How many actually return?

Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:50 am
Just Joined

idontknow has a spectacular aura aboutidontknow has a spectacular aura aboutidontknow has a spectacular aura about
Default How many actually return?

Hi all

I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday, and she informed me she had been told, statistics show that 40% of people who emigrate to Australia, actually return home in the first 2 years! I think if this is true, thats an awful lot of people?

Does anyone know if this is actually true? If so, then surely there should be more done to advise people of the negatives of emigrating, as well as the positives of the blue skies, better lifestyles and gorgeous beaches etc etc?
I for one, have found that there are a lot of things that they dont tell you, before you get here, no matter how much research you actually do yourself, it is impossible to know everything, until you are here and living the experience.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I am still a newbie

Gaynor
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many actually return?

Originally Posted by idontknow
Hi all

I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday, and she informed me she had been told, statistics show that 40% of people who emigrate to Australia, actually return home in the first 2 years! I think if this is true, thats an awful lot of people?

Does anyone know if this is actually true? If so, then surely there should be more done to advise people of the negatives of emigrating, as well as the positives of the blue skies, better lifestyles and gorgeous beaches etc etc?
I for one, have found that there are a lot of things that they dont tell you, before you get here, no matter how much research you actually do yourself, it is impossible to know everything, until you are here and living the experience.

Gaynor
I asked this question a few months ago, I agree more should be done to warn people of the negatives, maybe the BBC should do a programme featuring those who return and why!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m100
I asked this question a few months ago, I agree more should be done to warn people of the negatives, maybe the BBC should do a programme featuring those who return and why!
I have lived in the US for 11 yrs. IMHO it's not so much the negative things like...high prices or weather etc...it's the culture shock. The life and everything that you've been familiar with for so many years is no longer there. Also I think because English is the language of Aus and the US...we expect the culture to be the same or very similar. I am sure if we moved to a non English speaking country it wouldn't be quite so much of a culture shock...we would be expecting it to be so very different to the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have lived in the US for 11 yrs. IMHO it's not so much the negative things like...high prices or weather etc...it's the culture shock. The life and everything that you've been familiar with for so many years is no longer there. Also I think because English is the language of Aus and the US...we expect the culture to be the same or very similar. I am sure if we moved to a non English speaking country it wouldn't be quite so much of a culture shock...we would be expecting it to be so very different to the UK.
I agree about the culture shock, Everything is the same but different enough that you can easily feel like you don't belong. Take one example, the magazines they have at the checkouts in supermarkets. All the same mag types like hello etc, but all the celebs and stories are so unconected with yourself it's untrue. The celebs, music, names, infact all that you grew up with doesn't exist here. You try and read the papers or mags or watch the local tv but they chunder on about stuff and people you just don't identify with.

As for the statistics it varies depending on who you ask, most people seem to think the overall number is about 30-35% but I've heard that certain demographic groups are more likely to return than others, with it being 50% of ABC1's that return within a couple of years. Then there is the ping pong club who mess the figures up a bit, but either way clearly it's a lot and just might indicate there might be more to life than bland beaches and blue skies.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I agree about the culture shock, Everything is the same but different enough that you can easily feel like you don't belong. Take one example, the magazines they have at the checkouts in supermarkets. All the same mag types like hello etc, but all the celebs and stories are so unconected with yourself it's untrue. The celebs, music, names, infact all that you grew up with doesn't exist here. You try and read the papers or mags or watch the local tv but they chunder on about stuff and people you just don't identify with.

As for the statistics it varies depending on who you ask, most people seem to think the overall number is about 30-35% but I've heard that certain demographic groups are more likely to return than others, with it being 50% of ABC1's that return within a couple of years. Then there is the ping pong club who mess the figures up a bit, but either way clearly it's a lot and just might indicate there might be more to life than bland beaches and blue skies.
I think the younger you are the more chance you have of settling. Also if you are a 'flexible' person...one that fits into most circumstances...you have a greater chance of settling into your new life.

It's difficult if you have a young family and suddenly find yourself without a support system. It's difficult if you have left a good life/lifestyle back home. It's difficult if you have an established home and family in the UK.

Although undoubtedly there are many who love their new life in their new country...but you are unlikely to find them here...they will be out enjoying themselves.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Gaynor
Hello I don't know ( great name).

