Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Wikiposts

Lack of Clothes - again

Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

Originally Posted by shiva
The thing that really gets me now though is there is a national debate on dress sense. Not one on using seatbelts for kids, respect and consideration for others on the road,
I very well remember the TV adverts about unbelted kids in cars, they were very shocking. They showed similar adverts in Germany as well.
I wonder why there are no public information 'adverts' shown out in the ME about these dangers? 2 second rule anyone?
One driver in the UK was the savings on the NHS and the emergency services in general if drove with some thought. A figure of something like 1million pounds per accident fatality was quoted. How much could be saved out here? Although I realise that money tends to be a very minor consideration.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I very well remember the TV adverts about unbelted kids in cars, they were very shocking. They showed similar adverts in Germany as well.
I wonder why there are no public information 'adverts' shown out in the ME about these dangers? 2 second rule anyone?
One driver in the UK was the savings on the NHS and the emergency services in general if drove with some thought. A figure of something like 1million pounds per accident fatality was quoted. How much could be saved out here? Although I realise that money tends to be a very minor consideration.
As is a life.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:25 pm
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
They may not necessarily be 'English' But another thought for you. attention seeking. In Northern Europe it's not usual to wear such clothing and you attract a LOT of looks, whereas dressing 'normally' rarely merits a second glance.
Just a thought......
Most of the people who commented on that video either didn't watch it to the end or decided to watch it with the audio on mute. It seems that its so diffucult to immagine that if a woman (eastern or western) decides to cover up and obstains from clubbing and free sex then she is not less intelligent???
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:24 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert_dwellers
Most of the people who commented on that video either didn't watch it to the end or decided to watch it with the audio on mute. It seems that its so diffucult to immagine that if a woman (eastern or western) decides to cover up and obstains from clubbing and free sex then she is not less intelligent???
nobody has said anything about the women being less intelligent so not sure why you're bringing that up.

i like how you're implying that just because a woman wears certain clothes she is enjoying free sex. do you get excited by seeing an ankle by any chance?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:29 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You are a bigot.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:35 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

The are a small minority of women who choose to wear the veil in the UK. having worked on this subject so many times, I can tell you that usually they are very, very uber- religious and often supremely badly educated about why they are wearing the veil in the first place. I remember one girl becoming very aggressive when I talked about the TWO passages in the Koran that speak of women covering (there is much more about men covering.) I wasn't allowed to disagree with her skewed version of events because I wasn't Muslim. And her only argument was to shout and behave in a very hostile manner. Many, many other women I spoke to said they wore it because of family pressure - yes it was their choice but it was a resigned choice and they really didn't have any other option if they wanted to remain within the family circle.

I have several Saudi friends (who live in Dubai) - all but one hate having to be covered. They find it oppressive. Interestingly, the one who is ok with it was educated totally in Saudi whereas the others were sent away at some point.
They do not wear the abaya in Dubai/Abu Dhabi, not do they believe their daughters should. Their take on UAE women wearing the abaya is that they are wearing it to claim their nationality - to proclaim it, make them stand out and be different. They get better treatment and feel more exclusive. Its why an Egyptian friend I had in Abu Dhabi wore one, despite her British Muslim husband hating it and thinking she was bonkers. She wanted to meet Emirati women and to be treated with more respect in malls etc. She wanted people to think she was Emirati, and have all that goes with it. She liked the idea of everyone thinking she was wealthy and exclusive.

It's a cultural thing anyway, and it wasn't national dress until about thirty years ago. Older Emirati women are often bemused by it - I knew one old Bedouin who refused point blank to wear it and who would cackle with laughter every time her western grand daughters-in-law would cover up to leave the house. The veils they used to wear were transparent glittery things which were loosely draped over their heads. The rest of their clothes were like shalwar kameez, embroidered and brightly coloured. They certainly weren't hiding away under black shrouds.

In abu Dhabi I worked with an Egyptian girl who was covered from head to toe - but that covering consisted of a headscarf with clothes that were anything but modest... Skin tight leggings, jeans, tops. She exclaimed that she would never let any man except her husband/family member see her hair, yet you could pretty much see what she had for breakfast.

This argument in the UAE is not really about people being offended over strapless tops and shorts. It's about power and asserting it. It's about reminding the expats who is boss. Like the people who are offended by couples holding hands and pecks on the clerk, or assumed loss of face whilst driving. They're feeling emasculated and terribly righteous. The combined equivalent of z-list VIP's loudly proclaiming "don't you know who I am" and zealous cult members. The trouble is that usually people like that are ignored
and pitied, whereas in the UAE they're all too often taken seriously.

