Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:06 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Originally Posted by USExpat
You are right ofcourse, but what shocked me was the 2+ weeks waiting time to setup a simple bank account in the UAE. I don't even need their cheque book, neither do I need their credit card either. Just an ATM card that I can withdraw money with for my daily needs and internet banking facilities.
It took us about 30 mins to setup the bank account, got the ATM card 3 days later.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Originally Posted by IndieG
Not the case with some banks here - where activating the PIN is a separate exercise (involves the cardholder calling up the bank and providing them with some specific personal information before they activate)
Then the banks here are breaking the visa and mastercard global rules, it is not allowed
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC do it across the table - you have your account number, ATM and cheque book immediately (think for status accounts). And they come to you.

NBAD took a couple of days, took them 2 weeks to send me the cards and PIN

NBD - no idea, check with MM

If the bank is really bad, then it could take more than 3 weeks...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It took us about 30 mins to setup the bank account, got the ATM card 3 days later.
Good afternoon NorthernLad,

That sounds more reasonable to me. May I ask what is required to open an account their? I mean besides physically being in the bank. All I needed here in Holland was my passport and a valid address somewhere in Europe. Do the ATM cards work in Europe? To my amazement my Dutch one worked in Dubai when I was there three months ago.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC do it across the table - you have your account number, ATM and cheque book immediately (think for status accounts). And they come to you.

NBAD took a couple of days, took them 2 weeks to send me the cards and PIN

NBD - no idea, check with MM

If the bank is really bad, then it could take more than 3 weeks...
Thanks Indie
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Then the banks here are breaking the visa and mastercard global rules, it is not allowed
Agree. Most of them are breaking their own rules as well....compliance is very weak.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:21 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon NorthernLad,

That sounds more reasonable to me. May I ask what is required to open an account their? I mean besides physically being in the bank. All I needed here in Holland was my passport and a valid address somewhere in Europe. Do the ATM cards work in Europe? To my amazement my Dutch one worked in Dubai when I was there three months ago.
Aye, it surprised me that in a third world country where 90% of the population still get around on camels that they have ATM machines...and they even work for Visa/Mastercard/Plus/Cirrus etc...

To open a current account we needed residency - we opened a savings account first, gets you an ATM and internet banking. Copy of passport, passport photos, not sure what else as this was 4 years ago.

Then when you get residency you take that along, with salary certificate and they can update it with a current account, then you get cheque book and credit card.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Quick, someone throw a shoe at him.

Originally Posted by MataHari
that's true...but he's American...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get a letter of no objection from my Dad when I opened my first account here
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Quick, someone throw a shoe at him.
Thank you. And yes, good one to. Not a real Bush fan so don't mind. But I can remember a UK girl living in Toronto once whispering to me while waiting in line "If they make one more remark about my British accent? I'll kill someone..." I just smiled "Join the club Miss / Misses UK, do you think it's any better for an American living in Europe?"
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Aye, it surprised me that in a third world country where 90% of the population still get around on camels that they have ATM machines...and they even work for Visa/Mastercard/Plus/Cirrus etc...

To open a current account we needed residency - we opened a savings account first, gets you an ATM and internet banking. Copy of passport, passport photos, not sure what else as this was 4 years ago.

Then when you get residency you take that along, with salary certificate and they can update it with a current account, then you get cheque book and credit card.
Hi NorthernLad,

Thanks for the information. I'm just in that phase where for every answer I get ten more questions pop up unanswered. I've worked in the Far East before, just never the Middle East. IndieG's answers really made me start to think along the lines if it would be a smart move to accept a job in the UAE at this moment. But 14 years ago everyone declared me crazy for accepting a job in the P.R.China as well which turned out to be really great.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bank with Lloyds TSB. Opened account in September.

Took six full weeks for the cheque books to arrive. Credit card and pin number took about a month.

This was after repeated visits and banging on people's desks.

You can open the account within a day. But the cheque book and ATM + PIN (sent separately); Phone Banking; Internet Banking takes a week.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:00 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Took six full weeks for the cheque books to arrive. Credit card and pin number took about a month.

You can arrested for that. Just look at what banging on the beach did to those other two.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Research your industry. If it looks to be on solid grounds, it might be ok making the move (although there will always be the risk). Right now there's no telling how bad the Dubai collapse will be. This may be the worst period and we may end up having a soft landing after shedding the excess jobs (a lot of the companies went on pointless hiring binges for the past year or two, hiring people at high salaries to do not very much work. Those were the ones to go first). Or it could just be a harbinger of what's to come.

If you do come over, just don't enter into any contracts or financial obligations that would make leaving the country difficult. Don't buy a car and don't negotiate your own contract with a landlord. Have the company do all that for you, so if necessary you can just walk out the door and head straight to the airport with no financial liabilities.

My company is fine for now, but I do regret buying a car because if the worst comes, I'll lose the 25K down payment if I can't sell the car when I need to leave (the monthy payments are the same as the monthly car hire was, so no money lost there).

Hi NorthernLad,

Thanks for the information. I'm just in that phase where for every answer I get ten more questions pop up unanswered. I've worked in the Far East before, just never the Middle East. IndieG's answers really made me start to think along the lines if it would be a smart move to accept a job in the UAE at this moment. But 14 years ago everyone declared me crazy for accepting a job in the P.R.China as well which turned out to be really great.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Hi Ethos,

I've had HSBC recommended to me by several people, including a few UK nationals I met here in Holland that have worked in the Middle East. But I'll stick to IndieG's offer to go see her and see what she advises me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.