Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

As an aside and further to my reference to twitter the other day. It really is worth a look at what's being written. Hilarious stuff if slightly scary at times
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:42 am
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
What a strange contribution. What is the relevance, as that is the case just about everywhere in the world?
The relevance is in the fact that the principle of regimenting the behavior of people with regards to public dressing is the same every where, whether it is in the UAE or in the UK (or any other country in the world), the differences are in the details.
I can remember a story in a paper a few years ago of a woman who was breast feeding a baby in the presence of the Queen giving a speech was actually asked to either cover up and stop doing what she was doing or leave the gathering immediately !!!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

(brings out same old record about how we ALL have to pay for the inappropriate bahaviour of a small minority)

Seriously though, why would anyone wear high heels just to go pick up the kids from school?

Or the mall? Ban the barbaric foot-deforming things! And they're so fugly.The bloody things are so dangerous, pregnant women are advised to go without them.

But seriously, how about a code? Some suggestions? As mentioned by Norm (and agreed upon by everyone, I assume), some jeans can be way more 'disrespectful' than a normal short skirt. It isn't simply about length (steady!).

Perhaps a suggestion: if you can't wear it to the parents' meeting at your kid's school then don't wear it in public. Except at a party etc.

If you can't wear it when meeting your date's parents for the first time, don't wear it.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seven seas
(brings out same old record about how we ALL have to pay for the inappropriate bahaviour of a small minority)

Seriously though, why would anyone wear high heels just to go pick up the kids from school?

Or the mall? Ban the barbaric foot-deforming things! And they're so fugly.The bloody things are so dangerous, pregnant women are advised to go without them.
Steady on there captain - I thought this was about % skin to eye ratio - not extending to the whole "wearing nail-polish makes you a sl*t" ethos of the morality cops ?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:15 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

But seriously, how about a code? Some suggestions? As mentioned by Norm (and agreed upon by everyone, I assume), some jeans can be way more 'disrespectful' than a normal short skirt. It isn't simply about length (steady!).

Perhaps a suggestion: if you can't wear it to the parents' meeting at your kid's school then don't wear it in public. Except at a party etc.

If you can't wear it when meeting your date's parents for the first time, don't wear it.
What have heels got to do with this dress code? Unless you have some kind of foot fetish that gives you uncontrollable urges...

Most heels are only dangerous if you throw them.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

So Gulf News isn't paying much attention to the UAE Dress Code then, judging by their recommendations for dresses.

http://gulfnews.com/pictures/life-st...mmer-1.1032028
what's the matter with that dress Meow?? It looks nice..too short for me, but lower the hem and it is fine.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the clothes I would be able to wear to meet a date's parents or to a parent teacher meeting at school at home I can't wear here. And for me, that is exactly the point I was trying to make some time ago...a decent dress, lady like, classy, without sleeves, ending above the knee, I can't wear here without being called immoral and indecent....THAT is what I find ridiculous. I am not on about "clubbing gear" etc. , furthermore, the ,IMHO, decent dresses sold here, are 98% of the summer merchandise seen in shops.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
what's the matter with that dress Meow?? It looks nice..too short for me, but lower the hem and it is fine.
Exactly what I am talking about.....but , oh no!!!! Indecent....you are a scarlet woman, a hussy, immoral if you wear THAT.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:52 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Which dress? There are 10 dresses. According to this code that many are advocating, they are too short and some are too low cut or are strapless.

Someone on Twitter who is for code restriction is now tying themselves in knots trying to defend Gulf News for this article with their argument is that it's OK as they are for parties and they are not public - apparently. They don't seem to understand that is meant by a party dress and that they are worn in public

These people really need to have a good think about what they are coming out with. So many inconsistencies.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:54 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Alexa
Exactly what I am talking about.....but , oh no!!!! Indecent....you are a scarlet woman, a hussy, immoral if you wear THAT.
That's right. It's all about what you wear and nothing to do with your behaviour, attitude or actions.

Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Which dress? There are 10 dresses. According to this code that many are advocating, they are too short and some are too low cut or are strapless.

Someone on Twitter who is for code restriction is now tying themselves in knots trying to defend Gulf News for this article with their argument is that it's OK as they are for parties and they are not public - apparently. They don't seem to understand that is meant by a party dress and that they are worn in public

These people really need to have a good think about what they are coming out with. So many inconsistencies.
I've joined the debate late and being in KSA not UAE gives me an even bigger disadvantge - but i'm a bit confused.

I clicked the link to Gulf news - are they saying that these dresses are perfectly appropriate attire for the region ? In private at home or public - granted they are labelled "party" dresses but are they for prvate parties with hubby only ?

just clear that up for me someone please.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:09 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by goonerseba
I've joined the debate late and being in KSA not UAE gives me an even bigger disadvantge - but i'm a bit confused.

I clicked the link to Gulf news - are they saying that these dresses are perfectly appropriate attire for the region ? In private at home or public - granted they are labelled "party" dresses but are they for prvate parties with hubby only ?

just clear that up for me someone please.

It doesn't say, just calls them party dresses, which to most people means a dress you wear when going out, whether to a party, dinner or brunch, not something you wear at home.

I've seen far more revealing outfits in the UAE and personally don't much care, but there is no consistency in the local press.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

So, by my pool on Friday / Saturday (can't remember which) I saw something that shocked me.

Munter of a woman but with an unbelievable body, massive fake cannons. Sat on a sunbed in a highlighter-pink bikini spreading oil all over herself, all over her tits and up inbetween her legs. A bit innapropriate.

Then upon further inspection I noticed that her bikini barely covered her nips.

Then she stood up and walked to the shower by the pool. It was a thong.

Now, I'm all for seeing the female form but the pool had young kids, ladies in the full covering swimsuit, all sorts, from all over the world.

I deemed what she wore to be massively insulting and innapropriate.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
So, by my pool on Friday / Saturday (can't remember which) I saw something that shocked me.

Munter of a woman but with an unbelievable body, massive fake cannons. Sat on a sunbed in a highlighter-pink bikini spreading oil all over herself, all over her tits and up inbetween her legs. A bit innapropriate.

Now, I'm all for seeing the female form but the pool had young kids, ladies in the full covering swimsuit, all sorts, from all over the world.

shocking...

I believe the term is shocking-pink - as opposed to highlighter-pink....

and says the man who believes dressing like roger taylor from "i want to break free" vid and playing netball is perfectly normal...

Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:36 pm
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp

You'd be surprised how many are in it not for the test but just to make a statement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.