Wikiposts

australian people

Old May 31st 2007, 3:25 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australian people

Originally Posted by cdandi
I am continually asked if I am pleased to be back in Oz. When I truthfully answer "yes" and "no" I find that Aussies want to hear my reasons for saying "yes" but act as if I'm making a personal attack on them if I make the slightest comment that can be construed as being critical of Australia.

I find that generally speaking, my Australian girlfriends are good friends on the surface but our relationships are very superficial compared to friends that I have made in the US. They are happy to discuss recipes and gardening tips but their real feelings and relationships are taboo. Furthermore, they are very competitive financially and are always comparing what they have with everyone else in terms of what house they live in and what car they drive. This leads to a great deal of jealousy and backstabbing.
I have lived in OZ for well over a decade and have to say you are 100% spot on with your comments. Saying the place is laidback and friendly is a joke. It is as you say, very, very superficial and materialistic. If I were in your shoes (assuming that as you lived in NYC for 7 years) go back and enjoy your life with authentic people. If you don't yet have US citizenship, be aware that you could lose your greencard status if you are out of the US too long (I think 1yr is the limit).
Old May 31st 2007, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
Of course you're going to post a response like that & most if not all your fellow bloggers on here will toast to your defensive response because you're all so unhappy with your Aussie lives I can understand that. Those who are happy obviously on the Australia forum.

Because I have an opinion it doesn't mean I am a nasty/rude individual. Your mannerism is exactly what I am refering to when I say the majority of Brits these days are so negative in there outlook in life, not only that, living in the UK you get shot down in flames if you dare disagree with somebody elses opinion (your response is a prime example).

You state that you have lived in Oz previously, in which case you would of been ofae with the fact that they are different from Europe and they are straight talking people before going back would you not?
As for not being able to afford to come back? If you work out your living costs before emigrating you know that moving back here, buying a house and having an equal standard of living as you do in Oz is going to be extremely difficult. Im sorry but that is a known fact.

As for me? I've lived & worked in Canada for some time, I went there on my own & had to find a job, somewhere to live and make new friends off my own back. I made me skint and it looked like I would have to come home not long after I arrived, but I didn't. If you have a dream then you persevere.
Like I said i've travelled around Aussie and NZ and i'm familiar with the people, there's good and bad anywhere.

Danny B commented that it sometimes takes a move to the other side of the world to realise how much you miss your family. I think this comment speaks for itself.

Apologies if you take offense at what I have said but if you wish to take citizenship so as to keep the door open if you wish to return in the future, I find that contradictory and no wonder it's so difficult for those of us who genuinely want to reside there, to get in.
I'm hanging around for citizenship even though i have no intentions of living in OZ. If that gets up your arse mate, then though luck, nothing you can do about it is there. So like everyone keeps telling us lot, shut up and put up.!!!
Old May 31st 2007, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever!...you obviously don't even appreciate it when people say anything positive to you.

So you know what, I'm gonna leave you to wallow in your own self pity.
So, you've lived for a while in Canada and enjoyed it, good for you, why not stay there then? This post is about AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE OK, so you've been to Oz on your hols, well done you, glad you enjoyed it. But,I'd be interested on your views of ACTUALLY living long term in Oz. Come back when you've actually got some first hand experience Oh, and as for the tax thing.......don't you pay more in Oz than UK(not sure on this, but I did read a thread stating this)?
Old May 31st 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I'm hanging around for citizenship even though i have no intentions of living in OZ. If that gets up your arse mate, then though luck, nothing you can do about it is there. So like everyone keeps telling us lot, shut up and put up.!!!
Nice language! Quite frankly the UK is better off without people like you, we have enough of your sort as it is, selfish and arogant. No wonder you don't get along with the Aussies.
Old May 31st 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Exile
This just about says it all. Have you really done any research? If you think you'll pay less in Australia you are seriously deluded.
Taxation in the UK is 37.4% of GDP - in Australia it's 31.5%. That's a significant difference. Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...otal-as-of-gdp

It's true that the income tax rates are fairly similar, but things like council tax, fuel excise, VAT, death duties, TV licence, etc. are much lower (or non-existent) in Oz.
Old May 31st 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

