Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Originally Posted by Roadking
Which continent, the Middle East?
I actually meant Europe.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An off topic question...

Originally Posted by USExpat
Good morning IndieG,

I've been told as a US national I wouldn't be very welcome on this board, but I have been visiting this website a very long time now. So risking the chance of being kicked off strait away I thought I'd ask a few questions. I'll understand it if you won't reply, and apologize for breaking any, to me unknown rules on this website in advance. At the moment I live and work in Europe, and a few months ago I started up the paperwork in the USA to meet the requirements of a UAE residency visa which is basically finished now. What caught my interest is your remark "minimum balance on a bank account". The terms of my employment contract stipulates that housing expenses, car, insurance and multiple airline tickets are provided for by my employer. So there would not be a need from my side for personal loans or credit cards. As for credit cards I prefer to keep my European ones actually. So my questions are :USExpat
I am not a British Expat either

(1) What is this minimum balance you are referring to? In my case +/- 30.000 AED would be paid out in the UAE, the rest directly into a European account.
Oh, don't worry, this is just about greedy banks after your money. If you don't maintain a minimum balance (typically monthly average 5k-10k average) then they sock you with charges - AED 25-100 a month. Some banks don't charge.

(2) If this minimum amount applies to me as well, is there any legal way of avoiding this? It actually scares the hell out of me being forced to leave money on a UAE account. I would prefer telex transferring the plus balance to Europe every end of the month. All I would require from my UAE bank is an ATM card and internet banking facilities.

Several banks don't have this requirement. Send me a pm once you're here, will get some one to contact you and help you with the account opening etc.

(3) Do UAE banks give the full package strait away? I mean ATM card and internet banking facilities once you open an account? Or is there a waiting time for this?

Yes, typically 1 week if the bank has good customer service. Or 2 weeks. If you don't receive it within a reasonable period of time then standing in the middle of the banking hall and screaming loudly will achieve the desired result well

(4) Can I make transfers in Euro's?

Yes

Once again, any help or info is appreciated. With all the doom scenario thinking going on I'm seriously starting to get second thoughts about moving over to the UAE. I'm into wholesales / logistics myself, not construction or construction related work and would be based in Dubai.

Think about it carefully. Whilst it is the construction industry that has been badly hit right now, other areas such as shipping (already hit), tourism, retail, hospitality, trade, oil&gas will all be hit in varying degrees.

Last edited by IndieG; Dec 18th 2008 at 10:35 am.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:34 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG

(1) What is this minimum balance you are referring to? In my case +/- 30.000 AED would be paid out in the UAE, the rest directly into a European account.
Oh, don't worry, this is just about greedy banks after your money. If you don't maintain a minimum balance (typically monthly average 5k-10k average) then they sock you with charges - AED 25-100 a month. Some banks don't charge.

(2) If this minimum amount applies to me as well, is there any legal way of avoiding this? It actually scares the hell out of me being forced to leave money on a UAE account. I would prefer telex transferring the plus balance to Europe every end of the month. All I would require from my UAE bank is an ATM card and internet banking facilities.

Several banks don't have this requirement. Send me a pm once you're here, will get some one to contact you and help you with the account opening etc.

(3) Do UAE banks give the full package strait away? I mean ATM card and internet banking facilities once you open an account? Or is there a waiting time for this?

Yes, typically 1 week if the bank has good custoemr service. Or 2 weeks. If you don't receive it within a reasonable period of time then standing in the middle of the banking hall and screaming loudly will achieve the desired result well

Yes

Once again, any help or info is appreciated. With all the doom scenario thinking going on I'm seriously starting to get second thoughts about moving over to the UAE. I'm into wholesales / logistics myself, not construction or construction related work and would be based in Dubai.

Think about it carefully. Whilst it is the construction industry that has been badly hit right now, other areas such as shipping (already hit), tourism, retail, hospitality, trade, oil&gas will all be hit in varying degrees.
You are repeating yourself yourself, IndieG.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:37 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

I actually meant Europe.
Oh, I see. I just assumed that, as you were on the Middle East forum, you meant the Middle East. Hadn't thought that you might refer to your own location as the centre of this communication.

Typical sceptic tank!

Last edited by Roadking; Dec 18th 2008 at 10:38 am. Reason: oops again
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

You are repeating yourself yourself, IndieG.
Yeah, I was surprised to see that too! My comp was hanging so I kept hitting the ENTER button really hard a couple of times.

Last edited by IndieG; Dec 18th 2008 at 10:54 am.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Hi IndieG,

Thank you for the info, that does it for me. The UAE project is off my active list as per now. I'm interviewing a few people here in Holland in the coming two weeks. If one of them wants the Dubai job he can have it. I already had serious doubts about it, even before I responded to your banker's info. The UAE banking system is really way out of date if I read your comments correctly. You are talking about weeks for something that in Holland took me less then ten minutes to have setup. And it's a multiple currency account as well. Okay, needed to wait two days for the ATM card, four days for the credit card but that's all.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Oh, I see. I just assumed that, as you were on the Middle East forum, you meant the Middle East. Hadn't thought that you might refer to your own location as the centre of this communication.

Typical sceptic tank!

Thank you. I didn't mean to insult you, I clearly stated I was in Europe at the moment.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Are you trying to tell me I need to go to my own bank and withdraw my entire balance to then go to an other bank in Dubai to transfer it to Europe? To make a simple telex transfer is that a full days work in the UAE?

Yes, typically 1 week if the bank has good customer service. Or 2 weeks. If you don't receive it within a reasonable period of time then standing in the middle of the banking hall and screaming loudly will achieve the desired result well

Yes

Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi IndieG,

Thank you for the info, that does it for me. The UAE project is off my active list as per now. I'm interviewing a few people here in Holland in the coming two weeks. If one of them wants the Dubai job he can have it. I already had serious doubts about it, even before I responded to your banker's info. The UAE banking system is really way out of date if I read your comments correctly. You are talking about weeks for something that in Holland took me less then ten minutes to have setup. And it's a multiple currency account as well. Okay, needed to wait two days for the ATM card, four days for the credit card but that's all.
You can open the account within a day. But the cheque book and ATM + PIN (sent separately); Phone Banking; Internet Banking takes a week.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:56 am
If I have to explain...

Thank you. I didn't mean to insult you, I clearly stated I was in Europe at the moment.
No offence taken. T'was that UK humour you mentioned earlier, but I guess I'm not very funny.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

You can open the account within a day. But the cheque book and ATM + PIN (sent separately); Phone Banking; Internet Banking takes a week.
Pin number and card (visa classic, electron or MasterCard) has to be sent separately anywhere in the world
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

No offence taken. T'was that UK humour you mentioned earlier, but I guess I'm not very funny.
Just need to get used to it again, that's all.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:02 am
If I have to explain...

Just need to get used to it again, that's all.
I thought I was used to it...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annacarna
Pin number and card (visa classic, electron or MasterCard) has to be sent separately anywhere in the world
You are right ofcourse, but what shocked me was the 2+ weeks waiting time to setup a simple bank account in the UAE. I don't even need their cheque book, neither do I need their credit card either. Just an ATM card that I can withdraw money with for my daily needs and internet banking facilities.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by annacarna
Not the case with some banks here - where activating the PIN is a separate exercise (involves the cardholder calling up the bank and providing them with some specific personal information before they activate)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.