How many actually return?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many actually return?

If you had the choice now where would you go and live or would it be back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Exile
Possibly, but I'm not sure if a bit of extra bustle in Sydney or Melbourne would really make that much difference to me. I now think it runs deeper than that.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's about time we gave the UK a try. We may end up back in Japan though. I keep struggling to come up with reasons for being in Perth.

Having the choice is part of the problem

Originally Posted by Mercedes
If you had the choice now where would you go and live or would it be back to the UK?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is the trouble, there are too many choices and each offers different positives and negatives. But I think I would also move if I lived in Perth. I've never been to Japan, one of the places I would like to go, I have a cousin that married a Japanese guy and had a daughter with him and she is gorgeous and my cousin enjoyed her time in Japan - well apart from being married to her husband who she later divorced.

Originally Posted by Exile
I think it's about time we gave the UK a try. We may end up back in Japan though. I keep struggling to come up with reasons for being in Perth.

Having the choice is part of the problem
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have lived in the US for 11 yrs. IMHO it's not so much the negative things like...high prices or weather etc...it's the culture shock. The life and everything that you've been familiar with for so many years is no longer there. Also I think because English is the language of Aus and the US...we expect the culture to be the same or very similar. I am sure if we moved to a non English speaking country it wouldn't be quite so much of a culture shock...we would be expecting it to be so very different to the UK.

Thats such a very good description, its a massive culture shock.....esp when you get mexican people speaking dialect, Louisianans speaking Cajun and Texans speaking very twangy!!!

Its a very steep leaning curve..and I have decided to cut my losses after 3 years to return to Blighty. Least I tried, lol...Been there, done that
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:21 am
Just Joined

lozza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Northern-Monkey
I would say more people in there 40s go back and it probably is as much as 40%.
In my experience I have found that it is much easier for people like myself to settle we love it here but we are both starting out we have no children so no pressure there both wanted to start are own business and prepared to put in the work both in our 30s our situation seems so less complicated than some of our friends who are returning, they are all older have children and had business that they gave up only to find they have to work just as hard as they did 10 years ago in the uk it puts a massive pressure on people and stops them living its almost like we are just starting to make a life and havent really given up much - this is of course a generalisation and my own experience at the end of the day all you guys should see the whole experience as a positive one lifes about taking chances and at least you gave it ago you are never gonna say "what if"
I agree with that we are in out early 40's and have been here a year but I am starting to feel more homesick and fed-up with the cost of living rising etc. I feel like we are starting all over again even though we brought lots of our furniture with us I just never seem to have any spare cash. Also depends on the type of person you are but its exhausting having to make a big effort to meet new people. We knew it wasn't going to be easy and are trying to keep going a bit longer but I am concerned about our eldests education as he is in Yr 9 now and don't want to mess up his chance of getting qualifications at school. Has anyone moved back to UK with kids that age and has it affected their education. He's not that settled and would quite happily get on a plane tomorrow if I let him.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Went shopping this aft, young girl picked up on my accent. She said she was also from UK, she had been here 16 years (28yrs old now).
I didn't say how i felt about Perth so not to offend.........that was until she said she hated the place, it was boring, isolated and she was going back home after all these years
She said to me she feels sorry for us.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Seems a lot of people feel that way, we have spoken to lots of folk who say they are stuck here cos of finances, kids grown up etc. I want to try and give it longer but then worry that I will still feel the same way in a year and the kids will all be really settled and wouldn't want to go back. At the mo I am trying to take it a day at a time but its hard work!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lozza1
Seems a lot of people feel that way, we have spoken to lots of folk who say they are stuck here cos of finances, kids grown up etc. I want to try and give it longer but then worry that I will still feel the same way in a year and the kids will all be really settled and wouldn't want to go back. At the mo I am trying to take it a day at a time but its hard work!!
Yes I couldn't agree with you more. We to know people who are in that situation, and I have met quite a few Australians who's children are moving east or abroad because they cant afford to get on the housing ladder here. My australian friends worry for their children who are growing up here, with the housing situation the way it is at present.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I quite fancy South Wales now.... rolling hills etc depends on the work there though!!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
I quite fancy South Wales now.... rolling hills etc depends on the work there though!!!
What about Cardiff - lovely city, lots of culture, probably lots of employment opportunities too, what with the university, the hospitals and all the government offices.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
I actually searched on google the other day for 'cheapest houses in the Uk', and South Wales came up as being the cheapest at 28,000 british pounds!! (sorry, my pound sign doesnt work on this keyboard), although some where denying they are actually quite that cheap lol
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that we are in out early 40's and have been here a year but I am starting to feel more homesick and fed-up with the cost of living rising etc. I feel like we are starting all over again even though we brought lots of our furniture with us I just never seem to have any spare cash. Also depends on the type of person you are but its exhausting having to make a big effort to meet new people. We knew it wasn't going to be easy and are trying to keep going a bit longer but I am concerned about our eldests education as he is in Yr 9 now and don't want to mess up his chance of getting qualifications at school. Has anyone moved back to UK with kids that age and has it affected their education. He's not that settled and would quite happily get on a plane tomorrow if I let him.

the age cut off was our main reason for applying for something we had only vaguely considered before, usually after nice hols and a few drinks! I agree it gets harder the older you are, and I dont mind admitting I am a bit set in my ways now whereas in my 20's I was a lot crazier! These days (with time limited and small children) it takes effort just to keep in with current friends, let alone being interesting and confident enough to make and keep new ones. What age is year 9? I would say move sooner,especially if he is unhappy. Those Aussie qualifications wont be much use here will they?!
Starting again is so hard. We regressed about 15 years!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike&jo
I actually searched on google the other day for 'cheapest houses in the Uk', and South Wales came up as being the cheapest at 28,000 british pounds!! (sorry, my pound sign doesnt work on this keyboard), although some where denying they are actually quite that cheap lol
Not sure about prices, but just come back from North Wales, amazing! Friendly, lovely place. Was like Peak distict-on-sea. Work is scant though, like any uncrowded lovely scenic place I suppose..
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

I have a son who is currently Grade 8 and I'm going back this summer to start his schooling in September. I wanted to move now before it messed up his education, otherwise I would have to leave it until he was 18 and I didn't want to stay that long in Canada
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by seasprite
the age cut off was our main reason for applying for something we had only vaguely considered before, usually after nice hols and a few drinks! I agree it gets harder the older you are, and I dont mind admitting I am a bit set in my ways now whereas in my 20's I was a lot crazier! These days (with time limited and small children) it takes effort just to keep in with current friends, let alone being interesting and confident enough to make and keep new ones. What age is year 9? I would say move sooner,especially if he is unhappy. Those Aussie qualifications wont be much use here will they?!
Starting again is so hard. We regressed about 15 years!
I agree we also decided to do it before we were too old didn't want to look back and regret not trying but now think we just cut our losses and get back to family and friends. Yr 9 is age 14. Have you been away and gone back to the UK if so how long have you been back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.