I actually really liked Australian people on the whole Most of the women I met were great. The men, crap as partner material, chauvanistic etc etc - but they werent mallicious. Ok to pass time of day with.
The proportion of crappy people I met compared to the nice, was IMHO no different to my UK experience.
IMO, wherever you go, people are nice on the whole
(Dont like the way they treat animals, though!)
Old May 31st 2007, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cam1977
Taxation in the UK is 37.4% of GDP - in Australia it's 31.5%. That's a significant difference. Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...otal-as-of-gdp

It's true that the income tax rates are fairly similar, but things like council tax, fuel excise, VAT, death duties, TV licence, etc. are much lower (or non-existent) in Oz.
Thank you Cam1977 for your supporting evidence.

I didn't need to do any research as refered to by EXILE, that's the joke about his/her statement, is the fact I currently live in the UK and so have a darn site more of an idea, first hand, day to day about the state of the UK.

But i guess thats the difference between being realistic and reminicing about ye old england.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice language! Quite frankly the UK is better off without people like you, we have enough of your sort as it is, selfish and arogant. No wonder you don't get along with the Aussies.
Stop getting your kecks in a twist. You don't know me, so don't judge. Grow up and get a life.

I love UK and UK loves me....
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Stop getting your kecks in a twist. You don't know me, so don't judge. Grow up and get a life.

I love UK and UK loves me....
By the sounds of it i've obviously got more of a life than you right now.

If you love the UK so much and detest Australia & have no intention of living there, why are you so set on obtaining citizenship?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

If you love the UK so much and detest Australia & have no intention of living there, why are you so set on obtaining citizenship?
Because she may change her mind in the future and want to live in Australia. A lot of people obtain citizenship for this reason, there's no law against it!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Because she may change her mind in the future and want to live in Australia. A lot of people obtain citizenship for this reason, there's no law against it!
No but a lot of people think there should be.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
No but a lot of people think there should be.
lol, very true, a lot of people will have to be dissapointed then.

I wish I could stay around for it, but sadly not.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:56 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cam1977

Quote as many figures as you like. I'd rather pay a bit more tax in the UK (if that is what I do) and earn more, have holidays and be able to have a bit of dosh to put in the bank each month than pay 6% less tax and live like a pauper in Oz
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think it like anything it is who you hang out with. I lived in Oz 12 years, Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane/Gold Coast, being the main ones and a few months in Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Townsville, Gladstone, Alice. Some places were easier than others and I met some I really liked and were good friends with and others I didn't like.

But I didn't have any British friends during my time there and integrated with Australians from different cultures, backgrounds, nationalities all who considered themselves Australians. Was one of the things I liked and found interesting in learning about them, as they were different to what I was used to. I was lucky that I had some good, close female friends who were down to earth. I don't do superficial, bitchy, etc and can't be bothered with shallowness either. I've met some of the types of people you mention in the UK, and other places I've lived as well as Oz. But some places were better than others and some of the hick towns, I definitely couldn't live in as the mentality would have done my head in. But like in Australia, the USA, UK and other countries, there are many places where the people appear to be from the film Deliverance and there isn't a shortage of them in Oz either. (gets out the banjo)

I think wherever we are and the older we get, it can be harder to start over and finding genuine good friends is always going to be difficult. It's easy to meet loads of people we can call friends who in reality aren't but I tend to go for the deep friendships where they are family to me. That is harder to find in some cases. Maybe I was lucky but I had some good genuine close friends wherever I went and some still ask me when I'm returning as they miss me. I think wherever we are we can create our own worlds with the people we want around us, and I personally like the melting pot of multiculturism there and embraced it. Now I live in Spain I also do it here as I find it makes me feel I'm at home.

Depending on your interest maybe look outside the circle you move in as I think there are plenty of good people out there. I got into Buddhism and more alternative medicine when I was there and found many of the people really lovely. Having so many friends who were Asian (as in Australian sense opposed to british) it probably sent me down that track. There are many types of Australians I didn't like, especially the blue singlet brigade, and hated being around them, but no different to being around the chavs/yobs etc in UK. Like anywhere you meet those you like and those that you don't.

