Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Wikiposts

Lack of Clothes - again

Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

Originally Posted by mathematist

Please be balanced is all I ask and see that the for the 100 Arab women Lullabelle has studied who are not comfortable with the Muslim attire in it's various forms, there are 100 000 who willingly wear it.

Furthermore, I also suggest you try to liberate women in China where they are violently forced to abort children and the other billion + country, where there is a class of untouchables, shunned by society and where women had to die when their husbands did. THAT really is oppression, don't you think..?
I'd agree with the first bit: of course there are many women who wear it voluntarily, and sometimes even when their own husbands are not too keen on it.

Nevertheless, what is the point of bringing in China and India? There are many ills there, just as there are different ills in Saudi Arabia when it comes to treatment of women.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:44 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I am perplexed that when Lullaby posts a long thread that you agree with, wow, excellent, Karma etc... and when you try to hear something from the other side of the argument, it's a raging rant etc...

Really, no point anymore in discussing this I suppose. Enough said and leave it at that...
I am not sure where in my brief message you found the word rant or any similar terminology. All I said is that you seem to have a personal agenda when responding to arguments being put forward by fellow posters.

If I felt that your arguments were worthy of praise it would have been given, but unfortunately it's just more of the same. I also fail to understand why you are upset that you are not being given approval for your views. Surely you already realise that your opinions do not reflect the opinions of the average reader of these forums.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:49 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I am perplexed that when Lullaby posts a long thread that you agree with, wow, excellent, Karma etc... and when you try to hear something from the other side of the argument, it's a raging rant etc...

Really, no point anymore in discussing this I suppose. Enough said and leave it at that...
It's because one is a well presented well reasoned and rational argument and the other let's just say isn't.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:50 am
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiva
It's because one is a well presented well reasoned and rational argument and the other let's just say isn't.
In any human society you would find the elites who do the thinking for themselves and for the others are less than 20%, the rest of the society are the herd who do the cheering.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:44 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why certain posters think I'm doing some kind of scientific study or research. I'm a broadcast journalist and TV producer. I'm not studying anything. However, I am incredibly nosy and like human stories. I've always found people to be quite fascinating - there are always stories buried in even the most dull facade.

I'm only speaking from my own experience - so any number of people I quote is neither here or there really. I'm not comparing it with another person's experience, just saying it how I've seen it. Or rather, been told it. I'm lucky to have worked on so many different things that I can rattle off about any old shite really.

The good thing about being nosy and genuinely interested in what people have to say is that more often than not they chat away quite happily about all sorts of things. Often they tell you stuff that they wouldn't tell a more direct and challenging interviewer. So sometimes people open up about subjects that they know are taboo in their culture, but are happy to discuss because it has been brought up in a more intimate manner. Being interested is a remarkable door opener. One of the reasons I enjoyed the UAE was that I was surrounded by stories. It was intoxicating for a nosy Parker.

I'm not and never have professed to be an expert on the subject of dress codes and covering. But i have, as I said before, talked to a lot of women about it. Not read studies, or watched YouTube, but sat down and had a good long natter with a whole variety of women. From Emirati doctors to Tunisian models to bedouin weavers to East London schoolgirls to Omani tourist guides. Not to scientifically appraise them, but to hear their stories. Part of this has involved female modesty and covering. So my ridiculously long posts on the subject are entirely my own interpretation of what these women have told me. You're coming at me with statistics and web video and I'm coming right back atcha with... Well, just with life, really. Real life and real tales.

But go on, call me Lullaby and tell me my studies are flawed if it makes you feel better.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

[/I] and pedantic mare isn't exactly pleasant is it. I won't stoop to your level with pathetic insults to other posters.

Once again, 100 people, not enough for an accurate reflection love.
I stopped reading at this point.

