Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

My experience of being back

My experience of being back

Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of being back

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
my mum says things like "it would kill me if I didnt see my grandkids anymore" :scared:
Yes, I get that one too. My dad is all for us going back to Oz (avid Daily Mail reader), and if we did, my parents could try and come out on the balance of family, as both their children would be in Oz. My dad wants this but my mum won't entertain the idea of moving to Australia. I am inclined to think that it is her choice to stay in the UK, so why should I feel guilty. She has choices, just like we do. It's tricky tho.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LouiseD]
Originally Posted by FPM

I'm from the North West of England and I whilst I know that I don't want to live here in Australia, and do want to return to the UK, I don't relish the thought of going back to my hometown at all. I do feel that many of the "nicer" places to live in England are in the South, though obviously not all.
We are in the NW and I don't think I would want to be anywhere else. I am from the SE originally but moved up to Cheshire when I was 21. My husband is a home-based consultant so travels to his clients from here, but his head office is in Reading and he is working a lot in London and Reading at the moment. We did look into moving down to Berks/Hants a few months back but are not really that enthused about it.

We seem to have everything up here - great cities all 30-60 mins away such as Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds; fantastic countryside - North Wales, Cheshire plains, Lake District, Peak District. The only price we pay perhaps is that it is wetter up here than the SE. I went down to my parents' place a few times over the summer and it was like going off to a different climate.

My husband likes it up here as there are so many great places he can head off to on his bike, and he does find the SE a bit flat!! The only thing that might tempt him away is if his workload in the SE increases and he finds himself away from home too much. But then, he could equally pick up several pieces of work in the NW so moving down south would not resolve that issue.

If you went up to Cumbria, would your husband need to commute from Kendal down the M6?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:48 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

My family will be totally heartbroken, I can understand the emotional blackmail you feel under, my mum says things like "it would kill me if I didnt see my grandkids anymore" :scared: so i really dont know how or when i can go about it. My own grandparents are so excited about spending Xmas with our kids there is no way i am going to say it may be the last time. It is just a hideous situation but i still feel strongly that is the best thing for us.
[/QUOTE]

I am wondering what weighs so heavy on the right thing for you side that these things are not as important?

Do you have old posts on the forums from your time in OZ that you could refresh your memory with?

I feel alot of people start mourning the life that they just left in the last country when they had a house car etc. so of course the struggle of setting yourself up is going to come short. But where will you be in England 6 years from now? Does it still seem crappy? if so then good luck back in OZ.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

But where will you be in England 6 years from now? Does it still seem crappy? if so then good luck back in OZ.[/QUOTE]

My life here isnt crappy, its just not what I want.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:27 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HiddenPaw]
Originally Posted by LouiseD
We are in the NW and I don't think I would want to be anywhere else. I am from the SE originally but moved up to Cheshire when I was 21. My husband is a home-based consultant so travels to his clients from here, but his head office is in Reading and he is working a lot in London and Reading at the moment. We did look into moving down to Berks/Hants a few months back but are not really that enthused about it.

We seem to have everything up here - great cities all 30-60 mins away such as Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds; fantastic countryside - North Wales, Cheshire plains, Lake District, Peak District. The only price we pay perhaps is that it is wetter up here than the SE. I went down to my parents' place a few times over the summer and it was like going off to a different climate.

My husband likes it up here as there are so many great places he can head off to on his bike, and he does find the SE a bit flat!! The only thing that might tempt him away is if his workload in the SE increases and he finds himself away from home too much. But then, he could equally pick up several pieces of work in the NW so moving down south would not resolve that issue.

If you went up to Cumbria, would your husband need to commute from Kendal down the M6?
Hi there HP - I know what you mean about being close to everything - a short drive and you can be in one of several cities, the Lakes or a lovely village. We usually always go up to the Lakes for a few days just before Christamas when the carol singers and Salvation Army are all out in force - oh I wish I was there now!

I think for me it's just that my home town isn't particularly nice, so I'd like to maybe try somewhere different in the UK. My husband is a self employed bricky so I think he'd have to see what work was available before we moved anywhere - after being told there was loads of work and he'd make a fortune here, we would check it all out carefully. I don't really think it's an option for us to move anywhere else for a few years though as our youngest is still at college in the UK in our home town so we'll see her through that first.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:30 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
But where will you be in England 6 years from now? Does it still seem crappy? if so then good luck back in OZ.
My life here isnt crappy, its just not what I want.
[/QUOTE]

I guess I don't understand then what you do want. We all have different experiences I was just trying to understand yours. Esp. with me moving back in a few months- I have been keeping a diary to remind me of why I want to move so bad and I hope that I don't want to do it again.
I'm trying to remember how crap it was in the US when I first arrived and am comparing that to my life when I first land in England living in someones spare room not the life that it's taken me 6 years to build.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celtic Roses
HI HP

Sounds like you are happy where you are - don't analyse too much, what will be will be, we lived in UK for 11 yrs and had two kids and thought grass was greener on the other side (Ireland) Grandparents weren't seeing too much of kids etc., although where we now live in Eire is 4 hours drive away from parents. We have had another rugrat since and just still have the grass is greener feeling. Always wanted to try OZ but one year went to another and just recently OH decided we should try for Visa b4 its 2 late - he is 42 and cut off is 45. We go from one month to the next excited - can't wait, to next month - no way have satisfactory life here etc., house, schools good, etc. Just feel something else out there for us and only here once dah dah you know the score. Will only really know what to do when Visa comes if ever - at least decision will have to be made one way or another- pray for guidance if there is someone up there!