If your'e not happy with those around you, then change them. Culling is good, I don't see the point of being around people that don't add something to my life, so will go out and find those that do. I don't particularly like many of the British attitudes, especially abroad, so I try and avoid those that I don't like and mix with Brits that I do. Many Brits don't like to be put into the same box by foreigners, nor do the Australians, as they don't all fit into it either. People don't like anyone critising UK, and that is often demonstrated on this forum, where it becomes a bitchfest, so we can't blame the Australians for reacting if we criticize them and their country when we chose to emigrate there. Can you imagine a new immigrant coming to UK and telling people what they think of our country and our people in a negative light and the reaction they also would get?

Originally Posted by cdandi
I've been back in Oz for a year (was here for 19 years and left to live in NY for 7years).

I have not found the transition easy!! My biggest issue is regarding Australian attitudes. I am continually asked if I am pleased to be back in Oz. When I truthfully answer "yes" and "no" I find that Aussies want to hear my reasons for saying "yes" but act as if I'm making a personal attack on them if I make the slightest comment that can be construed as being critical of Australia.

I find that generally speaking, my Australian girlfriends are good friends on the surface but our relationships are very superficial compared to friends that I have made in the US. They are happy to discuss recipes and gardening tips but their real feelings and relationships are taboo. Furthermore, they are very competitive financially and are always comparing what they have with everyone else in terms of what house they live in and what car they drive. This leads to a great deal of jealousy and backstabbing.

While I have no intentions of moving away from Australia at this time in my life I can certainly understand why English women in particular have difficulty fitting in here.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I think it like anything it is who you hang out with. I lived in Oz 12 years, Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane/Gold Coast, being the main ones and a few months in Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Townsville, Gladstone, Alice. Some places were easier than others and I met some I really liked and were good friends with and others I didn't like.

But I didn't have any British friends during my time there and integrated with Australians from different cultures, backgrounds, nationalities all who considered themselves Australians. Was one of the things I liked and found interesting in learning about them, as they were different to what I was used to. I was lucky that I had some good, close female friends who were down to earth. I don't do superficial, bitchy, etc and can't be bothered with shallowness either. I've met some of the types of people you mention in the UK, and other places I've lived as well as Oz. But some places were better than others and some of the hick towns, I definitely couldn't live in as the mentality would have done my head in. But like in Australia, the USA, UK and other countries, there are many places where the people appear to be from the film Deliverance and there isn't a shortage of them in Oz either. (gets out the banjo)

I think wherever we are and the older we get, it can be harder to start over and finding genuine good friends is always going to be difficult. It's easy to meet loads of people we can call friends who in reality aren't but I tend to go for the deep friendships where they are family to me. That is harder to find in some cases. Maybe I was lucky but I had some good genuine close friends wherever I went and some still ask me when I'm returning as they miss me. I think wherever we are we can create our own worlds with the people we want around us, and I personally like the melting pot of multiculturism there and embraced it. Now I live in Spain I also do it here as I find it makes me feel I'm at home.

Depending on your interest maybe look outside the circle you move in as I think there are plenty of good people out there. I got into Buddhism and more alternative medicine when I was there and found many of the people really lovely. Having so many friends who were Asian (as in Australian sense opposed to british) it probably sent me down that track. There are many types of Australians I didn't like, especially the blue singlet brigade, and hated being around them, but no different to being around the chavs/yobs etc in UK. Like anywhere you meet those you like and those that you don't.

If your'e not happy with those around you, then change them. Culling is good, I don't see the point of being around people that don't add something to my life, so will go out and find those that do. I don't particularly like many of the British attitudes, especially abroad, so I try and avoid those that I don't like and mix with Brits that I do. Many Brits don't like to be put into the same box by foreigners, nor do the Australians, as they don't all fit into it either. People don't like anyone critising UK, and that is often demonstrated on this forum, where it becomes a bitchfest, so we can't blame the Australians for reacting if we criticize them and their country when we chose to emigrate there. Can you imagine a new immigrant coming to UK and telling people what they think of our country and our people in a negative light and the reaction they also would get?
Top post Mercedes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.