British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Dec 24th 2011 4:00 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

For those of you interested in Chester here is the site that is update every few months with information on whats going on.

www.chesterrenaissance.co.uk

windsong Dec 24th 2011 5:08 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9804941)
This happy post made my heart smile :) I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the season and I understand just what you're saying about not celebrating here. I don't even have a tree this year.

My best friends were all together tonight and I'm sad about not being there. But hopefully next year!

Merry Christmas Rodney - and everyone. May all our dreams come true in 2012.

I'm the same - not a single Christmas decoration and no tree! The feeling is sort of like, "why bother"!

dontheturner Dec 24th 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9804940)
Jasper123....I am so glad to read the joy in

Dontheturner...I hope you and Tim have a lovely day. I do hope your eyes are improving..

Hello Avril - Thank you - and we both wish you lots of Seasons Greetings, and into the coming New Year. - Tim, being the Good Buddhist that she is, says, my eyes will get better, come what may. I had a letter from the area health authority, giving me the choice of where I go for consultation, prior to operation, but I want to wait, until the chance of snow has passed, before asking friends to transport me. - They are all of my generation - and worry about treacherous roads! - My sight is improved though, and I am busy reading some ''non fiction'' stories ( Stephen Leather's ''Private Dancer'')
Take care, have a great time. Love Tim & Don xx

Beedubya Dec 24th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9804940)
Jasper123....I am so glad to read the joy in your words about being home its been a struggle for you but I think you are doing well and appreciating what it really is all about. "Being Home" with loved ones and feeling a part of something bigger. Give you Mum a big hug from me.

I think you misunderstood when I said about my I Pad, it wasnt my son that bought it for me it was my husband, my son got it through his company at a discount and he downloaded 'netflix' onto it for me.

We are going to have a quiet Christmas just my husband my daughter and my son. My other son came today with his wife and his 3 boys. We had a lovely time. I sometimes wonder if the whole idea of Christmas is lost on the younger generation.

Dontheturner...I hope you and Tim have a lovely day. I do hope your eyes are improving.

Beedubya...Hope the journey to family is a safe one and you have a good time.

To all others on the forum A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HEALTHY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR. May God keep you all safe and Bless each one of you. May all your dreams be fulfilled.

Thanks Avril, here's to a better New Year for you. :fingerscrossed:

Derrygal Dec 24th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9804942)
For those of you interested in Chester here is the site that is update every few months with information on whats going on.

www.chesterrenaissance.co.uk

Very interesting website. I lived in Cheshire for 10 years and loved to go into Chester for the day. TBH, I wish I had stayed there, but that's all water under the bridge now!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on this forum!! May 2012 be a good year for all of you. :)

bandrui Dec 25th 2011 3:19 am

I'm still cleaning for friends coming tomorrow and still have dressing to make :eek: but wanted to wish everyone here a very Happy Christmas and Peace, Health, Freedom and Prosperity in the New Year! (Hope it's less challenging than the last one :(.)

quoll Dec 25th 2011 6:47 am

Merry Christmas everyone!

dunroving Dec 25th 2011 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9805129)
Hello Avril - Thank you - and we both wish you lots of Seasons Greetings, and into the coming New Year. - Tim, being the Good Buddhist that she is, says, my eyes will get better, come what may. I had a letter from the area health authority, giving me the choice of where I go for consultation, prior to operation, but I want to wait, until the chance of snow has passed, before asking friends to transport me. - They are all of my generation - and worry about treacherous roads! - My sight is improved though, and I am busy reading some ''non fiction'' stories ( Stephen Leather's ''Private Dancer'')
Take care, have a great time. Love Tim & Don xx

Don, have you tried reading from a Kindle? Although they cost a bit initially (I think the most recent model is £89), you can download a lot of books from Amazon very cheaply (including many classics for free). It's an automatic download, too - no waiting for the book to arrive in the mail. And you end up with all of your books on one small, light device you can carry anywhere with you.

The reason I suggest it is that you can adjust the font size and it automatically adjusts the page (so the text isn't "off the page" so to speak). Other than for my job, I'm not a big techie (my mobile cost £10 and doesn't even have a camera) but I have been very impressed with the Kindle.

sallysimmons Dec 25th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9805975)
I'm still cleaning for friends coming tomorrow and still have dressing to make :eek:

You're going to have to learn to say stuffing :lol:

dontheturner Dec 25th 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9806159)
Don, have you tried reading from a Kindle? but I have been very impressed with the Kindle.

Hi, I use Amazon a lot, and have noticed them, but wondered if I would have difficulty, reading from one, in normal lighting? -

I have an eyesight problem, at the moment, and although I am sure new glasses would improve things, I am reluctant to get them, whilst waiting for, maybe, surgery? Any idea, where I could ''view'' one?

Irish Guinness Dec 25th 2011 4:56 pm

Merry Christmas everyone,may you have a safe and happy New Year

:beer::beer:

dunroving Dec 25th 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9806249)
Hi, I use Amazon a lot, and have noticed them, but wondered if I would have difficulty, reading from one, in normal lighting? -

I have an eyesight problem, at the moment, and although I am sure new glasses would improve things, I am reluctant to get them, whilst waiting for, maybe, surgery? Any idea, where I could ''view'' one?

I think places like John Lewis have demonstration models you can look at - I think I saw one in Tesco last time I was there (a demo model, I mean).

They are not back-lit (like a laptop), so just like a regular book, you can't read them in low light. Conversely, unlike laptop screens and "tablets", you don't get eye fatigue after an hour or so. They really are easy on the eyes.

They use a special technology called E-ink that makes it look like ink on paper. Honestly, I think it is well worth you trying to find a demo to have a look at, the font size function works really well if you need magnified text. I think you'd like them - and if you already use Amazon, you'll like the fact you can download a book from Amazon in an instant.

sallysimmons Dec 25th 2011 5:17 pm

We just gave my FIL a Kindle for Christmas and he loves it.

I use an iPad for reading and ebooks are the best. A friend sent me a paper book for Christmas despite my telling him we don't read them anymore. It looked really interesting but I took one look at the size of the font and went and downloaded a copy from Amazon instead. Now I can make the font as big as I like ... and that paper book can go in the charity box with all the others.

Pollyana Dec 25th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9806263)
I think places like John Lewis have demonstration models you can look at - I think I saw one in Tesco last time I was there (a demo model, I mean).

They are not back-lit (like a laptop), so just like a regular book, you can't read them in low light. Conversely, unlike laptop screens and "tablets", you don't get eye fatigue after an hour or so. They really are easy on the eyes.

They use a special technology called E-ink that makes it look like ink on paper. Honestly, I think it is well worth you trying to find a demo to have a look at, the font size function works really well if you need magnified text. I think you'd like them - and if you already use Amazon, you'll like the fact you can download a book from Amazon in an instant.

You can get small lights that attach on though so they can be read in lowlight or in the dark :) Amazon have several on the site.

Returnee Dec 26th 2011 1:12 am

I too have an Amazon Kindle and am very happy with it. Actually, just before Christmas I downloaded Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol for free. :)