundreds of others, it sure was a site, there we all are riding through the main street at 6.30 in the morning to the Dockyard, ringing our bells and even talking to each other on way, Oh those were certainly the days werent they? :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jasper123 Nov 4th 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9710509)
My mum does this too - she walks in the Lake District with a group of ladies and has made some good friends.

Rodney, you need to find one of these groups - I know you would enjoy it. I am shy too and know how hard it is, but it's even more important for people like us to make an effort because otherwise we have a tendency to go into our shells.

Sally thanks for that, you make a lot of sense, I must admit after coming home and just a few months later my Sister passing away, I really havent felt too much like putting that effort into finding friends, or meeting new people, but I certainly did enjoy visiting Don and his wife Tippawan in Shopshire a few weeks ago, they are really nice people and I love Wellington, never been to that part of England before, in fact theres a whole lot of places in England that I havent been to ----- like most of it :frown:
Like many of us expats weve traveled the world but not seen much of our own native country.