You couldn't be further from the truth. This is something that has been bugging me since we arrived in Perth. Why does the media in the UK portray OZ as this fantastic luxury life-style. It's all bull.
Those TV programmes should also show how things really are in OZ aswell as the Beaches and surf etc......
I suppose we are the only ones to blame for being so gullible, i'm the biggest fool of all

As for the statistics....they are much higher than that as far as i'm aware. You only need to speak to the removal companies to find out how busy they are in moving people back to the UK again compared to afew years back.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

There's also people like me buggering the figures up. Technically, we emigrated. In reality, we only ever intended for it to be a two-year thing. There's lots of people who move, fully intending to always go back - so take the statistics with a pinch of salt.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Gaynor
What I have found quite amazing is that since we have said we are going home my OH has talked to loads of people about it and he reckons about 85%of them say that they would go home if they could. A lot of them have been here a long time and couldn't afford to go back. I didn't want to be one of those stranded people and that's why we're going now while we still can. I think a lot of people here in Perth are really pretending that they love it, but as soon as someone starts talking about going back, all their true feelings come out. It's as if they don't want to admit that it's not great here for some reason. It all comes down to the thing about feeling like you've failed - I for one think that is a load of crap! Coming here and trying it and going back is not failing, it's being brave enough to try a new life and then being brave enough to realise it's not the life for you and going home again. It's not easy to just "go home". All these Aus lovers who say if you don't like it then go home, haven't got a clue. I am still waiting for finance approval from the buyers of our house and they want to settle 2 weeks tomorrow!! Think they are missing the point that I have a toddler and a baby, a house full of stuff and am moving to the other side of the world. It's getting a bit frustrating as I can't book flights, shipping or anything until their finance is definite. We have sold both the cars and are now sharing a Kia Rio hire car (not exactly large) and am busy trying to sell a washing machine and a gas fire! What if they end up not buying it?? Nightmare, but I don't have a choice because I don't want to end up with stuff to get rid of at the last minute. Sorry I've gone a bit off topic but think I just needed to get a few things off my chest!!

Jo
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by clougherty family
What I have found quite amazing is that since we have said we are going home my OH has talked to loads of people about it and he reckons about 85%of them say that they would go home if they could. A lot of them have been here a long time and couldn't afford to go back. I didn't want to be one of those stranded people and that's why we're going now while we still can. I think a lot of people here in Perth are really pretending that they love it, but as soon as someone starts talking about going back, all their true feelings come out. It's as if they don't want to admit that it's not great here for some reason. It all comes down to the thing about feeling like you've failed - I for one think that is a load of crap! Coming here and trying it and going back is not failing, it's being brave enough to try a new life and then being brave enough to realise it's not the life for you and going home again. It's not easy to just "go home". All these Aus lovers who say if you don't like it then go home, haven't got a clue. I am still waiting for finance approval from the buyers of our house and they want to settle 2 weeks tomorrow!! Think they are missing the point that I have a toddler and a baby, a house full of stuff and am moving to the other side of the world. It's getting a bit frustrating as I can't book flights, shipping or anything until their finance is definite. We have sold both the cars and are now sharing a Kia Rio hire car (not exactly large) and am busy trying to sell a washing machine and a gas fire! What if they end up not buying it?? Nightmare, but I don't have a choice because I don't want to end up with stuff to get rid of at the last minute. Sorry I've gone a bit off topic but think I just needed to get a few things off my chest!!

Jo
Of course you haven't failed. You've tried something that some would give their right arm for and others haven't got the courage to do. Immigration isn't a 'one size fits all'...some can settle some can't...that's all there is to it. At least you've have the guts to try it...not just stayed in the UK moaning.

As regards your husband's colleagues...I think many just put a brave face on it...in the hopes that it will work out...eventually.

I'm sure the next few weeks/months will be a roller coaster for you...but just think where you will be 12 months from now. You'll be posting on here...telling us what a great place the UK is and how happy you and your family are.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:47 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

You still here?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:51 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with that, my sis in law was watching one of those new life down under programmes she was saying oh kerry it looks so wonderful etc... i had to point out that these programmes only show the good points!!!

kezx
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
You still here?
Unfortunately yes.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:56 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shock is so true - I was very naive and expected Australia to be like the UK with more sun and less crime (a bit dumb I know!) - I've said it before but I think people who make a success of living in Oz and stay are successful for 2 main reasons:

1. they are prepared for the fact that Australia is a different country with a different culture. They totally embrace the Australian life, culture and way of doing things and do not continually make comparisons to the UK. They are ready to become true Aussie citizens.

2. they realise they will never have the same relationship with the family and friends they left behind and are ready to accept this.

I know the above points may sound obvious but did not occur to me until we got to Oz (plonker!)!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

That's so true, I couldn't agree more!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

How many people would actually change their minds due to a TV programme? If someone is seriously thinking of moving abroad and has the drive to go through with it, I doubt they would change their mind just because it didn't work out for others. I suspect most would rationalise the negatives, and fall into the trap of thinking "that won't happen to me"

1. they are prepared for the fact that Australia is a different country with a different culture. They totally embrace the Australian life, culture and way of doing things and do not continually make comparisons to the UK. They are ready to become true Aussie citizens.

2. they realise they will never have the same relationship with the family and friends they left behind and are ready to accept this.
I'm sure a lot of people moving abroad think of the above before hand, the problem is doing it is not as easy as thinking it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.