It's so simple, just ask people to keep their shoulders and knees covered in certain places. Nicely. Politely. Most people comply.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
This argument in the UAE is not really about people being offended over strapless tops and shorts. It's about power and asserting it. It's about reminding the expats who is boss. Like the people who are offended by couples holding hands and pecks on the clerk, or assumed loss of face whilst driving. They're feeling emasculated and terribly righteous. The combined equivalent of z-list VIP's loudly proclaiming "don't you know who I am" and zealous cult members. The trouble is that usually people like that are ignored

It's so simple, just ask people to keep their shoulders and knees covered in certain places. Nicely. Politely. Most people comply.
You do know the place you are living in quite well: you know it quite better than some other people i know who have probbaly stayed a longer time and either dont notice all this or pretend not to.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:02 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
x2
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
x2
+1
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:47 pm
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lullabelle
The are a small minority of women who choose to wear the veil in the UK. having worked on this subject so many times, I can tell you that usually they are very, very uber- religious and often supremely badly educated about why they are wearing the veil in the first place. I remember one girl becoming very aggressive when I talked about the TWO passages in the Koran that speak of women covering (there is much more about men covering.) I wasn't allowed to disagree with her skewed version of events because I wasn't Muslim. And her only argument was to shout and behave in a very hostile manner. Many, many other women I spoke to said they wore it because of family pressure - yes it was their choice but it was a resigned choice and they really didn't have any other option if they wanted to remain within the family circle.

I have several Saudi friends (who live in Dubai) - all but one hate having to be covered. They find it oppressive. Interestingly, the one who is ok with it was educated totally in Saudi whereas the others were sent away at some point.
They do not wear the abaya in Dubai/Abu Dhabi, not do they believe their daughters should. Their take on UAE women wearing the abaya is that they are wearing it to claim their nationality - to proclaim it, make them stand out and be different. They get better treatment and feel more exclusive. Its why an Egyptian friend I had in Abu Dhabi wore one, despite her British Muslim husband hating it and thinking she was bonkers. She wanted to meet Emirati women and to be treated with more respect in malls etc. She wanted people to think she was Emirati, and have all that goes with it. She liked the idea of everyone thinking she was wealthy and exclusive.

It's a cultural thing anyway, and it wasn't national dress until about thirty years ago. Older Emirati women are often bemused by it - I knew one old Bedouin who refused point blank to wear it and who would cackle with laughter every time her western grand daughters-in-law would cover up to leave the house. The veils they used to wear were transparent glittery things which were loosely draped over their heads. The rest of their clothes were like shalwar kameez, embroidered and brightly coloured. They certainly weren't hiding away under black shrouds.

In abu Dhabi I worked with an Egyptian girl who was covered from head to toe - but that covering consisted of a headscarf with clothes that were anything but modest... Skin tight leggings, jeans, tops. She exclaimed that she would never let any man except her husband/family member see her hair, yet you could pretty much see what she had for breakfast.

Reasonable posting worth repling to. Again, I am not debating if Burqa is right or wrong ( I personally think it is a tasteless fashion serves no purpose), I am addressing the snobbish attitude of some people.
you quoted examples of women hate wearing it but, at the same time followers of the other camp would quote you similar examples of women wearing the hijab out of logical belief and against the will of their families.
Every healthy human has a fully functioning brain (not just only us) and deserves a full repect
I fail to see your point that those women are "supremely badly educated" when in the video there was an oxford educated english lady of Catholic background intellectually arguing her point as to why she opted for this code of dress.
besides, this logic is really weird, why is it that when a christain nun rejects the natural laws of breeding and wears a dress that covers her from top to bottom she is perfectly sane while if an arab lady wear a similar dress then she has to be uneducated???
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Game, set and match to Lullabelle....one of the best posts I have ever read on this site.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Reasonable posting worth repling to. Again, I am not debating if Burqa is right or wrong ( I personally think it is a tasteless fashion serves no purpose), I am addressing the snobbish attitude of some people.
you quoted examples of women hate wearing it but, at the same time followers of the other camp would quote you similar examples of women wearing the hijab out of logical belief and against the will of their families.
Every healthy human has a fully functioning brain (not just only us) and deserves a full repect
I fail to see your point that those women are "supremely badly educated" when in the video there was an oxford educated english lady of Catholic background intellectually arguing her point as to why she opted for this code of dress.
besides, this logic is really weird, why is it that when a christain nun rejects the natural laws of breeding and wears a dress that covers her from top to bottom she is perfectly sane while if an arab lady wear a similar dress then she has to be uneducated???
I don't think you have actually read what Lullabelle said have you?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Indeed.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:25 pm
Shark Fisherman

Meh, wasting your breath mate. They don't listen only carry in with weak as piss arguments......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.