You say it's a pathetic level to just insult someone yet you then, immediately address Lullabelle as 'love'....given the context of this whole discussion, you've just tried waving red rags but actually, made yourself look like even more of a fool.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

In case anyone hasn't clicked yet, India is now officially the worst country on Earth to be a woman; KSA slips into the very slightly less miserable second worse spot.

Last edited by Oyibopeppeh; Jun 20th 2012 at 5:53 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:52 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly surprising:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/dad...-1226402335354
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
In case anyone hasn't clicked yet, India is now officially the worst country on Earth to be a woman; KSA slips into the very slightly less miserable second worse spot.
I can actually believe that. I have a very good friend who is Indian, And I was fortunate to get a little insight into Indian society...well, let me just say this, I am glad not to be Indian.
Of course, those were only stories I was told. By one woman.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Math, aint you got it yet - most of these regular dingbats on here all tend to close in as soon as someone says something one of them doesn't agree with - typical white trash school playground mentality. It's good to read posts like yours and desert dwellers, challenging these d*ckheads and their blatant 'gang up' mentality - i on the other hand enjoy throwing a grenade here and there and then watching these punk arses getting their kickers in a twist . It kills some time And as for normsk or whatever that mofo's name is - he thinks EVERYONE who doesn't agree with him or his half arsed 'friends' on here are trolls....sad ****

Last edited by Sue; Jun 21st 2012 at 5:59 am. Reason: Magic Eraser.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Math, aint you got it yet - most of these regular dingbats on here all tend to close in as soon as someone says something one of them doesn't agree with - typical white trash school playground mentality. It's good to read posts like yours and desert dwellers, challenging these d*ckheads and their blatant 'gang up' mentality - i on the other hand enjoy throwing a grenade here and there and then watching these punk arses getting their kickers in a twist . It kills some time And as for normsk or whatever that mofo's name is - he thinks EVERYONE who doesn't agree with him or his half arsed 'friends' on here are trolls....sad ****.
Participation in any debate relies on analysing and objectively criticising others' opinions, not giving opinion of the people themselves. I suggest you learn and follow that.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Math, aint you got it yet - most of these regular dingbats on here all tend to close in as soon as someone says something one of them doesn't agree with - typical white trash school playground mentality. It's good to read posts like yours and desert dwellers, challenging these d*ckheads and their blatant 'gang up' mentality - i on the other hand enjoy throwing a grenade here and there and then watching these punk arses getting their kickers in a twist . It kills some time And as for normsk or whatever that mofo's name is - he thinks EVERYONE who doesn't agree with him or his half arsed 'friends' on here are trolls....sad ****.
You really are an incredibly sorry example of an oxygen breathing lifeform
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
You really are an incredibly sorry example of an oxygen breathing lifeform
Oxygen thief more like
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

Well the twitter revolution is heating up. Now they are sending the police and the al Ameen service so called insulting tweets. I've read them the ironic thing is they actually missed the real insults and sent on stuff that isn't. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Egypt used twitter to remove a dictator, here it's being used to dress better.....priorities?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:33 am
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Math, aint you got it yet - most of these regular dingbats on here all tend to close in as soon as someone says something one of them doesn't agree with - typical white trash school playground mentality. It's good to read posts like yours and desert dwellers, challenging these d*ckheads and their blatant 'gang up' mentality - i on the other hand enjoy throwing a grenade here and there and then watching these punk arses getting their kickers in a twist . It kills some time And as for normsk or whatever that mofo's name is - he thinks EVERYONE who doesn't agree with him or his half arsed 'friends' on here are trolls....sad c u n t.

you are right there are guys here whose minds are filled with pregidous, but you got to remember that this forum is there homeland, and education is the way forward not confrontation. Also to their credit, those lot are some what milder than the expats back in the eighties and nineties, the Thatcher time, at the time when I used to work in Dubai. Those creatures then had the "we are here to teach the pagans civilization" kind of attitude, the time when the catch phrase "sand niggers" was in circulation. So, yes, still plenty of effort is needed to educate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.