Marie
Ugh...over-analysing - story of my life!! I think we are pretty content at the moment and the daily discussions about Australia have dropped to, hmm, just 3 times a week! There is always a possibility of a work transfer for my husband as his company are in Australia too, but at the mo, he doesn't want to do that.

You sound like you need to get out there and see for yourself what it's all about. You need to scratch that itch! Good luck. How old are your littl'uns? Not sure about praying for guidance but I'd certainly pay for guidance, given the stress this has caused us over the last couple of years.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:26 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Ugh...over-analysing - story of my life!! I think we are pretty content at the moment and the daily discussions about Australia have dropped to, hmm, just 3 times a week! There is always a possibility of a work transfer for my husband as his company are in Australia too, but at the mo, he doesn't want to do that.

You sound like you need to get out there and see for yourself what it's all about. You need to scratch that itch! Good luck. How old are your littl'uns? Not sure about praying for guidance but I'd certainly pay for guidance, given the stress this has caused us over the last couple of years.
Hi HP

My little ones aren't so little really, 12, 9 and 4. 4 year old not a worry really, as long as we are all together, 12 and 9 not sure how they will cope. Like you say - feel we and OH really need to try this if we ever get Visa. Can only wait and see - like you daily discussions have dropped but have subscribed to Australia/New Zealand Mag and once it drops on the mat I am in top gear again and reading it cover to cover.

Keep in touch!

Marie
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I don't understand then what you do want.[/QUOTE]

As long as myself and my husband understand what we want is all that matters. Perhaps when you return you will feel the same - maybe not, as you said we are all different. i wish you luck on your return
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:55 pm

As long as myself and my husband understand what we want is all that matters.
Was hoping you would shed some light to help so I could be prepared should I feel that way- no need to get snippy. (a little smiley face barely disguises that) I thought the forum was somewhere to share because it's with folks you never have to actually meet and it might help them out but if you don't want to go into anything- fair enough- bit of a pointless thread.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:09 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Hayley]Was hoping you would shed some light to help so I could be prepared should I feel that way- no need to get snippy. QUOTE]

back down Hayley - only one person being snippy and thats you.

BB cant shed any light on how YOU might feel - she's sharing with us what SHE feels in her situation.

and from the number of replies many people are finding this a good thread - not pointless as you so nicely put it!!

and here's my smiley for you ....
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=islandmomback down Hayley - only one person being snippy and thats you.

BB cant shed any light on how YOU might feel - she's sharing with us what SHE feels in her situation.

and from the number of replies many people are finding this a good thread - not pointless as you so nicely put it!!

and here's my smiley for you .... [/QUOTE]

Thanks Island mom, I really wasnt being snippy, if i didnt want to share my feelings i wouldnt have posted in the first place. Hayley I genuinely do wish you luck, sorry if you have found the thread to be pointless.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is not pointless.

We are heading back to blighty in 15 days. We have had the rollercoaster emotions happening for the last 3 years and to read that others have gone back and realised that it is no longer for them actually helps. I hope for us as a family that it is the right move but to know that if it isn't I can post on here and have some understanding shown when other family members may turn their backs on us is priceless.

Well balanced posts like BB's helps people realise that you can't go back with rose tinted specks. Please BB carry on sharing how you feel in the coming months even if you change your mind on the return trip. Too many people disappear and I wonder if it's because they feel shame faced rather than settled.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
This thread is not pointless.

We are heading back to blighty in 15 days. We have had the rollercoaster emotions happening for the last 3 years and to read that others have gone back and realised that it is no longer for them actually helps. I hope for us as a family that it is the right move but to know that if it isn't I can post on here and have some understanding shown when other family members may turn their backs on us is priceless.

Well balanced posts like BB's helps people realise that you can't go back with rose tinted specks. Please BB carry on sharing how you feel in the coming months even if you change your mind on the return trip. Too many people disappear and I wonder if it's because they feel shame faced rather than settled.
Good luck back in the UK and if it doesnt work come back! Its important to try. We have been here three years and will be going back late next year as OH cant settle. However, he does say he may prefer to retire back here and our adult children wouldnt go back if I paid them. So.... who knows.

If you get back and you realise you made a mistake its your life and your decision I certainly wouldnt dream of chastizing you. Perhaps it will help confirm for you what you want to do. This emotional rollercoaster is very draining and I understand how you feel. Today I want to stay, tomorrow maybe as well but come Sunday I may want to return to the UK. You are not alone,
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Well folks, I go back in 7 days and if this post is still going I will keep you all updated on my daily feelings. I reckon they will be changing from one minute to the other, andas long as no one starts on me I will give you my true opinions.

You will all probably think I am crackers - but hay it will liven things up a bit.

Whisky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.