Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

HONK! HONK!

Originally Posted by Roadking
You can arrested for that. Just look at what banging on the beach did to those other two.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:06 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Originally Posted by USExpat
Hi Ethos,

I've had HSBC recommended to me by several people, including a few UK nationals I met here in Holland that have worked in the Middle East. But I'll stick to IndieG's offer to go see her and see what she advises me.
I've only heard bad stories about HSBC in Middle East (from colleagues).

We use Emirates Bank and had no major complaints so far.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Research your industry. If it looks to be on solid grounds, it might be ok making the move (although there will always be the risk). Right now there's no telling how bad the Dubai collapse will be. This may be the worst period and we may end up having a soft landing after shedding the excess jobs (a lot of the companies went on pointless hiring binges for the past year or two, hiring people at high salaries to do not very much work. Those were the ones to go first). Or it could just be a harbinger of what's to come.

If you do come over, just don't enter into any contracts or financial obligations that would make leaving the country difficult. Don't buy a car and don't negotiate your own contract with a landlord. Have the company do all that for you, so if necessary you can just walk out the door and head straight to the airport with no financial liabilities.

My company is fine for now, but I do regret buying a car because if the worst comes, I'll lose the 25K down payment if I can't sell the car when I need to leave (the monthy payments are the same as the monthly car hire was, so no money lost there).

Well our UAE counter part is taking care of all that. I've asked him for a single room somewhere until I'm sure the UAE is the right thing for me. As long as it's clean, and the shower / toilet works it's fine with me. He will arrange the car and the medical package for me, as well as tickets when needed. Besides the first six to twelve months I'll be working my butt off just to get this wholesales joint venture up and running. So I don't want any commitments that would pin me down in the UAE.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:42 am
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Authorities prepare for defaulters
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon guys

thanks for the replies and PM's - i will mail you back in a bit - Commander your a star and will be in touch via email.

We got the heads up from the company that the bank will be informed on Sunday so we have withdrawn everything - my new company are writing a letter to HSBC to tell them im getting my own visa and there will be a wage going in - i hope this will stop the 'freeze' and we can put the money back in the account - we are going to make sure the cars are paid for in January and then hopefully be in a better position with regards to work for hubby - everyone has been so kind - his managers have been putting a good word in with other companies so hopefully after christmas we will get some good news. He has been offered 3 jobs back in the UK but this is a last resort. We are going to try and sell one of the cars, mine but its is excellent condition and very low mileage. Ive recently spoke to a bloke who sold his car, and got a good amount for it and i will take the financial hit - one less thing to worry about.

I dont want to restrict myself, i want to return back here and i think we can manage it.

Very lucky for me i have an excellent mother who is sorting out our affairs in the UK so it has given us a bit of breathing space.

Obviously my advice here to anyone is be very careful what you get tied into - you never know when it will come crashing around your head! One of our friends has just pulled out of his car purchase having seen what has happened to us.

again thank you so much for everything - even the negative bloke!

Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that!

You could also open an account with another bank (can arrange for it to be done in a day for you) and have your Dec salary transferred there if you wish... let me know.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Glad to hear that!

You could also open an account with another bank (can arrange for it to be done in a day for you) and have your Dec salary transferred there if you wish... let me know.
thanks very much. Everything will kick off on Sunday so i will let you know, my previous employer has sent my wages to the UK account and my current employer are paying me by cheque just to ensure i get my wages!

Maybe this will all be okay afterall, i just have to make sure those car payments come out as usual.

thanks again IG - really very helpful!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:47 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Good afternoon guys

thanks for the replies and PM's - i will mail you back in a bit - Commander your a star and will be in touch via email.

We got the heads up from the company that the bank will be informed on Sunday so we have withdrawn everything - my new company are writing a letter to HSBC to tell them im getting my own visa and there will be a wage going in - i hope this will stop the 'freeze' and we can put the money back in the account - we are going to make sure the cars are paid for in January and then hopefully be in a better position with regards to work for hubby - everyone has been so kind - his managers have been putting a good word in with other companies so hopefully after christmas we will get some good news. He has been offered 3 jobs back in the UK but this is a last resort. We are going to try and sell one of the cars, mine but its is excellent condition and very low mileage. Ive recently spoke to a bloke who sold his car, and got a good amount for it and i will take the financial hit - one less thing to worry about.

I dont want to restrict myself, i want to return back here and i think we can manage it.

Very lucky for me i have an excellent mother who is sorting out our affairs in the UK so it has given us a bit of breathing space.

Obviously my advice here to anyone is be very careful what you get tied into - you never know when it will come crashing around your head! One of our friends has just pulled out of his car purchase having seen what has happened to us.

again thank you so much for everything - even the negative bloke!

Sounds like things are getting sorted. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck and have a better 2009!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sounds like things are getting sorted. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck and have a better 2009!
I hope so too - thanks so much to you and everyone else!

Ive never met any of you and everyone has offered to help so much, even opening bank accounts and giving me numbers to chat!

You are all fantastic!

Wishing you all a very happy, healthy blessed 2009 !
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:00 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never met any of you and everyone has offered to help so much, even opening bank accounts and giving me numbers to chat!

You are all fantastic!

Back at ya Mrs.
Glad it's looking up for ya.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

You are all fantastic!

That's the start of the good news for you...
I hope and I'm sure everything will be back to normal again soon...
Be strong and don't lose focus...
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eva
Back at ya Mrs.
Glad it's looking up for ya.
So pleased things are taking a turn for the better. I hope you have agood Christmas and here's hoping that 2009 brings you everything you wish for.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i have been realiably informed today that if you decide to do a runner, that apparently you will not escape capture, and banks may use 'other means' to find you. there was also something about bouncing cheques and that banks may not throw you straight in jail, they may try to help you first give them back their money.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
i have been realiably informed today that if you decide to do a runner, that apparently you will not escape capture, and banks may use 'other means' to find you. there was also something about bouncing cheques and that banks may not throw you straight in jail, they may try to help you first give them back their money.
And a good Dutch (lawyer) friend of mine told me the UAE doesn't have a treaty with most EU countries. He even doubts they have one with the UK. He told me to go after a Dutch national will take them at least 8 to 10 years, and that is if they succeed. How many Emirati's are on the wanted lists in the EU would amaze a lot of people over there. The UAE doesn't hand them over either. His words "Holland doesn't have a treaty on financial or judicial matters with the UAE, so basically you could rob a bank, or commit murder, step on a plane back home and get away with it..."end quote.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes i would say that was right in the past, but i think with whats been happening in the past couple of weeks, things are a changing and fast and they are changing the law regarding cheques etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.