British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Sep 10th 2012 10:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10273945)
If only it was $2.60 to the £...I'd transfer a large amount to the US and make a killing. :fingerscrossed:

Me too, I would transfer everything I had and also make a killing :thumbsup:
I remember the days though when it was a rate like that, $2.60 to the pound, in the mid 80,s I think,

cheers Sep 10th 2012 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10273937)
Are you sure about that Cheers? I think the British pound is around $1.60 (at least I hope that's what it is as I am off to the UK in October for 3 weeks).

This is what happens when I starve my brain of food. You of course are right.

Celticspirit Sep 10th 2012 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10274003)
I remember the days though when it was a rate like that, $2.60 to the pound, in the mid 80,s I think,

When I arrived in 1972, it was $2.40 to the £1.

Derrygal Sep 10th 2012 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10274037)
This is what happens when I starve my brain of food. You of course are right.

Why are you starving yourself Cheers??

cheers Sep 10th 2012 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10274003)

I remember $4.00 to the pound in the 1940's

Cheers

cheers Sep 10th 2012 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10274039)
Why are you starving yourself Cheers??

Doctors orders.

Someone said, about a week ago, on here that the UK doctor changed her blood pressure medication that was prescribed in American and she has since lost about 20 pounds. I brought that up to my doctor today and he is going to try to adjust my prescription and see if the same happens to me.

Actually I'm not starving myself its just that sometimes I'm on the web before I eat.

Cheers

Derrygal Sep 11th 2012 12:17 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10274117)
Doctors orders.

Someone said, about a week ago, on here that the UK doctor changed her blood pressure medication that was prescribed in American and she has since lost about 20 pounds. I brought that up to my doctor today and he is going to try to adjust my prescription and see if the same happens to me.

Actually I'm not starving myself its just that sometimes I'm on the web before I eat.

Cheers

Okay - good luck with everything.

Derrygal Sep 11th 2012 1:38 am

This post has nothing to do with MBTUK, but I just want to say congrats to Andy Murray - won the US Open Men's Tennis - first British man to win a major Grand Slam since Fred Perry. Way to go Andy!!! :) (And yes, I am half Scottish, so very proud of him).

lf1 Sep 11th 2012 6:13 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10273828)
My money is on Maggie as well, although I think Shirley will liven it up a bit - not sure when we are getting it here in Canada, any idea anyone?

According to the PBS Masterpiece website it will start to air on 6 Jan 2013. Us lot, on the other side of the pond, will have to keep our lips sealed as to what occurs:lol:

lf1 Sep 11th 2012 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10274223)
This post has nothing to do with MBTUK, but I just want to say congrats to Andy Murray - won the US Open Men's Tennis - first British man to win a major Grand Slam since Fred Perry. Way to go Andy!!! :) (And yes, I am half Scottish, so very proud of him).

+1

This is great news following on the success of the Olympics and the Paralympics. GB has excelled in hosting and promoting both games, along with bring home the medals. Well done to all involved, makes me proud to be British, not that I wasn't proud to be before.

Well done Andy Murray. The town of Dunblane will be in the news again, but this time for a positive reason. Lang may you lum reek Andy:)

curleytops Sep 11th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10274471)
According to the PBS Masterpiece website it will start to air on 6 Jan 2013. Us lot, on the other side of the pond, will have to keep our lips sealed as to what occurs:lol:

:tape::tape::tape: I suppose if those of us on this side really get the urge to "discuss" the goings on at Downton we could always start a new thread marked "Spoiler Alert" - then no one can say they weren't warned off :sneaky:

jasper123 Sep 11th 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10274722)
:tape::tape::tape: I suppose if those of us on this side really get the urge to "discuss" the goings on at Downton we could always start a new thread marked "Spoiler Alert" - then no one can say they weren't warned off :sneaky:

curleytops,
Yes Im also looking forward to seeing the first episode of the third series this Sunday, do you know I read last year that Downton Abbey is made in England -------- but with mostly American Money, so that prompts me to ask why it takes sooooo long to Air it in the U.S. four months after episode #1 airs on British TV,S :confused:

I saw the first episode of the new Dallas last Wednesday, and am so much looking forward to seeing the second episode tomorrow Wednesday,
I was really impressed, the writers and story tellers did such a great Job,
from start to finish, it was so interesting and quite exciting too, it was fantastic to see some of the same actors playing there old characters like J.R. and Bobbie Ewing and others again,
I didn't really expect this series to be much good to tell you the truth, but it looks like its going to be as big or even bigger then the original all those years ago.

sallysimmons Sep 11th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10274837)
curleytops,
Yes Im also looking forward to seeing the first episode of the third series this Sunday, do you know I read last year that Downton Abbey is made in England -------- but with mostly American Money, so that prompts me to ask why it takes sooooo long to Air it in the U.S. four months after episode #1 airs on British TV,S :confused:

I saw the PBS people being interviewed and basically they get more bang for their buck if they show it in January rather than in September. No idea why, but it seems money is the driving force.

curleytops Sep 11th 2012 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10274837)
curleytops,

I saw the first episode of the new Dallas last Wednesday, and am so much looking forward to seeing the second episode tomorrow Wednesday,
I was really impressed, the writers and story tellers did such a great Job,
from start to finish, it was so interesting and quite exciting too, it was fantastic to see some of the same actors playing there old characters like J.R. and Bobbie Ewing and others again,
I didn't really expect this series to be much good to tell you the truth, but it looks like its going to be as big or even bigger then the original all those years ago.

Oooooh Dallas! Missed it will have to see if it's on the player. I loved the old series back in the 70's & 80's. I will never forget the night JR got shot. My sis was in a huge panic to get home from college (a 2 hr. drive away) in time to see it, this was back in the days before vcr's so if you were late you missed it, end of. Well wouldn't you know it, her boyfriend was late picking her up for the drive home and it was debatable that she'd get there in time. By the time she did arrive home (just in the nick if I remember correctly) they were embroiled in a huge row over him being unreliable and for a minute I thought we were going to have a shooting right in our own living room :lol: Obviously she got over it because she married him.

jasper123 Sep 11th 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10274866)
Oooooh Dallas! Missed it will have to see if it's on the player. I loved the old series back in the 70's & 80's. I will never forget the night JR got shot. My sis was in a huge panic to get home from college (a 2 hr. drive away) in time to see it, this was back in the days before vcr's so if you were late you missed it, end of. Well wouldn't you know it, her boyfriend was late picking her up for the drive home and it was debatable that she'd get there in time. By the time she did arrive home (just in the nick if I remember correctly) they were embroiled in a huge row over him being unreliable and for a minute I thought we were going to have a shooting right in our own living room :lol: Obviously she got over it because she married him.

Ha Ha thats very funny, she got over it though cause she married him :)
curlytops to tell you the truth I forgot about the first episode of Dallas and got the days mixed up ---- so the next day I just got into channel 5 main website and was able to stream the entire one hour episode,
I would like to know when the new Dallas aired its first episode in the U.S. could someone tell me please? Im thinking that they are a good two months ahead of us :unsure: